St James' Park

Delima

People spending more than their means is something I'll never understand. I can't even begin to understand people who take out finance on cars.

I agree with half of that. Why doesn't finance for cars make sense to you?

Well I use the example of my Dad. Took finance out for a car he couldn't afford, the monthly payments were far too much and in turn it made us struggle for ages. I'm of the view that if you want something, save up for it and pay it off in one lump sum, therefore no worries.

Well that goes back to him spending more than he could afford, the finance is neither here nor there. As I said, generally I agree with you but expecting people to save up tens of thousands of pounds is a bit unrealistic. Cars and houses are fair game.

I saved  for my RX-8  :p

Nah I totally get it for the houses, but I think for cars there are plenty of choices out there that won't break the bank.

I think we'll agree to disagree with that bit!

People spending more than their means is something I'll never understand. I can't even begin to understand people who take out finance on cars.

Well I use the example of my Dad. Took finance out for a car he couldn't afford, the monthly payments were far too much and in turn it made us struggle for ages. I'm of the view that if you want something, save up for it and pay it off in one lump sum, therefore no worries.

Well that goes back to him spending more than he could afford, the finance is neither here nor there. As I said, generally I agree with you but expecting people to save up tens of thousands of pounds is a bit unrealistic. Cars and houses are fair game.

Nah I totally get it for the houses, but I think for cars there are plenty of choices out there that won't break the bank.

Agree. Defo on cars.

If you only have £1500 to buy a car, buy a £1500 car. :thup:

Agree. Defo on cars.

:thup:

Guest neesy111

I disagree with that on Cars.  It's credit cards etc that are the biggest problems, Cars loans are generally fine.

It's not always cost effective to buy a cheap car over a newer financed car tbh, given the potential savings on upkeep, and the cost of buying another cheap car after the first one goes tits up after a year.

Agree. Defo on cars.

Not sure to be honest. I bought my Smart on credit and I've loved every minute of driving it. The repayments were easily affordable.

Guest neesy111

Financial management should be taught at school.  Would stop a number of people getting into trouble immediately.

Maths?

Some good news :thup:

When is APR etc taught in maths, I'd bet quite a few people coming out of school don't understand anything to do with terms like that.

I can easily understand that - a car is a single, usually high value purchase for which the vast majority of people would struggle to find the cash in one lump. Like a house, for example.

The high interest rate loans thing is a totally different kettle of fish because it targets the vulnerable, financially troubled sectors of society by dangling the option of very fast availability of cash, at an exorbitant interest rate.

Kind of ironic, given the fact that the most financially prudent of us can't generate any income from savings because, errrm, the interest rate is so low.

Good point re booze companies and gambling operations sponsoring football clubs by Benwell Lad, but I was actually talking about Wonga in a non football sponsorship sense.

It's a commonly used argument against pay day loan companies but isn't it just as likely to be a trendy wannabee who wants a new pair of Armani Jeans to go out in on Friday night and can't wait until pay day ?

Guest neesy111

Agree. Defo on cars.

Not sure to be honest. I bought my Smart on credit and I've loved every minute of driving it. The repayments were easily affordable.

Exactly.  What about people who need a car for work but don't have the immediate finance to buy a new one etc.

Financial management should be taught at school.  Would stop a number of people getting into trouble immediately.

Maths?

When is APR etc taught in maths, I'd bet quite a few people coming out of school don't understand anything to do with terms like that.

Anyone who leaves school at 16 who can't fathom out what Annual Percentage Rate is needs burying alive.

Maths?

Yeah I know I'm just kidding, there should be some of it taught.

Guest neesy111

Maths?

Anyone who leaves school at 16 who can't fathom out what Annual Percentage Rate is needs burying alive.

neesy's right like, a bit of brainwashing in school would do some kids the world of good.  I was meant to be vaguely bright and it didn't stop me being shit with money when I went to University.  Would have been nice to have had a few tips and preparation at least.

Guest Slippery Sam

Imagine if it gets replaced by a big f***ing Wonga sign. :lol:

They said it's 'going back to its former glory' so no need to worry.

They're taking the fucking roof off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It always puzzled me why personal finance wasn't taught in schools. That and a brief rundown of politics in this country.

Seem like vital life skills to me when you're dumped into the real world.

Especially when numerous hours are devoted to PSE and General Studies and the like, could just bung this sort of stuff on the end of that syllabus.

Guest Howaythetoon

While they are at it can they give the whole of the stadium a new lick of paint too...

Guest neesy111

While they are at it can they give the whole of the stadium a new lick of paint too...

I'd rather they spent that on some new players tbh.