St James' Park

Delima

After getting wetter than I’ve been since a Charlton game where Keegan scored a late winner I’m all for a new ground on Leazes Park.

The concourses in the Milburn Paddock areas are also ridiculously narrow to the point where people queuing for a piss are almost shoulder to shoulder with people queuing for pie/ pint in another queue with everyone else trying to force themselves in between the 2 queues to get to where the tv is or back to their seat.

it was ridiculous on Saturday.

27 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

After getting wetter than I’ve been since a Charlton game where Keegan scored a late winner I’m all for a new ground on Leazes Park.

The concourses in the Milburn Paddock areas are also ridiculously narrow to the point where people queuing for a piss are almost shoulder to shoulder with people queuing for pie/ pint in another queue with everyone else trying to force themselves in between the 2 queues to get to where the tv is or back to their seat.

it was ridiculous on Saturday.

I was upper Gallowgate on Saturday and the queue for a piss went from the toilets, up the stairs and was just about on the walkway in the stand. Decided to walk down to the lower Gallowgate instead, and it was like being a sardine in the concourse. Never really thought they were that small until last season. 

Small concourse’s, shit atmosphere, poor views from level 7, just some of the reasons why a new stadium is the better option.

Nobody will convince me sticking another tier on the Gallowgate End beats a new purpose built stadium a few hundred yards up the road.

5 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Small concourse’s, shit atmosphere, poor views from level 7, just some of the reasons why a new stadium is the better option.

Nobody will convince me sticking another tier on the Gallowgate End beats a new purpose built stadium a few hundred yards up the road.

Level 7 may be a poor view from the Leazes. Its not from the Milburn.

5 minutes ago, madras said:

Level 7 may be a poor view from the Leazes. Its not from the Milburn.

I think the first few rows are probably ok even in the Leazes to be fair, but after that you may aswell be watching it on the tv for me. You don’t feel part of the atmosphere up there, just find it a poor all round experience.

Used to be great in the singing section 2009-2011ish. Haven’t really been up there since but could understand why people think it’s poor if there’s little atmosphere. A massive family enclosure doesn’t help. 

7 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

I think the first few rows are probably ok even in the Leazes to be fair, but after that you may aswell be watching it on the tv for me. You don’t feel part of the atmosphere up there, just find it a poor all round experience.

That's the same in most larger grounds though. You're spot on re the concourses though. I'm in the family section and for all it still gets busy it's nowhere near as bad as The Leazes or Gallowgate. Had an ST for the Gallowgate for yrs and didn't even bother moving from my seat at HT.

4 minutes ago, madras said:

That's the same in most larger grounds though. You're spot on re the concourses though. I'm in the family section and for all it still gets busy it's nowhere near as bad as The Leazes or Gallowgate. Had an ST for the Gallowgate for yrs and didn't even bother moving from my seat at HT.

Yeah I’ve pretty much given up on a half time pint. I don’t think the fact the bar staff are pretty much useless helps like.

9 minutes ago, madras said:

True. The big ground has not yet been invented where you feel as involved at the back as you do near the front. 

Towards the back of Wembley (Olympic gallery and literally the back row of the original bit), the Nou Camp and I'll bet the extra tier at Old Trafford for the semi-finals felt just the same.

Its either that or have a small ground.

Edited by Jonas

I’d ban over 60’s from attending. We must have the highest proportion of these old cunts as part of our fanbase. They are wholly to blame for the crap atmosphere. 

give them free pint tokens for a nearby working mans club and bring an injection of youth to our stadium. 

it would improve both the atmosphere (singing and the smell of stale piss) and the queues for the bogs in one go. 

26 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Used to be great in the singing section 2009-2011ish. Haven’t really been up there since but could understand why people think it’s poor if there’s little atmosphere. A massive family enclosure doesn’t help. 

I used to sit up there when it was the singing section and proper loved it. Never been up there for about 10 year til the league cup games this season

Fuck me its awful

Edited by jack j

4 minutes ago, RS said:

I’d ban over 60’s from attending. We must have the highest proportion of these old cunts as part of our fanbase. They are wholly to blame for the crap atmosphere. 

give them free pint tokens for a nearby working mans club and bring an injection of youth to our stadium. 

it would improve both the atmosphere (singing and the smell of stale piss) and the queues for the bogs in one go. 

Don't worry. The tories have been killing them off for 12 years. 

Groundhog

(aged 59 and 13 days 😉

28 minutes ago, RS said:

I'd ban the 17 to 23s. Spend all their time trying to look hard, act like they're coked up and and sing "We love Newcastle, we do" and ask who's "in nets".

madras (55yrs 8month)

3 hours ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Some ideas here. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-11592001/AI-predicts-Londons-stadiums-look-like-future.html

Could always do this if people are so determined to stay at SJP. Get some student accommodation underneath and stick a new stadium on top. 

CB5E7E07-5382-4065-84A3-C93D76A04FC5.jpeg

Yet when I came up with a similar idea/mock I got laughed at 

40 minutes ago, jack j said:

I used to sit up there when it was the singing section and proper loved it. Never been up there for about 10 year til the league cup games this season

Fuck me its awful

Yep, had an ST for a couple of seasons up there and it was great. Never renewed when Ashley broke it up and I was going up to games less and less, anyway. 

3 hours ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Some ideas here. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-11592001/AI-predicts-Londons-stadiums-look-like-future.html

Could always do this if people are so determined to stay at SJP. Get some student accommodation underneath and stick a new stadium on top. 

Fuck that, it’s bad enough climbing up to level 7, never mind level 57.

Level 7 only feels detached because it’s full of people sat down in silence. As stated earlier, the Leazes Corner when we were first in the Championship and the season after was quality. 

Doesn’t matter whether we’re at SJP or a nee stadium, if people can’t be arsed getting behind the team and are sat waiting to be entertained, the atmosphere will always be shit. 

1 hour ago, Whitley mag said:

In all honesty I think a rebuild of SJP on a slightly larger footprint, like what Spurs did is the best option. The thing is you encroach on Leazers Park and the only part of Leazers Park with any kind of structure on it. It would have to be sensitively done.

7 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Level 7 only feels detached because it’s full of people sat down in silence. As stated earlier, the Leazes Corner when we were first in the Championship and the season after was quality. 

Doesn’t matter whether we’re at SJP or a nee stadium, if people can’t be arsed getting behind the team and are sat waiting to be entertained, the atmosphere will always be shit. 

Definitely a lot of this going on on Saturday like.

First time I've sat in level 7 for fucking ages and to be honest despite those around me spending half the time on their phones, the atmosphere was probably better than I expected. The biggest surprise was the leg room!! even adults could remain in their seats whilst you walked past them, more legroom....and what do they do? fill it with bairns 

IMG_20221231_145816053.jpg

4 hours ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Some ideas here. 

where's the strawberry in that picture? imagine necking your pint at 2.55, be lucky to catch the second half

Personally I’d close the turnstiles and concourse 20/30mins before KO and get people into the ground and their seats earlier to build up the atmosphere. Another lost beauty of terracing was crowds gathering earlier to get a decent spot and the likeminded fans together in larger groups slowly building up the atmosphere. Too many people turning up last minute to the ground and others just mulling around putting bets on or buying food & drinks minutes before KO.

The other issue which you can’t do anything about as inclusion is important is the amount of families going. Too many kids or wife’s and girlfriends  (particularly cup games) not that emotionally invested. 

On the other side of the argument you could say Man City at home this season was as good an atmosphere as there’s been at SJP.