Newcastle 2-1 Liverpool - Post Match Thoughts.

BlufPurdi

Guest SmileyCulture

lol Phil Thompson looked so gutted when the pen was given, everyone in that studio was taking the piss out of the look on his face :p

Ratings

Harper - 6.5 - At fault for the goal, kicking was poor at times... but otherwise was good

Taylor - 7 - Poor in the first half, better in the second. Got up well to win the penalty and made some crucial headers at the end.

Gooch - 8 - Its true, he wins everything in the air. Solid game overall. Keeps it simple. Extra 0.5 for being mistake free (a rarity for us).

Bramble - 6 - Same old

Babayaro - 6 - Average, considering this is his first game in a while. Dives in too easily for my liking.

Nobby - 7.5 - Still the best passer in the team. Good penalty

Parker - 7.5 - Strives in this sort of game. Wet surface gave him the extra zip in the tackle. Used the ball surprisingly well too. One volleyed pass to Milner(which he failed to control) on the left stood out.

Butt - 6.5 - Usual solid performance.

Milner - 6.5 - Tried hard, didnt happen for him.

Dyer - 7 - Full of running, caused Agger plenty of problems in the first half. Faded after the hour.

Martins - 7 - Few chances, used the ball okay still lack that bit of finesse in his game. Scored.

Subs

Sibierski - 6.5 - Came on, fought hard for the ball. Did well.

Duff - 6.5 - Didnt do much except wasting time by the corner flag. Did a good job on that though.

So was it a penalty then?

In my eyes? Yes. I'm biased of course, but Riise definitely caught Taylor and aside from that episode against Villa a few years back Taylor isn't the guy to dive or do anything like that. And to his credit he got straight up after the challenge too.

taylor has had a couple of oscar winning performances over the last few seasons though.

Didn't see the game, so I can't comment on Babayaro's performance today. But it seems to me that  some fans are more critical of him then is frequently justified.

For example, over at the Sky Sport ratings (rubbish), the fan ratings of NUFC players are across the board higher than the ratings given by SSN--- except for Babayaro, who's scores are significantly lower. Fans tend to overrate their heroes and unduly criticize the goats. Fairly typical. He's often just a kickdog for fan frustration.

Not nearly as bad as some like to pretend-- consistently better for us than Carr has been this season.

(Anyway, I'd like to see both  of them replaced in the summer.)

Brilliant result today.  Good to see Thompson so sick at his beloved Pool getting beaten.  He needs to remember that there are two teams playing and we beat you.    :)

Come on then the Roeder out possee?

Changed your fickle tune yet?

I'm prepared to stand up and remain consistent. I hope Roeder is not still the manager at the end of this season. He is barely average at best and we win when we win despite him not as a rsult of him