St James' Park

Delima

For those who don't think it's a big deal...why do you support Newcastle United and not some other team? Genuine question.

Because if tradition and soul aren't important to you then what is it that makes you support NUFC? Or any club for that matter? You could support any team if it's not important. Tradition and soul are what it's all about. We're born into supporting a team or chose to support a team because of everything the club is/has stood for and has been (those who choose and stick to it no matter what).

Yes we can admire the current players, even admire the owners if that's your bag. But they aren't Newcastle United or what personifies Newcastle United. They are the current employees who are trying to propel the 'Club' forward as everyone before and everyone after will. They'll all be gone in a few years or so. It's not what supporting any specific club is about. That's admiration of someone...it's different.

It's the collective fight and allegiance for the whole history and future. It's to be a part of something bigger than just the now.

I'm not disrespecting anyone who thinks selling off the name of the ground is fine. I'm just struggling to work out why some people pick a certain club to support if tradition and history aren't important.

Well said  :clap: :clap:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

http://blogs.journallive.co.uk/journalblogcentral/2011/11/mps-anger-over-renaming-of-st.html

MPs' anger over renaming of St James' Park

By William Green on Nov 11, 11 12:14 PM

FURIOUS MPs have rounded on plans to rename St James' Park and demanded a rethink from Newcastle United bosses.

Newcastle North MP Catherine McKinnell said: "To do away with more than 130 years' of history like this is frankly unbelievable, and demonstrates a lack of respect for the club, its proud history, the people of Newcastle and the memory of local legends like Jackie Milburn and Sir Bobby Robson.

"It will always be St James' Park to me, and I'm sure for thousands of others. So I would urge all Newcastle fans to contact the board and demand that they rethink this terrible decision - we mustn't take this lying down."

Fellow Labour MP Nick Brown, who represents Newcastle East, said: "It has been known as St James' Park for over 100 years and should remain known as St James' Park.

"It shows a complete insensitivity and failure to understand the community of Tyneside to consider renaming it."

Labour MP for Newcastle Central Chi Onwurah said: "I was horrified when this was first suggested and today I am really saddened that the Newcastle United management can apparently remove such an iconic name out of our regional vocabulary.

"I will continue to use the name St James' Park and others will as well."

Wansbeck MP Ian Lavery, who has a season ticket, said he had boycotted games because of Mike Ashley and would not return until changes at the club.

"I think the team is doing exceptionally well at this moment in time. They have got a lot of determination and they seem to be playing in the right spirit. But that will not carry them through for the full season," said the Labour MP.

He added: "I think it is incredulous that Llambias and Ashley are saying at this point of the season they are changing the name of St James' Park if we want to buy a new player.

"It is typical of them, treating the fans with contempt.

"It will always be St James' Park. How dare they try to sell that off of the premier team in the North East of England? I am absolutely livid at the suggestion."

:thup:

Guest icemanblue

Extortion? Wut? :lol:

Are you thinking of another word, like embezzlement, which it isn't either?

Look it up in the dictionary.

Extortion (also called shakedown, outwresting, and exaction) is a criminal offence which occurs when a person unlawfully obtains either money, property or services from a person(s), entity, or institution, through coercion

Embezzlement is the act of dishonestly appropriating or secreting assets by one or more individuals to whom such assets have been entrusted.

How long did it take you to find something worded to make me look wrong? :lol: Most likely off wikipedia and edited yourself.

:lol: Eh?! This a wind up?

http://blogs.journallive.co.uk/journalblogcentral/2011/11/mps-anger-over-renaming-of-st.html

FURIOUS MPs have rounded on plans to rename St James' Park and demanded a rethink from Newcastle United bosses.

Newcastle North MP Catherine McKinnell said: "To do away with more than 130 years' of history like this is frankly unbelievable, and demonstrates a lack of respect for the club, its proud history, the people of Newcastle and the memory of local legends like Jackie Milburn and Sir Bobby Robson.

"It will always be St James' Park to me, and I'm sure for thousands of others. So I would urge all Newcastle fans to contact the board and demand that they rethink this terrible decision - we mustn't take this lying down."

Fellow Labour MP Nick Brown, who represents Newcastle East, said: "It has been known as St James' Park for over 100 years and should remain known as St James' Park.

"It shows a complete insensitivity and failure to understand the community of Tyneside to consider renaming it."

Labour MP for Newcastle Central Chi Onwurah said: "I was horrified when this was first suggested and today I am really saddened that the Newcastle United management can apparently remove such an iconic name out of our regional vocabulary.

Wansbeck MP Ian Lavery, who has a season ticket, said he had boycotted games because of Mike Ashley and would not return until changes at the club.

"I think the team is doing exceptionally well at this moment in time. They have got a lot of determination and they seem to be playing in the right spirit. But that will not carry them through for the full season," said the Labour MP.

He added: "I think it is incredulous that Llambias and Ashley are saying at this point of the season they are changing the name of St James' Park if we want to buy a new player.

"It will always be St James' Park. How dare they try to sell that off of the premier team in the North East of England? I am absolutely livid at the suggestion."

Very good.

Vote for me, vote for me. twats the lot of them

Extortion (also called shakedown, outwresting, and exaction) is a criminal offence which occurs when a person unlawfully obtains either money, property or services from a person(s), entity, or institution, through coercion

Embezzlement is the act of dishonestly appropriating or secreting assets by one or more individuals to whom such assets have been entrusted.

How long did it take you to find something worded to make me look wrong? :lol: Most likely off wikipedia and edited yourself.

I think we can safely call it a draw and move on.

No way do you get a draw out of that.... :lol:

it was a dominating draw

it was a dominating draw

I've heard of pyrrhic victories, but never pyrrhic draws. :neutral:

Guest bimpy474

Tbh although her sentiment is spot on, but i find hard to listen to any Labour MP after they decided to remove some brilliant bits of our countries history being taught in schools.

Agree with what they say, just not whos saying it.

Guest bimpy474

Steve Wraith was gobbing off on Scotland Tonight last night - http://news.stv.tv/scotland-tonight/278655-stadium-name-changes-inevitable-for-cash-strapped-scottish-teams/

Worth a look, if you've got a few minutes.

I thought Wraith was quite reserved about Fatty, i was expecting him to go nuclear yesterday, but was surprised at his sensibleness.