St James' Park

Delima

4 hours ago, LFEE said:

Out of interest is there anybody on here who wants us to stay at SJP at all costs willing to give up their seat & ticket for 2yrs therefore not able to attend for this to happen? 

Is that necessary for an expansion? Wasn't when they did Milburn/Leazes

43 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

Yes they built around us when they did the Milburn/Leazes extension and we just got wet. Obviously the derby was the standout game for getting absolutely soaked.

Haven't been there for a while but it's a shame that abandoned area between Pitt Street and Westgate Road wasn't a bit bigger, that could have been a canny option just on the other side of the road (although admittedly even further from centre of town).  Maybe make a few streets of houses an offer they can't refuse.  Earl of Pitt Street could have been the new Strawberry :)  Sikh gurdwara might be an issue there like :lol:

Edited by OpenC

48 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

It is in my scenario to see who’s willing to make a sacrifice for holding the club back. 

In reality I would say so too. The east stand would need a rebuild and I’d imagine they’d need to close off at least upper tier of Gallowgate if not completely redesigned it as they’ll want loads of corporate boxes in the Gallowgate somewhere.

This expansion isn’t about creating extra seats for the plebs. You do realise that?

Crazy how shortsighted (not directed at you) people are being about this thinking only about the football etc.

Real Madrid have just asked La Liga to move their final league fixture (which would probably mean everyone else’s if similar to our league) so they can host a Taylor Swift gig.

We need a new stadium to progress. End of discussion. Hopefully it will be the biggest and best in the world and the envy of every other football fan. Hosting all sorts of great events and sporting finals etc.

5 minutes ago, LFEE said:

It is in my scenario to see who’s willing to make a sacrifice for holding the club back. 

In reality I would say so too. The east stand would need a rebuild and I’d imagine they’d need to close off at least upper tier of Gallowgate if not completely redesigned it as they’ll want loads of corporate boxes in the Gallowgate somewhere.

This expansion isn’t about creating extra seats for the plebs. You do realise that?

Crazy how shortsighted (not directed at you) people are being about this thinking only about the football etc.

Real Madrid have just asked La Liga to move their final league fixture (which would probably mean everyone else’s if similar to our league) so they can host a Taylor Swift gig.

We need a new stadium to progress. End of discussion. Hopefully it will be the biggest and best in the world and the envy of every other football fan. Hosting all sorts of great events and sporting finals etc.

Why does the Swift thing matter? Here is why: 

Pittsburgh’s two concerts generated $46 million in direct spending, with 83% of those attending the concerts coming from outside Alleghany County. Hotel occupancy––the highest weekend occupancy post pandemic and the second highest weekend occupancy on record­­––averaged at 95% and pushed average daily room rates (ADR) to $309, a 106% increase.

Los Angeles—which hosted six shows that marked the end of the first part of the tour—benefited from a total economic impact of $320 million, with 3,300 jobs created, $20 million in sales and local sales tax and another $9 million in hotel room taxes.

Denver’s two concerts resulted in visitor spending that contributed an estimated $140 million to the state’s GDP.

Cincinnati’s impact was estimated at $48 million, of which $20 million was from out of town guests.

I think people who love NUFC, also should start thinking about whatever it is the "new" or "renovated" SJP is in the future. Because that stadium, if done correctly could actually change the economics of the city-centre, the region, and most importantly the people of the city. 

Yeah, we need to use the stadium more. That means trying to get more football events like we are doing with England, and the seniors World Cup, but also concerts etc. Spurs are showing everyone the way with NFL games.

I love SJP and always will but when I think about how dead some of the games have been this season it makes me wonder how much better things could be. I know that the fans are the main reason for the lack of atmosphere in some of the games but there are a lot of contributing factors related to the ground now as well. Would those be resolved with an expansion of SJP? I struggle to see it.

My concern with moving wouldn’t be at all to do with the ground being in a new location, it would all depend on whether it was a soulless experience. Whatever option it ends up being, it needs to be something that feels alive, inspiring and exciting to be in

As a reference point on how valuable non-footy events could be, Fender's 2 x SJP gigs generated an estimated £15m for the Newcastle economy

Edited by bobbydazzla

On 07/12/2023 at 04:35, Dokko said:

Could we not go in stages, build 3 sides as close to SJP as possible, then build the final side when its ready. 

sjp2.png

How much of Leazes Park land is needed for this to happen? Is the above image true to the size we need? It doesn't seem that much to be honest and the current SJP land would be free for a swap. Though if funding the park for the future is the stipulation requested, then the current SJP land can still be uaed by the club for something or a modern park by default. 

Edited by nufcjb

3 hours ago, nufcjb said:

How much of Leazes Park land is needed for this to happen? Is the above image true to the size we need? It doesn't seem that much to be honest and the current SJP land would be free for a swap. Though if funding the park for the future is the stipulation requested, then the current SJP land can still be uaed by the club for something or a modern park by default. 

not much? it's basically every grass area in the park gone... all the grass on the left side isn't the park it's the moor.

if they gave the current SJP land to the park, it's basically like sitting next to a busy road and sucking in all the traffic fumes and noise.... also massively overlooked by all the crap student housing the council allowed to be built around SJP.

