St James' Park

Delima

I think you could get 20k at the GIS if you build temporary stands behind the goal over the existing, and also infiled the corners. In grounds with a running track there's plenty of room.

Another example that I went to recently was Brescia that has 3 temporary stands (holds 16k):

DSC02617.jpg

DSC02620.jpg

The more I look at those proposals from the 90s the more I like them to be honest. It actually improves the setting and value of Leazes Terrace (although I do love the current juxtaposition of the modernist East Stand alongside it), would retain most of the original layout of Leazes Park while also adding significant green space in extending it. Yes it's 10 minutes further walk from the city centre but a walk like that through an extended Leazes Park would be fantastic setting. You could have outdoor food stalls and stuff on a matchday - although this would definitely require paid clean-up afterwards.

There is very little lost from it, other than open fields of cow shit on Castle Leazes (of which plenty more moorland would remain).

Just dig a massive fuck off hole in the middle of the town moor with the pitch at the bottom and landscape steps up the side of the hill on each side. 100,000 people standing for next to nowt until any modifications to SJP are complete. Then simply fill the hole back up afterwards. Job sorted for next to nowt.

We don't need a new stadium and will not need one for a good while.

While expensive per seat - I'd still be looking to pursue an extension to the Gallowgate (and yes it is still possible but would be challenging and costly) and look to redevelop, refurbish and refresh the existing stadium infrastructure inside and out.

While expensive per seat - I'd still be looking to pursue an extension to the Gallowgate (and yes it is still possible but would be challenging and costly) and look to redevelop, refurbish and refresh the existing stadium infrastructure inside and out.

This is it, like.

100% agree. The best option by some distance.

I think once this goes through they could sell 60-70k regularly like.

I think once this goes through they could sell 60-70k regularly like.

Spend close to £1 billion for 10k extra seats? With what we've got (52k, brilliant location but needs a refresh) it just doesn't add up for me. Spend less than half of that on an extension to Gallowgate (would take us to close to 58k) and full stadium refresh will be more than enough.

Guest neesy111

A new stadium isn't needed.  St James' has the space inside it for a massively improvement of facilities, you could easily turn the carpark in the leazes into something else for example (planning permission dependent).

It is if we want to maximise revenue.

It isn't really - we already have a very high number of corporate commercial facilities compared to most clubs they have just been criminally underused and undersold due to Ashley's running of the club, another run of corporate space over two levels along the length of the Gallowgate and a refresh to what we have already will work very well in this regard.

8-10k extra standard seats doesn't bring in a great deal.

Guest neesy111

It is if we want to maximise revenue.

It isn't really - we already have a very high number of corporate commercial facilities compared to most clubs they have just been criminally underused and undersold due to Ashley's running of the club, another run of corporate space over two levels along the length of the Gallowgate and a refresh to what we have already will work very well in this regard.

8-10k extra standard seats doesn't bring in a great deal.

:thup:

It just needs modernising.

How big is the family enclosure these days? Is it still around 5k?

I remember when I first got my ST in Leazes L7 as an 8 year old in 2001, the waiting list for the 500 seater family enclosure was years. I was never bothered, I much preferred the 'real thing'. It shows how many supporters have left over the years, by creating cheap seats for families (which is great). However, I do wonder for atmosphere and £ if we should be slowly trying to reduce the family enclosure?

Or am I just being harsh...?

Guest neesy111

I remember when I first got my ST in Leazes L7 as an 8 year old in 2001, the waiting list for the 500 seater family enclosure was years. I was never bothered, I much preferred the 'real thing'. It shows how many supporters have left over the years, by creating cheap seats for families (which is great). However, I do wonder for atmosphere and £ if we should be slowly trying to reduce the family enclosure?

I'm sure that will be reviewed, I think it's more than 5k nowadays, it extends most of the way to the away fans.

It's massive, and that was done with very very cheap seats to fill the gaps to prevent L7 being empty.

Can't believe he got rid of that incredible asset behind the Gallowgate. Such a fucking dick.

And the world class manager. And no investment in the facilities.

Why are they buying us? :lol:

Absolute tosh to say we won't need a new stadium if this takeover is successful.

The Ashley years have seen thousands of previously die-hard fans abandon the club (including me) and the average attendances to watch absolute garbage have still been around 50,000.

I reckon new ownership will bring most back on board and any success will mean you'll attract a fair few thousand glory-hunters as well.

Going forward, a 70,000 minimum capacity (which you'll never achieve on the current site) would be required IMHO.