St James' Park

Delima

Guest neesy111

The only obvious site is the arena and surrounding area, much of which seems to be sitting vacant waiting for the day a developer swings by.

Yeap.

No doubt these buyers know exactly that part of what makes the club and the city unique is having the stadium dead central in the city. That surely was one of the attractive points that would have enticed them. If we already had a stadium outside the city, there is no way the club would maintain its history, uniqueness and a level of attractiveness to potential buyers.

I trust these people know what they want to do with the stadium and the city. They'll probably hire the best engineers and architects to increase the stadium capacity and modernise it yet keep it in the same place. They've probably have earmarked what and how they'll go about  the stadiums redevelopment to compete with the rest. Look how Spurs did theirs. Its not impossible.

The only obvious site is the arena and surrounding area, much of which seems to be sitting vacant waiting for the day a developer swings by.

Land it's on is twice the size of SJP. The area needs investment and the Arena is due to come down soon anyway. It's the perfect place to build a new stadium if the new owners are inclined to do so.

If you HAD to move the stadium - is Leazes Park still the best place?

I posted earlier in this thread. The place the ground was moving to in 1997 was "Castle Leazes", an area of the Town Moor, not Leazes Park.

https://www.newcastle-online.org/forum/index.php?topic=36257.msg7165509#msg7165509

The development would have encroached slightly into (but also also significantly expanded) the pre-existing Leazes Park. On seeing the plans again, it's not actually bad at all.

As far as I'm concerned, the Town Moor is by and large a massive waste of cow shit covered space. But to build on it you need the freemen's blessing. 

If you HAD to move the stadium - is Leazes Park still the best place?

I posted earlier in this thread. The place the ground was moving to in 1997 was "Castle Leazes", an area of the Town Moor, not Leazes Park.

https://www.newcastle-online.org/forum/index.php?topic=36257.msg7165509#msg7165509

Aye, sorry - that is what I meant. So that site and the vacant arena site? Is there a link anyone can show me?

The Castle Leazes site looks really close to SJP tbh

No doubt these buyers know exactly that part of what makes the club and the city unique is having the stadium dead central in the city. That surely was one of the attractive points that would have enticed them. If we already had a stadium outside the city, there is no way the club would maintain its history, uniqueness and a level of attractiveness to potential buyers.

I trust these people know what they want to do with the stadium and the city. They'll probably hire the best engineers and architects to increase the stadium capacity and modernise it yet keep it in the same place. They've probably have earmarked what and how they'll go about  the stadiums redevelopment to compete with the rest. Look how Spurs did theirs. Its not impossible.

Liverpool did the same too - they just built up!

Land it's on is twice the size of SJP. The area needs investment and the Arena is due to come down soon anyway. It's the perfect place to build a new stadium if the new owners are inclined to do so.

Just did a very rough size comparison and if you knocked down the buildings that face Scotswood Road and go more or less to the river Wembley fits in the space.

A refusal would have definitely been allowed on appeal and a good chance of an award of costs against NCC.

O0 completely agree

The stadium itself has no protected status. The pitch is locally listed but that's it. It is very difficult to argue a decision based on protecting views of the stadium. You couldn't also refuse an application on a site that currently offers very little to the city, on the chance that hypothetically a future proposal may come forward that is better or preferable. That's simpy not how it works. It's frustrating, because I personally think the Strawberry Place development not befitting of the location nor setting of SJP - but little the LPA could do in this instance. And I don't blame councillors for following LPA recommendations - so often they get criticised for doing the opposite.

On a personal level, I'm strongly against a move away from the current location. SJP is in my opinion the best stadium I've been to because of it's central location, and its setting alongside Leazes Terrace and Leazes Park. These are layers of history that reflect the city's identity, and is almost completely unique in British football. Even if we can't wrangle back Strawberry Place for a Gallowgate expansion I'd still be against moving.

A refusal would have definitely been allowed on appeal and a good chance of an award of costs against NCC.

The stadium itself has no protected status. The pitch is locally listed but that's it. It is very difficult to argue a decision based on protecting views of the stadium. You couldn't also refuse an application on a site that currently offers very little to the city, on the chance that hypothetically a future proposal may come forward that is better or preferable. That's simpy not how it works. It's frustrating, because I personally think the Strawberry Place development not befitting of the location nor setting of SJP - but little the LPA could do in this instance. And I don't blame councillors for following LPA recommendations - so often they get criticised for doing the opposite.

On a personal level, I'm strongly against a move away from the current location. SJP is in my opinion the best stadium I've been to because of it's central location, and its setting alongside Leazes Terrace and Leazes Park. These are layers of history that reflect the city's identity, and is almost completely unique in British football. Even if we can't wrangle back Strawberry Place for a Gallowgate expansion I'd still be against moving.

Bang on.

You can’t do that at SJP because it would block out the light to Leazers Terrace.

The only place you can do that is at the Gallowgate end, and you need that land at SJP Metro station to do it.

You could dig down I guess, but that’s assuming it’s possible on the site. It would require pretty much a full demolition of SJP, there would also be a season or 2 without any games being able to be played there.

Unfortunately for us, there is no Wembley stadium on our door step for us to move into temporarily. The nearest ground that could accommodate the majority of our fans is the stadium of shite. That just isn’t going to fly with anyone.

Murrayfield. Although whether

a) The Premier League would allow games to be played in a different country

Or

b) It’s close enough to be logistically feasible

Would remain to be seen.

You can’t do that at SJP because it would block out the light to Leazers Terrace.

The only place you can do that is at the Gallowgate end, and you need that land at SJP Metro station to do it.

You could dig down I guess, but that’s assuming it’s possible on the site. It would require pretty much a full demolition of SJP, there would also be a season or 2 without any games being able to be played there.

Unfortunately for us, there is no Wembley stadium on our door step for us to move into temporarily. The nearest ground that could accommodate the majority of our fans is the stadium of s****. That just isn’t going to fly with anyone.

Realistically, the SoL might be up for sale soon.