St James' Park

Delima

Could they move the listed buildings?

What I mean is, could they be pulled down ("brick by brick") and then be re-built ("brick-by-brick") somewhere else.  Whilst I am not familiar with the specific laws, as they relate to those specific buildings, but I know elsewhere (around the world) it is not uncommon to move historically significant buildings.  This allows the historically significant building to be retained, as it's the building that's significant and not the location.

A really extreme example of this is that Cooks' cottage, as built by the father of Captain James Cook in Yorkshire, was torn down in 1934 and moved all the way to Melbourne, Australia (each brick individually numbered) where it still stands today.  https://whatson.melbourne.vic.gov.au/things-to-do/cooks-cottage

Could this not be done to create space for St James' Park?

I’d hate for us to lose our stadium, I’m sure with new technology something can be done, even if it’s raised to 60k, we don’t want a white elephant of a stadium with 80k capacity with thousands of empty seats for some games which will happen. 

29 minutes ago, NWMag said:

Those listed buildings that are behind the East Stand are a right pain when it comes to this topic. Hopefully the Ruebens can chuck the Tories a few quid in exchange for permission to get rid of them.

It’s an architectural masterpiece, I’d not like to see Leazes Terrace just disappear!

21 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I’d hate for us to lose our stadium, I’m sure with new technology something can be done, even if it’s raised to 60k, we don’t want a white elephant of a stadium with 80k capacity with thousands of empty seats for some games which will happen. 

You think the attendance would only rise by around 8,000 going from relegation fodder under a detested owner to potentially a situation where we consistently win/challenge for major trophies? I'd say easily 70,000 and use the games where we might not sell out to grow the young fan base with discounted tickets.

Personally I would go for a 70-80k new stadium as it’s impossible to get St James’ up to that amount and the cost of even adding 6-7k to the Gallowgate end would be massive. It’s a shame, but the listed buildings make it virtually impossible to create a stadium to meet the demand. Don’t think anything will happen for at least two years anyway and more likely five years. 

44 minutes ago, HTT II said:

It’s an architectural masterpiece, I’d not like to see Leazes Terrace just disappear!

Appreciate everyone has different views,  I just don’t care about any listed buildings

2 minutes ago, NWMag said:

Appreciate everyone has different views,  I just don’t care about any listed buildings

Really?  They are one of the remaining things that makes this country great in my opinion.

I appreciate architecture and history but I think this conversation is about priorities. I respect those who wouldn't want anything happening to those buildings but for me they could be levelled tomorrow to allow for an increased capacity SJP and I think it would be a net improvement.

I don't love Leazes Terrace or anything but part of the joy of SJP is its setting. I doubt many clubs have Grade I listed buildings and (I assume) a registered park/garden immediately next door. 

I can live with the capacity being capped at 52k. Some general refurbishment should bring it into the 2020s.

4 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

I appreciate architecture and history but I think this conversation is about priorities. I respect those who wouldn't want anything happening to those buildings but for me they could be levelled tomorrow to allow for an increased capacity SJP and I think it would be a net improvement.

This is a better explanation of my feeling towards it, I know people will have stronger feelings toward the buildings than myself but just from a personal point of view, if they had to make way to improve SJP then it’s a no brainer

34 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Personally I would go for a 70-80k new stadium as it’s impossible to get St James’ up to that amount and the cost of even adding 6-7k to the Gallowgate end would be massive. It’s a shame, but the listed buildings make it virtually impossible to create a stadium to meet the demand. Don’t think anything will happen for at least two years anyway and more likely five years. 

I think even extending the Gallowgate to the level of the Leazes only gives us an extra 6k seats so we'd still only be on around 58/59k. It would be a lot of expense (I know money isn't really an issue) and upheaval for a relatively modest increase.

The East Stand is the real issue but I don't see a solution there.

13 minutes ago, Sima said:

Really?  They are one of the remaining things that makes this country great in my opinion.

Appreciate that mate and I can understand why people like them.

But for me the impact listed buildings have on my life is 0, whereas NUFC is of high importance, so I would always choose SJP over the buildings in this topic of conversation. 

Sitting on the fence here, but I think both the suggestions of moving from SJP and the ones about getting rid of Leazes Terrace (thankfully something that won't happen) are grim.

Is literally nothing sacred anymore then? We're supposed to be the ones upholding the club's history yet it seems there are plenty who are desperate to stamp all over it in the name of some misplaced sense of what progress is.

5 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

I think even extending the Gallowgate to the level of the Leazes only gives us an extra 6k seats so we'd still only be on around 58/59k. It would be a lot of expense (I know money isn't really an issue) and upheaval for a relatively modest increase.

The East Stand is the real issue but I don't see a solution there.

Yeah totally agree, obviously it’s a shame but the demand is going to force the issue in the future. 

15 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I don't love Leazes Terrace or anything but part of the joy of SJP is its setting. I doubt many clubs have Grade I listed buildings and (I assume) a registered park/garden immediately next door. 

I can live with the capacity being capped at 52k. Some general refurbishment should bring it into the 2020s.

Interesting take. We will struggle to grow our club if we tie ourselves to such a capacity. 

I feel the clubs goal should be to create a stadium which can accommodate everyone who wants to go and attend in person, ideally at the current site if not then as close by as possible. 

My personal opinion, for a new stadium I would only be happy with a move to castle leazes as per the prior plans.

If we don't move or can't agree a site, sink the fortune to bring SJP up to a modern standard and try to figure out ways to eek as much capacity out of it.

I love SJP and the way it has had to grow within its constraints, the way it sits atop of the city and commands views from miles around. For Newcastle as a city to lose SJP in its skyline would a pretty sad state of affairs for me.

The main issue is that our new journey has barely got off the ground and the stadium is at capacity.

We could probably easily fit in another 15-20k providing we’re moving up the table and Europe is a thing again. If we want to be considered the biggest/best club in the world at some point, we need to have a stadium that matches those clubs.

If it took 2 years to rebuild SJP, would anyone accept a ground share with either of the “local teams”?

3 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

The main issue is that our new journey has barely got off the ground and the stadium is at capacity.

We could probably easily fit in another 15-20k providing we’re moving up the table and Europe is a thing again. If we want to be considered the biggest/best club in the world at some point, we need to have a stadium that matches those clubs.

If it took 2 years to rebuild SJP, would anyone accept a ground share with either of the “local teams”?

Ask GIS if we can ground share with them and bring their facilities up to a decent standard?

Nothing wrong with GIS stadium as it is like, but can't imagine it ticks many if any boxes for PL?

41 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Sitting on the fence here, but I think both the suggestions of moving from SJP and the ones about getting rid of Leazes Terrace (thankfully something that won't happen) are grim.

Is literally nothing sacred anymore then? We're supposed to be the ones upholding the club's history yet it seems there are plenty who are desperate to stamp all over it in the name of some misplaced sense of what progress is.

No it’s to give the opportunity for supporters (now and future) to go to games as the demand will increase (it already has). To me the two most important things about the club are the team and then the support. Unfortunately St James’ is not able to cater for the future increased demand to attend games. Everyone would love for it not to be the case, but due to listed buildings it isn’t. I accept some won’t agree though.

Edited by et tu brute