St James' Park

Delima

The plans allow for SJP to be extended.

Great news. Whered'ya hear that?

I was at the consultation today at the Sandman.

Grand, did the option for still extending actually look feasible or did it look a bit of an afterthought/sop to the supporters?

Thought more people would be disappointed that Ashley is about to kill the prospect of ever extending the ground stone dead.

Only other option would be to build a new stadium out of town and call it Sports Direct Arena.

you could always dig down to squeeze another few in or extend inwardly across the top of the gallowgate , leazes , east stand and west stand also to add a few more.

The plans allow for SJP to be extended.

Great news. Whered'ya hear that?

I was at the consultation today at the Sandman.

Grand, did the option for still extending actually look feasible or did it look a bit of an afterthought/sop to the supporters?

The majority of the buildings are right at the front, only one building will be built near SJP and that is still not inline with any future extension of the Gallowgate. Nexus did not want them building at the top (where the advertising boards are because of the tunnels, however a future expansion of the Gallowgate stand is possible, complicated but possible.

The two reasons for not building there were because of Nexus's requests, and because of uproar from supporters, however I think if Nexus didn't make any requests then they would have planned buildings there.

so thats going behind the gallowgate, but enough room to expand to level 7 in future?

Yes, the photo's don't reflect a true impression of their placement. These buildings will be opposite the Chinatown arch, there will be a significant gap behind them, in fact you could place another of building of the same foot print behind it and still have room to expand tje Gallowgate stand.

Are we stuck with the East Stand as it is forever with the listed buildings behind it? It already looks out of place from outside from the stadium as a whole point of view, but if we ever got the Gallowgate extended it would stick out like a sore thumb. There doesn't appear a lot can be done about it. I do quite like walking past that side of the stadium with the buildings  though because they fit in together. It seems it'll still look exactly the same in another 50 years!

Are we stuck with the East Stand as it is forever with the listed buildings behind it? It already looks out of place from outside from the stadium as a whole point of view, but if we ever got the Gallowgate extended it would stick out like a sore thumb. There doesn't appear a lot can be done about it. I do quite like walking past that side of the stadium with the buildings  though because they fit in together. It seems it'll still look exactly the same in another 50 years!

I've always wondered if something like the FC Kaiserslautern stadium in Germany is possible for the east stand

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/62/Kaiserslautern_03.jpg

Could extend up and back with another tier on top without necessarily adding depth at ground level (ie the need to get rid of leazes terrace).  It wouldnt fit with the rest of the staium and probably look pretty ridiculous from the outside too.  I think there's some laws about sunlight onto leazes terrace which would be blocked too though (could be remembering that completely wrong)

I've always wondered if something like the FC Kaiserslautern stadium in Germany is possible for the east stand

Could extend up and back with another tier on top without necessarily adding depth at ground level (ie the need to get rid of leazes terrace).  It wouldnt fit with the rest of the staium and probably look pretty ridiculous from the outside too.  I think there's some laws about sunlight onto leazes terrace which would be blocked too though (could be remembering that completely wrong)

tbh if they matched the gallowgate to the leazes, there would be no need to alter the east stand it would be big enough, and there are plenty of top notch Horseshoe stadiums around.

that looks mint.. except we cant fill our ground as it is and dont need it

People need to remember when discussing this that if Ashley sells this land off and it means we can't expand, it likely means we can't expand EVER. Yes, we don't quite fill the ground at the moment but we were getting half the crowds 20-odd years ago and who knows what the future holds in 10, 20, 30 years time. Winds me up more than almost any other NUFC-related issue this, on account of me holding out the hope that lots of Ashley's damage is hopefully temporary but this would be permanent and pointless and spiteful.

• 3 weeks later...
When it comes to the subtle art of turning off the radio to avoid bad news, Geordies are the English football's Old Masters.

In fact, ever since Likely Lads Terry and Bob’s attempts avoid the England score in a 1973 episode of the legendary sitcom, Newcastle United fans have almost become synonymous with the practice.

Toon have failed to win a single domestic trophy since 1955’s FA Cup victory over Manchester City, despite finishing runners-up in the Premier League twice in the 1990s.

Now the UK’s top wildlife sound recordist has provided a fresh reason for the St James' faithfull to tune out, after he dubbed his attempt to capture the sound of fans celebrating a goal, “my toughest ever assignment”.

Chris Watson, who won a BAFTA award for his work with Sir David Attenborough, was asked about the occasion when he most feared a job wouldn’t work out in an interview on Radio 4.

He replied: “There’s one in particular that comes to mind, and it was one of the most challenging things I’ve had to record.

“It wasn’t an animal sound, it was the sound of people for the St James’s Park programme.

“What happened was it took me three games of going there to get the sound of them scoring a goal.

“So that was one of the hardest recordings I had to make, because I wanted the sound of the stadium erupting, and it took a long time to get it.”

United have scored a paltry 33 goals going into Sunday’s derby match with Sunderland. They have conceded 48 goals, a figure bested only by relegation threatened Burnley and Queens Park Rangers.

Eleven of those were shipped as manager John Carver’s side went on a losing streak of four defeats in five games, during which they picked up a mere five points from nine away games.

The team currently sit 13th in the Premier League table going into the Wear-Tyne derby match with arch rivals Sunderland in 17th.

During the Radio 4 broadcast Watson, whose Soundstage series of ‘audio-postcard’ programmes went out the end of March, made field recordings of sounds in a variety of natural environments.

They included the dawn chorus, an oasis in the Kalahari desert where captured what the inside of a sand dune sounds like, and the tide at The Wash in East Anglia.

Watson also documented the sonic effects of Antarctica’s Barne glacier bucking under its own weight, a process known as calving.

The result, he said, was akin to an “unearthly groaning”.

But it was his experience of waiting for Newcastle to score that elicited the most tortured soundtrack.

Watson, who co-founded the pioneering avant-garde music group Cabaret Voltaire in 1971, joined Tyne Tees television in 1981, and is currently President of the Wildlife Sound Recording Society, described the atmosphere inside the storied football ground as “Anything but tranquil”.

He added: “Over the following 90 minutes there are over 50000 people on the edge of their seats in St James’s park.

“With excitement, anguish, frustration, and finally celebration in their voices”.

St James’ Park, the second of five 15-minute-long programmes in the Soundstage series, first aired on March 24.

Chris Watson's spoke to the with the BBC’s Roger Bolton for the Feedback programme, broadcast on April 3.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/11517028/My-toughest-assignment-Watching-Newcastle-United.html

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know how big the slope is from Leazes to Gallowgate? Sure I've seen a graphic on here before showing it but can't find it.

Anyone? :)