St James' Park

Delima

Whats in a name?? we are still NUFC what does it matter.  Don't tell me I'm not a true supporter because I'm a born and bred geordie and supported the club fo nearly 60 years.  Times change, it's time to move on, we are in a big money business initially due to Sky TV things have changed. To be honest I was very anti Ashley but credit where it's due he has dug the club out of a massive hole left by Freddy Shepherd & Co, we have brought in some geat 'unknown' players and eventually some stability.  Time would bew better spent supporting Ashley and taking the blinkers off. 

Youre obviously happy with Ashley and co Lying to the supporters, Treating everyone and the clubs history with total disrespect, the Keegan Hughton Shearer etc fiascos, The tacky signs covering the stadium, Renaming SJP.

So where would you draw the 'line'?

Whats in a name?? we are still NUFC what does it matter.  Don't tell me I'm not a true supporter because I'm a born and bred geordie and supported the club fo nearly 60 years.  Times change, it's time to move on, we are in a big money business initially due to Sky TV things have changed. To be honest I was very anti Ashley but credit where it's due he has dug the club out of a massive hole left by Freddy Shepherd & Co, we have brought in some geat 'unknown' players and eventually some stability.  Time would bew better spent supporting Ashley and taking the blinkers off. 

Youre obviously happy with Ashley and co Lying to the supporters, Treating everyone and the clubs history with total disrespect, the Keegan Hughton Shearer etc fiascos, The tacky signs covering the stadium, Renaming SJP.

So where would you draw the 'line'?

Sports Direct as shirt sponsor - with proof in the accounts that no fee is being paid?

Red and blue striped away kit?

Newcastle United F.C. becoming Sports Direct Newcastle F.C..?

A red and blue striped away kit is probably the one I fear most for next season.

I think that's pretty much going over the line. Can't see it.

Why not? No history involved there so might aswell make it to fit our new sponsor next season. Also there is no money in shirt sales according to dekka so they won't be arsed if you buy it or not.

There are no lines left to cross if you listen to some people, just accept and move on, progress :thup: [/sarcasm in abundance]

Guest thenorthumbrian

A red and blue striped away kit is probably the one I fear most for next season.

I think that's pretty much going over the line. Can't see it.

The renaming of St James' Park is already well over the line.

Its now just a question how far over the line the southern bastards are willing to drag the carcass of a once proud club.

Guest Haris Vuckic

We've had a red and blue striped away kit before. 06-07 was the most recent I think.

That one was not striped though. But we had one in 95-96 season.

That wasn't striped either it was hooped and imo they were both burgundy!

Just curious but would people put up with Ashley and be happy for him to own the club if he replaced Llambias with someone more palatable?

Or is he done with you, regardless of who his deputy is?

We've had a red and blue striped away kit before. 06-07 was the most recent I think.

That one was not striped though. But we had one in 95-96 season.

That wasn't striped either it was hooped and imo they were both burgundy!

Wasn't that strip introduced because they were the colours of Newcastle East End before they became United ?

My honest impression is - with exceptions of course - that the older posters on here are more accepting of this move than the younger ones. In a sense, that's the opposite of what you'd expect, with tradition being under threat.

I can only think that, as is natural, the older you are, the more changes in the game you've seen and the more you come to the view that a) some change is inevitable and b) the heart and soul of the game is not as easily threatened as you might think. Football followers and journos tend to be a bit conservative and the cry that the game is on the verge of ruin has been a regular one over the last 40 + years.

I've been a supporter of the club since the sixties, and during that period we've usually seemed to be behind the times, as if what other clubs did yesterday, we'd do tomorrow. We were late in developing the stadium, getting modern training facilities and developing our youth system. Sir John Hall was a dynamic figure, eager to bring the club into the modern era, but even then I don't think we quite caught up in every aspect, and then the club fell into the hands of a fool in Shepherd.

Ashley blundered in his first two years and all things being equal I'd rather not change the name of the stadium. But he's got a bold approach and a plan for the future, and some of his more recent decisions - whilst being opposed by most fans and scoffed at by so-called experts - have turned out to be good (eg replacing Hughton with Pardew, selling Carroll, getting rid of Nolan and Barton) The guy makes me a bit nervous because the boundary between being daring and being reckless is often a fine one. I can't say I trust him 100%, but at least we're starting to try to get ahead of the game, rather than trailing along behind, which from my long-term perspective has been the usual norm.

So I'm prepared to still cut the guy some slack. And to those who would rather go to war, I'd ask what the alternative is. There doesn't seem to be any oil billionaires on the horizon, and in any case the Financial Fair Play rules might discourage another wealthy ego-tripper. We've had local ownership for the previous 50+ years and it didn't bring us success.