St James' Park

Delima

I wonder what would happen in Spain or Italy if clubs threatened to move, I love the Mestalla which is right in the heart of the city and it just seems to go up and up, probably controversial but I would love another tier on the east stand and TBF I'm not to bothered about the Leazes Terrace right to light.

I love SJP. The club has played there since its inception and countless generations of supporters have watched us play at that same patch of grass for years. I don't want us to move. If you asked an Arsenal fan, Man City fan, Spurs fan or maybe even a Brentford fan if they preferred Highbury, Maine Road, White Hart Lane or Griffin Park respectively I think we all know what they would choose. Still, Arsenal can't fill the Emirates despite what their attendances claim. Same with Man City and recently Spurs. 

Is moving away and demolishing part of the original fibres this club was built on worth it for an extra few thousand seats and a diluted atmosphere? I don't think it is. Would we even fill a 70k stadium? Maybe for when the big 6 sides visit but not when we play Norwich or Burnley at home on a Tuesday night. We didn't sell out those exact fixtures this season and both were post takeover. 

I'd possibly entertain the idea of the 1997 Castle Leazes plans but if its far out of the city centre then fuck it off. I'd rather we look for ways to expand SJP whether that's expanding the Gallowgate or other means and modernise it. Get the concourses proper modern a la Spurs but bring in local food and stuff like Wylam or Tyne Bank beer. Give the Platinum Club a proper modern sports bar like appearance and added benefits of sitting there. 

Stuff like that.

15 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

Castle Leazes or a Gallowgate extension (if feasible with the metro station underneath) are the only viable options. There's zero chance of extending the east stand, whether Ben is bothered or not.

Valencia North Stand with a roof ? 

14 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I love SJP. The club has played there since its inception and countless generations of supporters have watched us play at that same patch of grass for years. I don't want us to move. If you asked an Arsenal fan, Man City fan, Spurs fan or maybe even a Brentford fan if they preferred Highbury, Maine Road, White Hart Lane or Griffin Park respectively I think we all know what they would choose. Still, Arsenal can't fill the Emirates despite what their attendances claim. Same with Man City and recently Spurs. 

Is moving away and demolishing part of the original fibres this club was built on worth it for an extra few thousand seats and a diluted atmosphere? I don't think it is. Would we even fill a 70k stadium? Maybe for when the big 6 sides visit but not when we play Norwich or Burnley at home on a Tuesday night. We didn't sell out those exact fixtures this season and both were post takeover. 

I'd possibly entertain the idea of the 1997 Castle Leazes plans but if its far out of the city centre then fuck it off. I'd rather we look for ways to expand SJP whether that's expanding the Gallowgate or other means and modernise it. Get the concourses proper modern a la Spurs but bring in local food and stuff like Wylam or Tyne Bank beer. Give the Platinum Club a proper modern sports bar like appearance and added benefits of sitting there. 

Stuff like that.

Burnley 100% sold out other than some gaps in their section. I know this because my brother came home from offshore on the Friday night beforehand and tried to get a ticket and they were sold out. Tbf Norwich was midweek with virtually no travelling support (all the usual home sections were sold out amd there were some home fans in the usual away section) and we were without a win all season. Still over 50k there.

Maybe I'm not as attached to SJP as some. I've been going there since 1983 but it's completely different to what it was back then, other than the East Stand and even that has been remodelled.

I just hate the thought of 1000s of youngsters across Tyneside and beyond, the future of NUFC, the next generation, being locked out of seeing their heroes play. If I'd had been locked out and unable to get in back in 83/84 maybe I wouldn't have grown up to be a Newcastle fan.

If land be be acquired within walking distance of the city centre where a new super 65/70k stadium I think it would be put to serious consideration as part of the plan to make this club one of, if not the biggest club in World football. I don't think they've bought us with the intention of us being anything else.

Could Leazes terrace not be incorporated into a new East Stand development, basically purchase the building and incorporate it into the stand. Purchase and bulldoze the offices backing onto boot boy alley and hey presto we’ve got space for a new structure. Before anyone scoffs these people build city’s and if I remember correctly Leazes Terrace is currently Middle Eastern owned.

