St James' Park

Delima

For those who don't think it's a big deal...why do you support Newcastle United and not some other team? Genuine question.

Because if tradition and soul aren't important to you then what is it that makes you support NUFC? Or any club for that matter? You could support any team if it's not important. Tradition and soul are what it's all about. We're born into supporting a team or chose to support a team because of everything the club is/has stood for and has been (those who choose and stick to it no matter what).

Yes we can admire the current players, even admire the owners if that's your bag. But they aren't Newcastle United or what personifies Newcastle United. They are the current employees who are trying to propel the 'Club' forward as everyone before and everyone after will. They'll all be gone in a few years or so. It's not what supporting any specific club is about. That's admiration of someone...it's different.

It's the collective fight and allegiance for the whole history and future. It's to be a part of something bigger than just the now.

I'm not disrespecting anyone who thinks selling off the name of the ground is fine. I'm just struggling to work out why some people pick a certain club to support if tradition and history aren't important.

I think this is a totally daft f***ing post, to be honest.

The name of the stadium has f*** all to do with why I support Newcastle. And when I first went to a game, at the age of 11, many years before most of the people on this forum were even born, before a single brick of the current St James' Park was in place, more than 20 years before the club acquired the crest it currently uses, tradition was the last thing on my young mind.

Did you read the post?

It's not just about the name of the stadium

http://blogs.journallive.co.uk/journalblogcentral/2011/11/mps-anger-over-renaming-of-st.html

MPs' anger over renaming of St James' Park

By William Green on Nov 11, 11 12:14 PM

FURIOUS MPs have rounded on plans to rename St James' Park and demanded a rethink from Newcastle United bosses.

Newcastle North MP Catherine McKinnell said: "To do away with more than 130 years' of history like this is frankly unbelievable, and demonstrates a lack of respect for the club, its proud history, the people of Newcastle and the memory of local legends like Jackie Milburn and Sir Bobby Robson.

"It will always be St James' Park to me, and I'm sure for thousands of others. So I would urge all Newcastle fans to contact the board and demand that they rethink this terrible decision - we mustn't take this lying down."

Fellow Labour MP Nick Brown, who represents Newcastle East, said: "It has been known as St James' Park for over 100 years and should remain known as St James' Park.

"It shows a complete insensitivity and failure to understand the community of Tyneside to consider renaming it."

Labour MP for Newcastle Central Chi Onwurah said: "I was horrified when this was first suggested and today I am really saddened that the Newcastle United management can apparently remove such an iconic name out of our regional vocabulary.

"I will continue to use the name St James' Park and others will as well."

Wansbeck MP Ian Lavery, who has a season ticket, said he had boycotted games because of Mike Ashley and would not return until changes at the club.

"I think the team is doing exceptionally well at this moment in time. They have got a lot of determination and they seem to be playing in the right spirit. But that will not carry them through for the full season," said the Labour MP.

He added: "I think it is incredulous that Llambias and Ashley are saying at this point of the season they are changing the name of St James' Park if we want to buy a new player.

"It is typical of them, treating the fans with contempt.

"It will always be St James' Park. How dare they try to sell that off of the premier team in the North East of England? I am absolutely livid at the suggestion."

:thup:

Good to hear this :thup:

Taking back (if he has) what you've put in, is not "taking out"

Check out the previous regime for a real example of taking out. (£52 Millions worth of taking out)

Of course it's taking out, I take money out of my bank account on a daily basis.  I put it in and I take it out.

Also remember that the money he put in he then spent on things like Alan Smith (£6m fee, what, £13m contract?) covering the losses he made when he took us down through his own stupidity, covering losses from replacing nearly all our paid sponsorship boards with unpaid ones, buying and paying players we didn't need and managers didn't want as favours to friends, paying money to people he wrongly sacked...  And none of this money, nor any of his free advertising, including the stadium name change, has reduced the amount we owe him by a penny.

Check out the previous regime for a real example of taking out. (£52 Millions worth of taking out)

Of course it's taking out, I take money out of my bank account on a daily basis.  I put it in and I take it out.

Suppose you loaned some of your money to a company. If the company paid some of it back (with no interest) do you consider that you have taken money out of that company? I can't see that you have since all you have done is get a repayment of what you loaned in the first place.

On the other hand if you charged 6% interest on the loan then you have taken money out because you did not put the interest into the company in the first place. The company has had to somehow earn the interest in order to be able to pay it to you.

Suppose you loaned some of your money to a company. If the company paid some of it back (with no interest) do you consider that you have taken money out of that company? I can't see that you have since all you have done is get a repayment of what you loaned in the first place.

On the other hand if you charged 6% interest on the loan then you have taken money out because you did not put the interest into the company in the first place. The company has had to somehow earn the interest in order to be able to pay it to you.

If I loaned a company money and they re-paid it of course I'd consider that I'd taken money out of that company.  I understand that Ashley has saved us money by not charging interest, he's still taken at least £6 million out, even if it is the money that he put in.

That bloke that Rocker thumped... he was pissing against the stadium because he knew what was coming didn't he?

