St James' Park

Delima

if we're going to demolish the East Stand I'd prefer we did it whilst it was full on a matchday

:lol:

😄  My wife and I were season ticket holders in the East Stand for 30 years until this season.  I love the humour and understand what you are implying but we made some great mates in there.  It's not that boring, honest (I once got warned/berated from a steward).  Old school you see, hard as owt!  😁

Guest The Little Waster

The ' old new stand ' as old people like me call it is a solid block of concrete , is there no way to rebuild it in a more contemporary style - all glass and metal , see through etc ( See lots of modern office buildings - ie The Gherkin ) that would take care of the light issue as regards Leazes flats ?

The ' old new stand ' as old people like me call it is a solid block of concrete , is there no way to rebuild it in a more contemporary style - all glass and metal , see through etc ( See lots of modern office buildings - ie The Gherkin ) that would take care of the light issue as regards Leazes flats ?

I’m sure if it was knocked down and rebuilt (Leazes/Mliburn glass style) there may be a way of adding in a few more thousand seats at a push. Imagine a fully glass St James’ :megusta:

I almost welled up on my run this morning as SJP came into view from the Walker riverside walk. :lol: It's fucking majestic and I can't wait for it to get the care and attention it deserves.

Does the East stand need knocking down?

Surely it can just be refurbished, it’s not like you’ll be able to expand on the footprint.

Clad the exterior in sandstone rainscreen cladding instead.

I’d change the grey plastic below the Leazers stand window in the same cladding, going along the top of the East stand with a new ‘NEWCASTLE UNITED’ sign in the traditional place and don’t. I’d take the TV screen off the window and put it below. If the Gallowgate was to get a Leazers stand style expansion, I’d do the same on that side as well.

It is always cheaper to build new than to try and rebuild existing structures. I'd hate it, on an emotional level, if we lost that iconic site.

I like the idea of glass not cutting out light but when you walk down Leazes Terrace the stand is already an omnipresent looming force without being even bigger. (Shrug, I'm not an architect).

Seeming as money would be no object when considering what they might do.

Why not take the Camp Nou approach and dig into the ground leaving the pitch much lower? It would solve all sorts of planning issues and you could pretty much bring it up to the level it’s at while still packing in thousands more below.

Barca’s ground is only 48 meters high from street level, SJP is 98 according to google.

The new Wembley is well below ground too iirc.

The pitch is currently at most 3 metres from the front row, where are you going to fit in these extra thousands?

Pitch-side boxes?

Guest The Little Waster

Just build something like this on the site of the Arena.

8eb28dcc-b79f-11e8-8944-5f001c4d0036.jpg

Doubt theres enough land for us to build a stadium on

Guest neesy111

Just build something like this on the site of the Arena.

8eb28dcc-b79f-11e8-8944-5f001c4d0036.jpg

Doubt theres enough land for us to build a stadium on

There is once the arena is moved.

Guest The Little Waster

Look at it via an ariel view the land that the arena sits on is far too small , the extra land next to it that leads down to the river is far too steep

I couldn't be more against moving the ground, like. It's absolutely perfectly located in its current setting. The cathedral on the hill. Hopefully the planned development opposite the Gallowgate is quashed before it gets too far along.

I personally hope we never move from SJP though the Gallowgate land is an issue. Will it be bought back? Can it? If so, I'd just extend the Gallowgate and completely modernise the ground; concourses, facilities, bars, food, drink, seats, everything. But the place is just special; it's location, it's appearance. Just can't imagine us moving away.

Look at it via an ariel view the land that the arena sits on is far too small , the extra land next to it that leads down to the river is far too steep

You can easily flatten that land out.

The thing with the arena site is that it would need to be part of a wide scheme to improve it.

Going to the arena once you pass the Life centre is grim. That railway bridge that isn’t used anymore would have to go, right now it just makes access to the arena grim, and covered in pigeon poo.

The area around there is not the nicest.

On top of that, as much as it’s in the city centre and a stone’s throw away from Central, it still doesn’t feel very much like being in the city centre.

You can easily flatten that land out.

The thing with the arena site is that it would need to be part of a wide scheme to improve it.

Going to the arena once you pass the Life centre is grim. That railway bridge that isn’t used anymore would have to go, right now it just makes access to the arena grim, and covered in pigeon poo.

The area around there is not the nicest.

On top of that, as much as it’s in the city centre and a stone’s throw away from Central, it still doesn’t feel very much like being in the city centre.

A master developer’s dream.

Whys there so much dead land along the quay and so close to the city centre?

It’s not a rich city really, not enough money or people to sustain large scale development?

I’ve always been amazed how little is by the river. Guess there’s just no money in it. Property prices have been static for over a decade as far as I can see, if not longer.

Even in the rest of the city, it’s really difficult to find nice apartments. Maybe people just prefer to live out of town.

It was former industrial land. Quite a chunk of it was or still is owned by Network rail, and they are happy to sit on valuable land that they don’t use and cry poverty.

On top of that a lot of the land was industrial. For a long time if you wanted to build something it was cheaper to buy land outside of towns and cities. It’s why the country has so many business/retail parks, and in a lot of cases, out of town stadiums.

It was former industrial land. Quite a chunk of it was or still is owned by Network rail, and they are happy to sit on valuable land that they don’t use and cry poverty.

On top of that a lot of the land was industrial. For a long time if you wanted to build something it was cheaper to buy land outside of towns and cities. It’s why the country has so many business/retail parks, and in a lot of cases, out of town stadiums.

Much of that land is still needed by rail engineers and to sell strips on either side would raise far less than selling larger chunks in the future. Network rail has sold off loads, sometimes rumour has it, not even at the best price if you get my draft, to developers.

Much of that land is still needed by rail engineers and to sell strips on either side would raise far less than selling larger chunks in the future. Network rail has sold off loads, sometimes rumour has it, not even at the best price if you get my draft, to developers.

Yeah they have been accused of various dodgy deals. The railways arches is a horrendous thing that they did.

It is only recent years though that they have started selling off land, and only because it was pointed out to them how much land they actually have and how little of they use.

They may need some land but they won’t need all that much. They are even wanting to sell off the water tower at the south end of Central station.