My own preference is Castle Leazes or a spectacular stadium down by the riverside. We could create something for the ages with this backing and everyone in the stadium would have great sight lines. I’ve got no doubt St Jame’s would look better with an extended Gallowgate and East Stand, but I’m no fan of the current lop sidedness and wouldn’t thank you for a seat in level 7.

5 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Could Leazes terrace not be incorporated into a new East Stand development, basically purchase the building and incorporate it into the stand. Purchase and bulldoze the offices backing onto boot boy alley and hey presto we’ve got space for a new structure. Before anyone scoffs these people build city’s and if I remember correctly Leazes Terrace is currently Middle Eastern owned.

My own preference is Castle Leazes or a spectacular stadium down by the riverside. We could create something for the ages with this backing and everyone in the stadium would have great sight lines. I’ve got no doubt St Jame’s would look better with an extended Gallowgate and East Stand, but I’m no fan of the current lop sidedness and wouldn’t thank you for a seat in level 7.

I could have typed that myself word for word. Agree with it completely. I'm desperate to get my ST back next season but if L7 is the only area available I'll probably not bother and take my chances match by match. Hate it up there. Feels so detached from the rest of the ground looking straight over the East Stand and onto the Gallowgate roof and the atmosphere up there suffers badly as a result.

11 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

If land be be acquired within walking distance of the city centre where a new super 65/70k stadium I think it would be put to serious consideration as part of the plan to make this club one of, if not the biggest club in World football. I don't think they've bought us with the intention of us being anything else.

Arsenal moved to the Emirates to "compete with Bayern Munich". They can't fill it.

Man City, with the team, manager and recent years they've had still can't fill their 54,000 stadium and that's with ADUG having the same aims as PIF.

The atmospheres at both are shit. I'd rather we stay at SJP if expansion is possible and hold tickets back for general sale as is legally required but also for schools/kids. A soulless library like bowl stadium is not something I'd like to mull purely to have a few thousand extra seats which we're not even guaranteed to sell for every game. SJP with an expanded Gallowgate would be fine.

7 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Arsenal moved to the Emirates to "compete with Bayern Munich". They can't fill it.

Man City, with the team, manager and recent years they've had still can't fill their 54,000 stadium and that's with ADUG having the same aims as PIF.

The atmospheres at both are shit. I'd rather we stay at SJP if expansion is possible and hold tickets back for general sale as is legally required but also for schools/kids. A soulless library like bowl stadium is not something I'd like to mull purely to have a few thousand extra seats which we're not even guaranteed to sell for every game. SJP with an expanded Gallowgate would be fine.

Arsenal's post invincibles rebuild and subsequent inability to build a team properly has more to do with that re: Bayern IMO

Man City never had a rabid fan base like ours and has only been where they are in the modern era given the pull Man United have, you know very well that is why they never fill their stadium. 

I know what you're saying though, just the examples aren't exactly the best.  Everyone always says these new stadiums are soulless bowls - not every stadium is that and I'm certain you could build a really beautiful one with the right group giving a ton of homage to SJP. 

Edited by Kanji

9 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Arsenal sell out every week. Try getting a ticket for one of their games and see how you get on. They have a problem with some fans simply not turning up to certain games. They also suffered from a lack of atmosphere at Highbury, hence its nickname the Highbury Library. Man City are also handicapped by sharing a city with the most successful club in the UK and arguably the biggest supported club in the world.

3 minutes ago, LV said:

I don’t want to move. And I don’t care if it’s not expanded. It’s mint the way it is 

Got to do one or the other though, otherwise a large number of fans are going to miss out including (importantly) the next generation.

16 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Arsenal's post invincibles rebuild and subsequent inability to build a team properly has more to do with that re: Bayern IMO

Man City never had a rabid fan base like ours and has only been where they are in the modern era given the pull Man United have, you know very well that is why they never fill their stadium. 

I know what you're saying though, just the examples aren't exactly the best.  Everyone always says these new stadiums are soulless bowls - not every stadium is that and I'm certain you could build a really beautiful one with the right group giving a ton of homage to SJP. 

Our average attendance since the Level 7 extensions were built is edit: over 48,000, this includes a period of 14 years under Ashley and two relegations. If we can get that many after the Ashley years, then I'm quite confident we can fill a new stadium.

