St James' Park

Delima

1 minute ago, Tross said:

Disagree. We need to stay at St James' to protect identity. Once we make that move away its the final nail in the coffin. 

I get that identity thing. But then we will become a bottom half team and in the longer term a Championship side.

St James Park has been great and could be a good place for a few more years. But times change, weather we want it or not.

We now have the owners who could really put serious money in to build a stadium who can become great for many years to come. It won't be the same, but in a few years it will be a new identity who will also be good. It's the people that make the identity in the end.

Bottom line is St James Park aren't fit for perpose any longer and gap to other clubs will become bigger for every year.

It holds us back.

I find it interesting the difference between opinions on here when it comes to building a new stadium, compared to that of the NUST survey a while back.

The majority (or atleast the majority who post in the specific thread) on here seem to favour building a new stadium entirely, and seem to want to equate PIF not doing that as a lack of ambition, where as (if I remember correctly) about 90 of the NUST surveyed said that they don't want us to move out to SJP at all. 

1 minute ago, 54 said:

I find it interesting the difference between opinions on here when it comes to building a new stadium, compared to that of the NUST survey a while back.

The majority (or atleast the majority who post in the specific thread) on here seem to favour building a new stadium entirely, and seem to want to equate PIF not doing that as a lack of ambition, where as (if I remember correctly) about 90 of the NUST surveyed said that they don't want us to move out to SJP at all. 

I have a feeling a lot of people have changed their opinion sience the survey though.

Just now, Toon No9 said:

I have a feeling a lot of people have changed their opinion since the survey though.

Yeah, I have also said that if you give people a render of what a new SJP or Castle Leazes stadium would look like, then give them the option, rather than asking if they would move, then you’d get a lot more people on board.

Also, how many people currently have a season ticket and say they want to stay at SJP, but would moan when their season ticket reaches over £1,000?

We won’t get left behind without a new stadium, nor will we without renovating SJP.

What the stadium will signal is ambition from our owners because that is a clear question to some “are they in it for the long haul?” It’ll hopefully settle some who are worried about that locally and globally. It’ll also hopefully get more fans in the building which clearly needs to happen. 

As equal is the training ground, if not more, which is a signal to future signings for first team (+ their agents), the academy development and women’s football team. 

again we have so many unique barriers to quickly make this stadium announcement that it’s taken this long. And good on them for being thorough on this, it appears the club don’t own much land in the city which is another barrier. 

Edited by Kanji

17 minutes ago, 54 said:

I remember discussing this with someone at the time but the way the survey was worded was poor.

What is your preference on the future of St James’ Park?

19% – New stadium

73% – Renovated SJP

8% – No preference

It's a massive oversimplification of the options on the table. If you asked me to choose from those three I'd say "Renovated SJP" but how much are you renovating it? 5k extra on the Gallowgate I'd say no thanks. Same with those saying "New stadium", I bet a fair chunk of that 19% would change their mind if that new stadium was miles outside the city centre

I think you have to be realistic on what non European sports can be attracted to the city and stadium and what the city will do to incentivize that; remember you pay to play for that stuff. What concerts from global stars could come? Newcastle is gorgeous, but the hotel lodging needs to improve a bit more too in terms of # rooms and quality. 

PIF and The Reubens could solve the commercial stuff pretty quickly, mind you. Again, would like to see them say they are building a 250 room 4-5 star hotel in the city centre and maybe even building affordable housing in or outside the city. They’ve got to help the region (didn’t they say they would?)

2 minutes ago, Kanji said:

I think you have to be realistic on what non European sports can be attracted to the city and stadium and what the city will do to incentivize that; remember you pay to play for that stuff. What concerts from global stars could come? Newcastle is gorgeous, but the hotel lodging needs to improve a bit more too in terms of # rooms and quality. 

PIF and The Reubens could solve the commercial stuff pretty quickly, mind you. Again, would like to see them say they are building a 250 room 4-5 star hotel in the city centre and maybe even building affordable housing in or outside the city. They’ve got to help the region (didn’t they say they would?)

Reuben’s are converting fire station in to 5 star hotel.

27 minutes ago, 54 said:

Always think survey results are very subjective. It all depends on how clever and clear the questions are.

For example i could ask 1000 match going fans would you prefer to stay at SJP and you’ll get a simple yes from the majority.

If you ask the same 1000 are you prepared to give up your Season Tickets for 4+yrs to assist in renovations of SJP you’d get a much different answer.

If you ask the same 1000 you’ve had your stint attending so due to size the ground is going 100% general sale again you’d get a different answer.

If you ask the same 1000 that we will be restricted in our player spending if we remain again you’d get a different response.

If you you continually pose the question to those who think they OWN their seat and went through the Ashley years happily you’ll always get a high % wanting to remain. You can’t just ask would you prefer to stay or move and not spell out the consequences of each option.

It’s like Brexit all over again. 

Emotionally, I don't want us to move away from SJP, so a proper revamp and extension would be my personal preference, however that is done, and that's how I'd have answered it at the time. But I've been kind of persuaded by some of the arguments on here that Castle Leazes and much bigger capacity might be the best option.

Outside the city centre is a no-no for me.

Also, if PIF don't want to be in it for the long term and just want to maximise their investment, then that's fine. More than fine actually, given what went before.

I'm probably more fussed about the training ground and academy etc as that's something shorter term they could add lasting value to, if they do recalibrate ambitions or move on. 

Think we've lost a lot in terms of vision and ambition with Staveley going, which is probably why I'm even typing all that. Eales has big shoes to fill.

Edited by Abacus

4 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Newcastle needs a new indoor arena, the Sage site is in doubt now, if an arena could be incorporated that could bring in a decent amount of additional revenue.

Just now, Jackie Broon said:

Newcastle needs a new indoor arena, the Sage site is in doubt now, if an arena could be incorporated that could bring in a decent amount of additional revenue.

Dare I say, a new stadium on castle Leazes with a roof that closes for that type of thing….

SJP is aging fast, and licks of paint etc is just papering over the cracks. Most top sides over past 10years or so, have either massively renovated their stadium or moving into new ones. 

We are neither, and likely can’t be moving forward if we were to remain at SJP.

A decision needs making this year, and a new stadium would be a massive signal of intent from PIF that they’re here for the long term IMO. As you would be talking around £1bn mark. 

About to have the 8th largest stadium in the league.  We are falling behind. 

If PIF / Reuben ambition is real I’m also looking for them to build supporting infrastructure. 

SOL gets the big stadium tours from Taylor Swift, Beyoncé etc. and the like no? Why is that? Surely that’s easy food for PIF and Reuben’s?

13 minutes ago, Sima said:

The service in these bottomless brunches is deliberately shite to maximise profits. It’s common to only get 6-8 drinks in your two hours.

If you’re wanting to neck cocktails at a rate of <15 mins per go for two hours, you may as well sit at home with a bottle of your chosen spirit, as it’ll end up having the same net effect.