St James' Park

Delima

4 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

Big bit on the the overlap re atmosphere today and English football atmosphere in decline due to the more "modern football fan".

Ironic that cunt from man u trying to give reasons for the decline in atmosphere

It's down to the likes of you ya fucking prick.

1 minute ago, Jack27 said:

New stadium would cost double that, apparently 

I’ll admit, I’m no expert in stadium costs. The big American ones do seem to be well more than a billion though. 

Thing is a new build could easily have 10,000 more seats in it, and that is without taking into account corporate availability.

If you times that by an average ticket price of £50.00, over the course of a season only account for league home games, that is £9.5m.

These are very conservative numbers, plus add on what the price of advertising a new build would go for compared to what advertising at SJP would go for, and the backlash to go with it.

An extended SJP isn’t going to host many other events either.

4 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Thing is a new build could easily have 10,000 more seats in it, and that is without taking into account corporate availability.

If you times that by an average ticket price of £50.00, over the course of a season only account for league home games, that is £9.5m.

These are very conservative numbers, plus add on what the price of advertising a new build would go for compared to what advertising at SJP would go for, and the backlash to go with it.

An extended SJP isn’t going to host many other events either.

And the stadium naming rights too. That'll be worth millions

The Sven Adult Books Magpie Megadome has a certain charm to it I think

21 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

Big bit on the the overlap re atmosphere today and English football atmosphere in decline due to the more "modern football fan".

Mind you been saying it for ages if you added Standing next to away fans and some in leazes east stand corner would make a huge difference. Any noise started carrys in leazes issue is thousands of people in there cba to start anything. Was an easy fix in the summer but the club didn't do anything.

We'll have NUFC fans in the safe standing bit next to the away fans tonight and the miserable bastards will all sit down and not make a peep.

Just now, Wallsendmag said:

We'll have NUFC fans in the safe standing bit next to the away fans tonight and the miserable bastards will all sit down and not make a peep.

Rights. And I bet they stand up at half time anarl

The demographic of the average supporter in the PL a a few years ago am sure, was said to be men in their 40's or 50's and from more middle class backgrounds.

The regular man on the street was priced out long ago, but that was always the intention I believe.

5 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

I wouldn’t be so sure about that.

I mean, part of me is obviously scared but I feel like they understand the importance of the club to the city and vice versa. I also think Newcastle is an affordable enough city to be able to acquire the land we need. 

Just now, Big Geordie said:

The demographic of the average supporter in the PL a a few years ago am sure, was said to be men in their 40's or 50's and from more middle class backgrounds.

The regular man on the street was priced out long ago, but that was always the intention I believe.

Define middle class ?

(Hi polic :iamatwat:)

Interesting that it says if we decide to stay and expand that work would have to start next summer to be ready for the Euros. I wonder if that's just a guess or based on info. as I would have thought the timeline would be further out than that.

5 minutes ago, madras said:

Define middle class ?

(Hi polic :iamatwat:)

Being able to afford a season ticket, without having to scrimp and scrape. Many of the lads I used to go with 30+ years ago don't get regularly any more because they've been priced out. I include myself in that, btw!

Edited by Big Geordie

As mentioned earlier, Jon Champion did the worldwide feed comms and mentioned (said it like it was a fact, announced, etc.) that we'd be redeveloping on the same site. He obviously and likely heard a rumor and probably didn't do much else with it but wanted to mention again here. 

The cost of a new stadium is thought to be far more expensive, though, with an estimated bill of between £2 billion-£3 billion. 

Surely he’s just making numbers up here? A quick google would suggest even accounting for inflation it would be comfortably the second most expensive sports stadium of all time?!

Appreciate that raw materials etc have gone up significantly the last five years.

Edited by GeordieT

I’m going to say this, and it’s going to sound very selfish, but it applies to most of us non-season ticket holders. An expanded SJP of 60k or slightly more capacity doesn’t get me into SJP.

So far this season I have applied in 5 ballots, and lost in all of them. Last season I only got a few tickets. Wit demand like it is now, and if we do gain success, as the current owners intend, then demand will increase, it will just not be enough.

Although the club continue to insist they have not made a final decision on whether to improve their existing stadium, or move to a new purpose built site elsewhere in the city, Telegraph Sport understands detailed architectural plans for the expansion of St James’ Park have been drawn up and studied.

Those plans have focused on the expansion and redevelopment of both the East Stand and the Gallowgate End, with the capacity of the stadium rising to more than 60,000 if the work goes ahead.

There is also believed to be scope to modernise both the Milburn Stand and the Leazes End, which were built more than 20 years ago. The estimated cost is between £800 million and £1 billion, depending on the final details of the project.

As revealed earlier this year, Newcastle will need to extend the leasehold on St James’ Park, which expires in 70 years, if they agree to stay put.

Newcastle have repeatedly insisted any decision will be discussed with the club’s fan advisory board before it is announced and rejected the idea that a decision has already been made in private.

A club spokesman said: “It would be wrong to say a decision has been made. All options remain on the table.”

The alternative option is to build an entirely new stadium, with the land currently occupied by Leazes Park earmarked.

The park is adjacent to St James’ Park and would mean the club could remain in the city centre. Other sites, though, could come into play if Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment fund decide it wants an entirely new, purpose-built stadium as part of their long term vision for the future of the club. As things stand, PIF has not signed off on either project and are still considering all the options available.

The cost of a new stadium is thought to be far more expensive, though, with an estimated bill of between £2 billion-£3 billion. The project would almost certainly face a series of legal challenges from those who wish to protect the green space in the heart of the city, which is likely to delay the start of construction even further.

Sources have stressed to Telegraph Sport the delay in announcing a decision on Newcastle’s stadium plan is caused by the fact they want to make sure they get the decision right and that any project would deliver in a suitable period of time.

33 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

That's also the reason why stadiums have so less atmosphere than previous generations, and that will be the case whether we remain at St James or move IMO.

Does anyone think that's been leaked to gauge reactions?

I wonder if it's been leaked to generate support for a new stadium as fans are already having the argument about '£xxxm Vs £xbn - let's just do it once and do it properly' sort of thing.

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Article doesn’t suggest that though.

It doesn't, it's purely my opinion.

I think, the ability to design the stadium how they want, bringing everything from matchday food and drink under the NUFC umbrella would be too enticing commercially. That would trump and notion of the club being tied to the city centre.

Its the way football is going. The ongoing corporatisation /  making it more like the US sports experience. Whatever you want to call it. 

Build it and they will come is the top and bottom of it though. They'll still fill it, it'll be more commercially viable and people will lap it up. 

1 minute ago, Doctor Zaius said:

It doesn't, it's purely my opinion.

I think, the ability to design the stadium how they want, bringing everything from matchday food and drink under the NUFC umbrella would be too enticing commercially. That would trump and notion of the club being tied to the city centre.

Its the way football is going. The ongoing corporatisation /  making it more like the US sports experience. Whatever you want to call it. 

Build it and they will come is the top and bottom of it though. They'll still fill it, it'll be more commercially viable and people will lap it up. 

I'd love the opportunity to buy a season ticket again. I doubt I'd get one, but I know for a fact I won't get one at St James in the forseeable future.