St James' Park

Delima

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Be up for that as long as I'm not sitting under the overhang bit. 

I am in Row M of the upper East Stand, that is about 3/4 the way towards the back.

Having another tier above would not be too much of an issue unless it has pillars and other support structures that would obstruct the view.

5 hours ago, Wandy said:

Saw this on toontastic and I think it's a pretty accurate idea of how SJP will look if extended, when it comes to tackling the East Stand problem. An upper tier that heavily overhangs the lower tier, although the rake will probably need to be steeper than this shown here.

utBgqLg.png

I very much like that.

Just want to say again that we don't have to limit ourselves to symetry, nice as it looks,the  Gallowgate could be made bigger than the Leazes (as its a one shot deal at building it)

4 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

I very much like that.

Just want to say again that we don't have to limit ourselves to symetry, nice as it looks,the  Gallowgate could be made bigger than the Leazes (as its a one shot deal at building it)

Yeah this is the biggest thing for me when I see all these ideas for how the ground could look. If we're really going to maximise the massively constrained space we have, it's probably a case of thinking about the stands as individual entities.

I'm sure with the right architect (which I'm assuming we'd get) it could look good without being symetrical.

1 hour ago, pedro111 said:

Not sure if mentioned but can we not just expand the East Stand up to the height of level 7? :shifty:

It baffles me as to why this has never been mentioned before. Surely we can knock those buildings down behind the east stand and expand that way??

5 hours ago, pinkeye said:

That just looks the same as currently except they filled in the Strawberry corner.  Probably only add a thousand or two seats.

The guy who drew that on SSC was saying he opted for an option where the strawberry development is set back a bit and even though the Gallowgate stand isn’t as high, it goes back a lot on the front print to either just about in line with the Metro station, or above it. His idea is that the Gallowgate would be a single tiered giant stand in the form of the Yellow Wall of Dortmund.

Edited by Stifler

2 hours ago, Scoot said:

It baffles me as to why this has never been mentioned before. Surely we can knock those buildings down behind the east stand and expand that way??

They have already started to knock the buildings down behind the east stand , work should be finished by the end of the season. 

Apparently it’s a secret but when I went to feed the ducks at leazes park today , virtually all of the buildings had been demolished and they had put up all the scaffolding to start the new tier above the east stand. 

17 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

They have already started to knock the buildings down behind the east stand , work should be finished by the end of the season. 

Apparently it’s a secret but when I went to feed the ducks at leazes park today , virtually all of the buildings had been demolished and they had put up all the scaffolding to start the new tier above the east stand. 

Good. Don't know what the hold up has been...

51 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

They weren't loading the bricks one by one onto trucks bearing the name 'Beamish' were they?? 

Just now, Charlies said:

They weren't loading the bricks one by one onto trucks bearing the name 'Beamish' were they?? 

Looked like it yes , although as things progressed they brought a guy along with a boat and he suggested sailing up the Tyne and loading them on the boat (two by two) 

Whilst Blackburn were building their current stand the people in the houses immediate to the land could watch the second half of the 93/94 from their upstairs windows and shed roof.

Might help sweeten the deal if the Leazes terrace folks get half a season of free football, rent out their windows for thousands and get half a year of more light than they've ever had.

Alternatively they might plead with us to build a huge stand to block out all the grey sky and football.

Edited by Wolfcastle

14 hours ago, Stifler said:

The guy who drew that on SSC was saying he opted for an option where the strawberry development is set back a bit and even though the Gallowgate stand isn’t as high, it goes back a lot on the front print to either just about in line with the Metro station, or above it. His idea is that the Gallowgate would be a single tiered giant stand in the form of the Yellow Wall of Dortmund.

Got it.  I hadn't seen the notes associated with that sketch.  No matter what, it does look pretty amazing.  The Gallowgate is realistically the only part of the ground with any sort of potential to increase the capacity.  A 90degree flip would allow for a lot of additional capacity as well but, that is a very disruptive option meaning we would have to play all our home matches somewhere else for a long time.  We dont just have Wembley on the door step like the Spuds!

21 hours ago, Wandy said:

Saw this on toontastic and I think it's a pretty accurate idea of how SJP will look if extended, when it comes to tackling the East Stand problem. An upper tier that heavily overhangs the lower tier, although the rake will probably need to be steeper than this shown here.

utBgqLg.png

That's at least 2 massive erections to look forward to 

29 minutes ago, Mr Pups said:

think I'd rather dig up Jimmy Savilles corpse and suck him off

I know it'll never, ever happen like but I wouldnt be opposed to it if we absolutely had to rebuild SJP. Club could lay on busses/extra metros so folk wouldnt have to go near Sunderland city centre. It'd be more of a slight on them having to host us I think. 

Mind like I say, no chance. Police wouldnt allow it due to the potential for bother. Our fans would trash any Sunderland branding etc. Still though, it'd be funny. 

15 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

I know it'll never, ever happen like but I wouldnt be opposed to it if we absolutely had to rebuild SJP. Club could lay on busses/extra metros so folk wouldnt have to go near Sunderland city centre. It'd be more of a slight on them having to host us I think. 

Mind like I say, no chance. Police wouldnt allow it due to the potential for bother. Our fans would trash any Sunderland branding etc. Still though, it'd be funny. 

I'd rather go up to Edinburgh and use murrayfield. 67000 capacity 

Could you imagine using Murrayfield. LNER putting on extra trains, having to get trains from elsewhere. Northern and Scotrail getting involved. Hundreds of coaches organised, hotels booked up, 3 weeks before KO Sky change the date for TV.