Your also destroying the bandstand,  and all the Victorian walls ,steps and statues.. may as well rip the soul out of the park.

never going to be allowed to happen, you also planning on building the stadium directly on top of where the bust is, the bust of the guy who donated the land to have a park there in the first place....

The most land they could take from the park would probably be
428652526_716468960644954_6420827256414995740_n.thumb.jpg.4c95d99b3856b4b02accde33c5d5d158.jpg

But that doesn't really help unless they want to knock down the whole stadium and move it

Edited by Arknor

They could always move the bust, the Band Stand and the Victorian walls and steps, brick by brick……

If and it must still be quite a big if, we move a slight NW move to that foot print would, on paper, appear a good solution. 

3 hours ago, nufcjb said:

How much of Leazes Park land is needed for this to happen? Is the above image true to the size we need? It doesn't seem that much to be honest and the current SJP land would be free for a swap. Though if funding the park for the future is the stipulation requested, then the current SJP land can still be used by the club for something or a modern park by default. 

First things first, if we are taking that literally, then not only do you have the band stand in the way which would need to be relocated, and yes brick by brick, but you are also going to have to chop down a lot of trees that I’m sure someone won’t be happy about. On top of this, you will still be fairly close to the lake, which would be a bit of a disaster with 80k pissed up fans coming out of the ground.

The best location would actually be just to the north of that, where it is basically just grassland. We would have to develop the park as well. The paths will be too narrow for all the fans, so would need to be widened, possibly all throughout the park. On top of this you would also need to have use of land just outside the stadium if you are wanting to host UEFA & FIFA events, alongside concerts etc.

Depending on will, it is entirely doable in the location that I mentioned.

2 hours ago, Stifler said:

The best location would actually be just to the north of that, where it is basically just grassland. We would have to develop the park as well. 

Depending on will, it is entirely doable in the location that I mentioned.

THIS . 

Latest free True Faith podcast is an episode purely on the go forward for SJP, worth a listen. Some balanced views - Ketch and others do take into account both the “I’m alright Jack” current ST holder view and those of others who aren’t so lucky. Good bit about how ingrained going is - lad talking about his first taste of NUFC with Quinn, McGhee et al.

9 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Latest free True Faith podcast is an episode purely on the go forward for SJP, worth a listen. Some balanced views - Ketch and others do take into account both the “I’m alright Jack” current ST holder view and those of others who aren’t so lucky. Good bit about how ingrained going is - lad talking about his first taste of NUFC with Quinn, McGhee et al.

I liked it, did think they made too many assumptions about where atmosphere comes from and who creates it. But it was a good chat. 

Yeah I'll say it again but you're not going to be obliterating Leazes Park to build a stadium. It's a Grade II listed Victorian Park, the first on Tyneside. You'd also be felling hundreds of mature trees. It's one of few green recreation spaces in the city centre. That's not going to happen.

Building primarily on Castle Leazes to the north, with some encroachment to the north end of the park, may be a goer considering what you could offset that with. The benefits are you can extend the park down to Strawberry Place with recreation and green space, improve the setting of listed buildings, and also secure investment towards improving and maintaining the park. You have it so the club effectively enters into a stewardship arrangement over the park. It could be a huge win-win enhancing that part of the city for the future without destroying the past.

7 hours ago, Arknor said:

not much? it's basically every grass area in the park gone... all the grass on the left side isn't the park it's the moor.

if they gave the current SJP land to the park, it's basically like sitting next to a busy road and sucking in all the traffic fumes and noise.... also massively overlooked by all the crap student housing the council allowed to be built around SJP.

Your also destroying the bandstand,  and all the Victorian walls ,steps and statues.. may as well rip the soul out of the park.

never going to be allowed to happen, you also planning on building the stadium directly on top of where the bust is, the bust of the guy who donated the land to have a park there in the first place....

The most land they could take from the park would probably be
428652526_716468960644954_6420827256414995740_n.thumb.jpg.4c95d99b3856b4b02accde33c5d5d158.jpg

But that doesn't really help unless they want to knock down the whole stadium and move it

that stuff can all be moved though hypothetically.

It could be incorporated into the land around the new ground

if we are going to be building an arena, fan area etc etc that can all form part of it and show the heritage

times move on man, its a victorian bandstand that im guessing is rarely used and probably more used to hosting druggies and kids drinking blue wkd

34 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Yeah I'll say it again but you're not going to be obliterating Leazes Park to build a stadium. It's a Grade II listed Victorian Park, the first on Tyneside. You'd also be felling hundreds of mature trees. It's one of few green recreation spaces in the city centre. That's not going to happen.

Building primarily on Castle Leazes to the north, with some encroachment to the north end of the park, may be a goer considering what you could offset that with. The benefits are you can extend the park down to Strawberry Place with recreation and green space, improve the setting of listed buildings, and also secure investment towards improving and maintaining the park. You have it so the club effectively enters into a stewardship arrangement over the park. It could be a huge win-win enhancing that part of the city for the future without destroying the past.

Cum omni verbo assentior.

2 hours ago, TBG said:

Incoming complaints that the temporary store is too small.

Just wait till it’s opened and all the click bait you tube videos about “small store” “small store, adidas deal not as first appeared” and other shite.

23 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

Yes they built around us when they did the Milburn/Leazes extension and we just got wet. Obviously the derby was the standout game for getting absolutely soaked.

Jesus, I remember that night. Hideous game/experience.