St James' Park

Delima

Guest reefatoon

Best news from the club in ages tbh :lol: Gimmick and all that, but happy to see the signage go. 1 down, 800,000,000 to go :laugh:

Yeah but they are replacing it with a huge image of Pardew's face

No matter how much 'good' Wonga do to curry favour with NUFC supporters, I will always feel uncomfortable with the thought that some unfortunate lad/lass on Tyneside could be putting money into the club through no fault of his/her own.  Yes, there are individuals who are absolute cretins who need a good shake when it comes to taking out loans, but there must be a lot of totally innocent folk who have just been really unlucky to have to deal with the hand they have been dealt. 

That SD shite should never have been up there in the first place, mind.

If you're thick enough to take a loan out with Wonga you deserve everything you get.

Sometimes people don't have a choice.

Exactly, and that is why Wonga do so well.

Personally, I think the sort of interest rates they charge are entirely unacceptable - it is a dressed up form of money sharking as usually practised by criminals - but I feel pity for people who are forced into that situation where they have no option but to use Wonga.

Assigning some sort of fault at those who use them isn't the answer. Regulating and limiting their voracious financial abuse of those people is.

Don't really want to appear to defend wonga or any other financial institution but for those in desperate circumstances they're actually an alternative to the REAL loan sharks. An expensive alternative sure, but non the less a commercially regulated one.

It's popular to use the huge interest payment arguments to criticise them, but essentially it's a product for short term pay back quickly loans, and used as such is often cheaper than banks or other lenders.

Not many ideal sponsors in football and many would argue they're no worse than the alcohol or gambling based sponsors who can ruin lives and lead unfortunate people towards loan sharks.

Asheys business model now seems to be do something awful so someone pays him to stop it, so...How much will it cost them to get rid of pardew?

Would be crazy to see "Wonga to pay the termination of AP's contract" :lol:

No matter how much 'good' Wonga do to curry favour with NUFC supporters, I will always feel uncomfortable with the thought that some unfortunate lad/lass on Tyneside could be putting money into the club through no fault of his/her own.  Yes, there are individuals who are absolute cretins who need a good shake when it comes to taking out loans, but there must be a lot of totally innocent folk who have just been really unlucky to have to deal with the hand they have been dealt. 

That SD s**** should never have been up there in the first place, mind.

If you're thick enough to take a loan out with Wonga you deserve everything you get.

Sometimes people don't have a choice.

And thickness isn't a matter of choice either.

I don't know, is it?

People spending more than their means is something I'll never understand. I can't even begin to understand people who take out finance on cars.

I can easily understand that - a car is a single, usually high value purchase for which the vast majority of people would struggle to find the cash in one lump. Like a house, for example.

The high interest rate loans thing is a totally different kettle of fish because it targets the vulnerable, financially troubled sectors of society by dangling the option of very fast availability of cash, at an exorbitant interest rate.

Kind of ironic, given the fact that the most financially prudent of us can't generate any income from savings because, errrm, the interest rate is so low.

Good point re booze companies and gambling operations sponsoring football clubs by Benwell Lad, but I was actually talking about Wonga in a non football sponsorship sense.

People spending more than their means is something I'll never understand. I can't even begin to understand people who take out finance on cars.

I agree with half of that. Why doesn't finance for cars make sense to you?

Guest neesy111

Financial management should be taught at school.  Would stop a number of people getting into trouble immediately.

Surely finance for cars is far more logical than what some people use loans for - holidays, etc.

Financial management should be taught at school.  Would stop a number of people getting into trouble immediately.

I bet that's on Gove's list of subjects.

About six pages lower than classical greek, latin and British Empire Studies, the gigantic fucking anachronism.

Well I use the example of my Dad. Took finance out for a car he couldn't afford, the monthly payments were far too much and in turn it made us struggle for ages. I'm of the view that if you want something, save up for it and pay it off in one lump sum, therefore no worries.

Guest neesy111

The problem is not the finance but those thinking they can afford it but can't on big purchases.  Most people wouldn't be able to have cars if you couldn't purchase them on credit.

Well I use the example of my Dad. Took finance out for a car he couldn't afford, the monthly payments were far too much and in turn it made us struggle for ages. I'm of the view that if you want something, save up for it and pay it off in one lump sum, therefore no worries.

Well that goes back to him spending more than he could afford, the finance is neither here nor there. As I said, generally I agree with you but expecting people to save up tens of thousands of pounds is a bit unrealistic. Cars and houses are fair game.