Edited by et tu brute

3 minutes ago, Sima said:

What opinion do Bayern fans have of the Allianz Arena? Do they hate it? Do Atletico fans hate the Wanda Metropolitano?

Not sure of that but I've got friends in Holland and quite a few weren't keen when Ajax moved to the Amsterdam ArenA in the mid 90s. Took them a few years to settle in and the atmosphere suffered as a result. Nowadays it's a Cauldron of noise, the F Side have their huge section behind one of the goals, they have another large fangroup in another corner behind the opposite goal and the place is absolutely bouncing these days.

Ultimately its the people inside who make a stadium.

As long as the location is good, there's a football field with enough seats around it, and a team who's trying to better themselves every day, who the fuck cares how it looks really? :lol: Who's going to say ah naw can't cheer for my team today because the stadium looks like shit, or fuck no am I going to support my team in that ugly bowl, I can't be seen in such a ghastly place.

14 minutes ago, Ben said:

Valencia North Stand with a roof ? 

It would need a support structure etc. behind the existing stand, there just isn't room for it, there would be columns in the middle of the road at least. The east stand already cantilevers out over the road a bit and is within touching distance of St. James Street (also listed).

It would be likely to need at least the end of St. James Street to be demolished, it would almost certainly be considered to have an unacceptable impact on the stetting of Leazes Terrace, even if it doesn't impact on it physically. Then there's the loss of light and overbearing impact on the flats in Leazes Terrace which would probably be unacceptable in planning terms. And there's also possible common law right to light issues (which scuppered Chelsea's stadium plans). It's a non-starter.

Some great posts. I agree with the general thread around the pointlessness of having a much bigger stadium if it can't be filled. Hopefully, in their quest for growth and generating more interest domestically and overseas, the owners will recognise that the authenticity of a club is arguably its biggest draw. The history and identity is a huge part of the attraction, so staying at SJP and retaining its contained features should make commercial sense as well as actual sense. Refurbish, upgrade, modernise - but keep the soul. 

8 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

It would need a support structure etc. behind the existing stand, there just isn't room for it, there would be columns in the middle of the road at least. The east stand already cantilevers out over the road a bit and is within touching distance of St. James Street (also listed).

It would be likely to need at least the end of St. James Street to be demolished, it would almost certainly be considered to have an unacceptable impact on the stetting of Leazes Terrace, even if it doesn't impact on it physically. Then there's the loss of light and overbearing impact on the flats in Leazes Terrace which would probably be unacceptable in planning terms. And there's also possible common law right to light issues (which scuppered Chelsea's stadium plans). It's a non-starter.

You are obviously correct, but tbf if I moved into Leazes Terrace I wouldn't be going for the sunlight, most of it is in shadow now anyway.

As long as it remains as near as possible to the current site and looks nothing like any other stadium I’d be up for an 85k stadium bearing in mind more away fans will want to visit than the usual 3k.

Purpose built with loads of Rail Seating and a roof.

Edited by LFEE

Overseas fan, so not sure how much my opinion counts :) but one of the reasons I fell in love with Newcastle, and English football in general is how much tradition, culture and community blend into the club and the football itself. Even though i haven't had the pleasure to visit, St James park in the city center on the hill is a glorious sight, and one that i associate closely with the soul of our club. everything about the area and the stadium itself creates such a special and unique atmosphere and I would be terrified to lose it.

I just hope that all of the potential future success doesn't rip the heart out of the club, although that seems almost inevitable to a degree when big money gets involved.

I don't know anything about architecture or the geography of Tyneside, but I just hope the plan is to extend where possible, or worse case scenario, build a new venue nearby. And if we must build a new venue from scratch, they need to maintain some of the traditional aspects of the ground. Please none of these soulless modern bowls with the fans miles away from the pitch. 

West Ham is a great example of the damage that can be done to a club behind the guise of "progress". The Boleyn ground in Upton park had a great atmosphere along with Green street and all of the other local aspects that made it famous. Pay attention this weekend to what a new stadium can do to a fan base. they're close to becoming another plastic London Football club, and any West Ham fan i've seen speak about it regrets the day they left. I just don't want us to make an irreversible mistake amongst all of the euphoria and pounds of cash swirling about.