St James' Park

Delima

6 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Is there any actual reason for the St James metro station? It must be used by about 7 people a day. 

Even as a tourist coming into Newcastle to visit SJP I don't think I've ever used it. Thats countless trips over the last nearly 20 years. I've always got off at Haymarket or Monument, or even better just stayed in a hotel in the city centre and walked up. 

12 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Is there any actual reason for the St James metro station? It must be used by about 7 people a day. 

People always say this, but in my experience it was always busy at rush hour. Not massively, but like 50 people or so getting on/off when I used to use it. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

It's utterly pointless like. 

Remember someone asking at Gateshead Stadium Metro if the St James metro train stops at St James Park.

Said aye it should only be two or three stops, thinking it should only be two or three stops from this side of the river. Wasn't until I got on my metro I noticed to get to St James, you have to go via the Hebrides

Poor bloke is probably still on it now.

Edited by TBG

2 minutes ago, TBG said:

It's utterly pointless like. 

Remember someone asking at Gateshead Stadium Metro if the St James Metro stops at St James Park.

Said aye it should only be two or three stops, thinking it should only be two or three stops this side of the river. Wasn't until I got on metro I noticed to get to St James you have to go via the Hebrides

Poor bloke is probably still on it now.

:lol: 

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

People always say this, but in my experience it was always busy at rush hour. Not massively, but like 50 people or so getting on/off when I used to use it. 

It is likely to become much more busy from June, as it is located virtually "inside" the new 24/7 SELA  Fanzone.

I take the St. James’ metro if I’m leaving SJP and going home. It’s the only time I use it. Actually that’s a lie, I very occasionally use it for work if I’m not driving. Must be the least used station on the line apart from for two hours a fortnight 

aye :thup: i used to use Haymarket when I was there but also a good shout, the walkway still goes all the way down to Ellison Place if you're brave enough to walk through the stinky underpass bit

3 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Not sure about the need/demand for the actual station but I think the track is required so the Metro’s can change lines.

4 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Get all 50 of them new jobs in Beamish.

It's a pity we couldn't tear the stadium down and rebuild it in the same spot. There was something I heard about moving the pitch further up to create more room to extend the capacity. But if we did where would we play our home games? 

3 minutes ago, andycap said:

It's a pity we couldn't tear the stadium down and rebuild it in the same spot. There was something I heard about moving the pitch further up to create more room to extend the capacity. But if we did where would we play our home games? 

Plenty of space in the St James Metro station apparently. Just play there. 

48 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Pallion is the least used on the network. Manors was 6th least.

St James is lower mid table 20 least used

Full data on the Excel sheet in here https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/usage_statistics

This is data from 2019, so pre COVID, plus changing development around stations.

Manors was the least used station on the line, until the uni opened up.

NUFC buy the station, and the whole metro line. Rename it the NUFC express and all revenue goes towards FFP. Rename St. James’ metro the Saudi Dreamland Station and turn it into a mini theme park with rollercoasters that take you into the Gallowgate stadium. Price for a ticket on the Gallowgate coaster, £200 a pop. Solve two problems in one fell swoop 

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

NUFC buy the station, and the whole metro line. Rename it the NUFC express and all revenue goes towards FFP. Rename St. James’ metro the Saudi Dreamland Station and turn it into a mini theme park with rollercoasters that take you into the Gallowgate stadium. Price for a ticket on the Gallowgate coaster, £200 a pop. Solve two problems in one fell swoop 

@Darren Eales watch out, your replacement is coming 

4 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Not sure the Saudi Dreamland Station would want rollercoasters going to the gallowgate for branding reasons.

But divert the rollercoaster to the newly sponsored Middle East Stand and Bob's your uncle, Fanny's your aunt.