Clever Zombie.

When did Rocker thump somebody?  :lol:

It was after he watched the Stoke game. He saw the Zombie pissing outside St. James' and decked the lad for doing so :laugh:

If I loaned a company money and they re-paid it of course I'd consider that I'd taken money out of that company.  I understand that Ashley has saved us money by not charging interest, he's still taken at least £6 million out, even if it is the money that he put in.

Well as I said I just can't see it that way. So you see repayment of a loan as the same thing as taking a salary or a dividend?

BTW the interest reference wasn't specifically about Ashley it was just an example of what I would consider to be taking money out a company.

I can see where you got your £1 million and £5 million figures from as the loans fluctuated during 2008 and 2009. But year on year (up until the latest 2010 accounts) the loans that Ashley put into the company increased and he's not taken a net reduction or anything like it. 

I get so p*ssed off with all this self-righteous hysteria.

The part of our heritage that I really want to ditch is the last 40+ years of failure. If this helps, then I'm fine about it. It would be nice to keep the name, but it's a sacrifice that I'd be prepared to make.

In what world do you live where a stadium name change correlates to the success of a football club?

You already know the answer to that, don't you? If the club increases its income and it spends the money wisely, you increase the chances of success on the field.

I worry about how naive you'd have to be to think this will increase our income by a single penny.

earth shudderingly stupid

WEAPONS grade stupidity

Infinity times stupid.

I win.

Guest johnson293

“I’m devastated they’re changing the name - the ground has been my home for more than 20 years. I feel like it would have been better if they folded the team than do what they’ve done. It’s always been St James’ Park and it always will be to me.

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/evening-chronicle-news/2011/11/11/brick-fan-condemns-sports-direct-arena-bid-72703-29758705/#ixzz1dPYo0991

:serious:

Well as I said I just can't see it that way. So you see repayment of a loan as the same thing as taking a salary or a dividend?

BTW the interest reference wasn't specifically about Ashley it was just an example of what I would consider to be taking money out a company.

I can see where you got your £1 million and £5 million figures from as the loans fluctuated during 2008 and 2009. But year on year (up until the latest 2010 accounts) the loans that Ashley put into the company increased and he's not taken a net reduction or anything like it. 

I've been in the same position as Ashley but on a slightly smaller scale :lol: I helped set up an engineering company and made an interest free loan for 3 years, three years later I took the loan back.  I took that money out of the company as it was in the company bank account on the Friday and I had it in mine 4 working days later.

The part of our heritage that I really want to ditch is the last 40+ years of failure. If this helps, then I'm fine about it. It would be nice to keep the name, but it's a sacrifice that I'd be prepared to make.

In what world do you live where a stadium name change correlates to the success of a football club?

You already know the answer to that, don't you? If the club increases its income and it spends the money wisely, you increase the chances of success on the field.

I worry about how naive you'd have to be to think this will increase our income by a single penny.

WEAPONS grade stupidity

Infinity times stupid.

I win.

Inifinity +1

WEAPONS grade stupidity

Infinity times stupid.

I win.

Inifinity +1

:celb: Get in there Cajun my son.

WEAPONS grade stupidity

Infinity times stupid.

I win.

Inifinity +1

Potato

I've been in the same position as Ashley but on a slightly smaller scale :lol: I helped set up an engineering company and made an interest free loan for 3 years, three years later I took the loan back.  I took that money out of the company as it was in the company bank account on the Friday and I had it in mine 4 working days later.

Semantics - my definition of taking out is extracting money that you didn't put in. So let's just leave it and say I'm not in agreement with you  ;)

Also remember that the money he put in he then spent on things like Alan Smith (£6m fee, what, £13m contract?) covering the losses he made when he took us down through his own stupidity, covering losses from replacing nearly all our paid sponsorship boards with unpaid ones, buying and paying players we didn't need and managers didn't want as favours to friends, paying money to people he wrongly sacked...  And none of this money, nor any of his free advertising, including the stadium name change, has reduced the amount we owe him by a penny.

So now he's getting pelters for buying players and paying them decent money?

Players may not have worked out, but from where we were when he bought out SJH and FF, the likes of Rosenthal, Cacapa, Smith and Barton were on paper pretty good buys.

Not to mention Enrique, Colo, Jonas.

Of course there's been shite bought that were never going to work out, personally I wouldn't lump Smith in there at the time we bought him - there was a player in Smith at one point. I'd love to know what players we bought/loaned that we didn't need. OK the players may have been shit, but the positions needed filling somehow.

Then onto managers, Fat Sam wasn't his choice and to be honest having him in place started off the whole KK, JFK, Shearer farce. Again though, you can't put the blame at MA's door for needing to pay of Fat Sam

I disagree that Smith was ever a good buy and you are more than happy to dig up my posts from back then.

Personally I don't agree with diggin up individuals posts from a by gone era to prove or dis-prove a point.

There were plenty of people against Smith coming in, but there were also plenty who saw it as a decent move. Thats my point really, its easy to sit here now and say it was a shit move