St James' Park

Delima

Okay, if people would genuinely pass up the chance of the extra income for the sake of keeping the St James's Park name, then fine. That's the issue on which we differ. Personally, I'd be prepared to accept it, because it at least as the potential of making us more competitive through driving up the income stream. Yes, I'm prepared to sacrifice that bit of our heritage.

It just strikes me that in a number of posts, some people have been ducking that issue by resorting to the usual comfort zone of Ashley's a crook and a liar. All is so much simpler when seen in that light.

Llambias added: "The fans want us to buy more players, we need a new striker in January, we'll need replacements in the summer."

Roughly translated: It's the fans' fault, all this. Too demanding, especially wanting that player in the place of £35m Andy Carroll.

I like the clear implication we're going to be selling players in the summer as well. What a cunt.

Llambias added: "The fans want us to buy more players, we need a new striker in January, we'll need replacements in the summer."

Replacements for who? Tiote? Cabaye? Coloccini?

Why even try second guessing the cunts, man? There's no rhyme or reason to their actions. Other than chasing the money.

I get so pissed off with all this self-righteous hysteria.

The part of our heritage that I really want to ditch is the last 40+ years of failure. If this helps, then I'm fine about it. It would be nice to keep the name, but it's a sacrifice that I'd be prepared to make.

In what world do you live where a stadium name change correlates to the success of a football club?

You already know the answer to that, don't you? If the club increases its income and it spends the money wisely, you increase the chances of success on the field.

I worry about how naive you'd have to be to think this will increase our income by a single penny.

But it's what they say will happen. Why doubt them? :rolleyes:

Nobody knows whether this is going to succeed. Renaming a stadium is a new venture, as far as I know, never been tried by a major English club. I think Llambias himself said that it was a matter of giving things a go, in this particular window of opportunity where the naming rights and the shirt sponsorship would both be up for sale.

Of course it's a risk. The question is, do you want it to succeed?

they've not decided to rename the stadium after new sponsors though. they've decided to rename it the "sports direct arena" with no financial benefit for the club. that's the facts of the case and how the name will remain indefinitely. the rest is speculation.

Just to clarify - are you saying that Ashley has no intention of selling the naming rights to another company?

If you're not, I don't see how you can dismiss the idea that someone's going to come in.

where did i "dismiss" it? maybe you are confused and used the wrong word. I have simply stuck to the facts of the current situation, something you seem loath to do.

Your first post didn't acknowledge that the club's stated plan was to use the 'Sports Direct Arena' name as a prelude to getting in sponsorship from somewhere else.

I wanted to clarify whether that was because you felt that the club actually had no intention of getting another sponsor, or whether you felt they were bound to fail.

no-one knows whether they have a sponsor lined up, whether they can realistically get one, whether it will be financially worthwhile (probably not due to ashley's ineptitude at improving the commercial side of our club), or whether they even want one. for all we know Ashley just wanted people to call it the "sports direct arena" as no-one took his previous, preposterous name change seriously. i don't know. you don't either. so as of now, and for the rest of the season, and as things stand indefinitely, the name change is from SJP to SDA with no benefit, financial or otherwise, for the club.

all we've gotten out of it is losing a part of our history.

Okay, if people would genuinely pass up the chance of the extra income for the sake of keeping the St James's Park name, then fine. That's the issue on which we differ. Personally, I'd be prepared to accept it, because it at least as the potential of making us more competitive through driving up the income stream. Yes, I'm prepared to sacrifice that bit of our heritage.

It just strikes me that in a number of posts, some people have been ducking that issue by resorting to the usual comfort zone of Ashley's a crook and a liar. All is so much simpler when seen in that light.

Llambias reckons this particular bit of heritage is worth giving up for £8m-10m per year. One player, he says. Just how much more competitive do you think that will make us?

May I ask how much it would cost to convince you to drop 'Newcastle United Football Club'?

Replacements for who? Tiote? Cabaye? Coloccini?

Smith, Lovenkrands, Barton (headinsand).

Fairly astounded that they didn't at least buy this up and reserve it well in advance:

http://www.sportsdirectarena.co.uk/

Fair play to whoever did, though. Hat off.

How the hell were they dumb enough not to check that. FFS what clowns.

Top work by whoever beat them to the punch though.

They'll get it. Money talks.

Yeah, just like they got NUFC.com.

Oh, hang on...

Sometimes principles are worth more than money, not that I'd expect anyone at NUFC to understand that given their recent announcement.

Llambias added: "The fans want us to buy more players"

Erm, ner Derrick you fucking pleb, you NEED to buy more players, it's your job you daft twat.

"MORE players? We already have 18, how many fucking more do you want you wankers!?"

Guest Geordiesned

Just saw this on Twitter (don't know if originated on here or already posted):

Ashley wherever you may be

You can buy Sports Direct but you cant buy me

You ruin this club and it's history

St James Park it will always be

Fairly astounded that they didn't at least buy this up and reserve it well in advance:

http://www.sportsdirectarena.co.uk/

Fair play to whoever did, though. Hat off.

How the hell were they dumb enough not to check that. FFS what clowns.

Top work by whoever beat them to the punch though.

They'll get it. Money talks.

Yeah, just like they got NUFC.com.

Oh, hang on...

Sometimes principles are worth more than money, not that I'd expect anyone at NUFC to understand that given their recent announcement.

The domain is registered to these chaps: http://www.sonictek.co.uk/contact.shtml

I would love to agree with you that they'll reject money for it from the club, I just doubt it.

Just wanted to check ... does all the current sports direct branding at the stadium get replaced with a new sponsor, should one acquire the naming rights?

I would think that is something they would sort out if they find one, and no would be my answer, fatty will still own the club.

Cool, thanks.

Llambias reckons this particular bit of heritage is worth giving up for £8m-10m per year. One player, he says. Just how much more competitive do you think that will make us?

May I ask how much it would cost to convince you to drop 'Newcastle United Football Club'?

One of the regular difficulties in getting into a debate about Ashley is that people keep on bringing up things that he hasn't done.

I need to start chilling now. Night all.

Will they not just buy http://sportsdirectarena.com/ ?

Someone already has. That's a holding page. It says "This domain has just been registered", or something like that.

No idea who has bought it. Could be the club, could be another private individual. Time will tell.

I'd imagine that since they have NUFC.co.uk, and someone else has NUFC.com, they'd prefer the .co.uk to match their existing domain. Obviously both would be best, so I struggle to imagine that they've bought one and neglected the other for the sake of a tenner a year anyway. I know they're hard up but I doubt it's that desperate yet.

One of the regular difficulties in getting into a debate about Ashley is that people keep on bringing up things that he hasn't done.

It was a genuine question. Your refusal to answer it tells its own story.

It was a genuine question. Your refusal to answer it tells its own story.

at a a guess he may see that changing the name would cost the club money. even i would baulk at going to see SDFC.