St James' Park

Delima

Seeing as there are Puma logos around the roof of the ground, I'd imagine the Sports Direct signs aren't all part of the naming rights deal and some will remain. How class would it be though it they all were part of the deal and Wonga took them down in another wise PR move? Either way, I'm fucking delighted SJP is back, hopefully it stays that way.

Seeing as there are Puma logos around the roof of the ground, I'd imagine the Sports Direct signs aren't all part of the naming rights deal and some will remain. How class would it be though it they all were part of the deal and Wonga took them down in another wise PR move? Either way, I'm f***ing delighted SJP is back, hopefully it stays that way.

Surely they will be replaced by Wonga signs? otherwise why would they buy the naming rights just to change it back to SJP? They've got to gain something, surely it's the advertising space?

Sports Direct advertising will be removed from the OUTSIDE but stay on the inside. After all the match day TV only sees the inside. Come on lads, you don't really think that Wonga have so generously decided to pay for the naming rights to the stadium and decided not use them :D Just for the fans sake .  It is nothing but a sop, to make us accept this poisonous company. Wonga have paid for the shirt rights nothing more, the rest is smoke and mirrors courtesy of Lambias and Ashley.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2012/oct/09/newcastle-united-wonga-deal?commentpage=4#start-of-comments

From David Conn's piece on this.

Derek Llambias, Newcastle's managing director who, with the club's owner, Mike Ashley, has made great strides to win over supporters since Newcastle's low point of relegation in 2009, depicted the deal as one whose cash would help Newcastle compete in the Premier League.

"Wonga's desire to help us invest in our young playing talent, the local community and new fan initiatives really impressed us and stood them apart from other candidates," he said. "I am delighted to welcome Wonga into the fold as our lead commercial partner."

It was not evident, however, that Llambias was quite ready for the level of dislike for Wonga, and the opposition which would greet the deal. Until Tuesday morning the agreement did not include the stadium, which was branded with Ashley's retail company, Sports Direct, until a naming rights buyer was found. Wonga's inclusion of the naming rights was then agreed, with the restoration of the St James' Park name seen as a PR move, because it is cherished by supporters.

Sports Direct advertising will be removed from the OUTSIDE but stay on the inside. After all the match day TV only sees the inside. Come on lads, you don't really think that Wonga have so generously decided to pay for the naming rights to the stadium and decided not use them :D Just for the fans sake . It is nothing but a sop, to make us accept this poisonous company. Wonga have paid for the shirt rights nothing more, the rest is smoke and mirrors courtesy of Lambias and Ashley.

:thup:

I don't believe that Wonga have paid anything to 'rename' the stadium.

Sports Direct advertising will be removed from the OUTSIDE but stay on the inside. After all the match day TV only sees the inside. Come on lads, you don't really think that Wonga have so generously decided to pay for the naming rights to the stadium and decided not use them :D Just for the fans sake . It is nothing but a sop, to make us accept this poisonous company. Wonga have paid for the shirt rights nothing more, the rest is smoke and mirrors courtesy of Lambias and Ashley.

Same

Yup, it's worked a treat too, I doth my marketing professional cap to Dekka and Mike. Well played squires.

Now to see if anything actually changes in terms of getting rid of that SD graffiti.

Derek Llambias, Newcastle's managing director who, with the club's owner, Mike Ashley, has made great strides to win over supporters since Newcastle's low point of relegation in 2009, depicted the deal as one whose cash would help Newcastle compete in the Premier League.

I wonder how they define "competing", especially after their actions (or lack of) this summer.

The first set of Sports Direct lettering was up on the roof a long time before the stadium-renaming farce, just in case anyone's forgotten.

was it?

thought it was put up just after the first attempt (sportsdirect.com@St James Park etc)

The first set of Sports Direct lettering was up on the roof a long time before the stadium-renaming farce, just in case anyone's forgotten.

was it?

thought it was put up just after the first attempt (sportsdirect.com@St James Park etc)

Don't think so, the lettering on the front of the Gallowgate has been there for absolutely ages, pretty sure it went up not that long after Ashley bought us.

How can something so Wonga seem so right.

I said maybe, you're gonna be the one that saves me, and after all, you're my Wongawall.

I read that in the fucking song rythm before I even realized what I was reading. :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is what I said 

That is what I said 

Aye, thought exactly the same.  The proper cynic in me thinks that this deal is about a year old and that they only changed SJPs name a year ago so we would feel better about this grim deal when they subsequently changed it back.

All the same, happy to have SJP back :)