St James' Park

Delima

Guest sydneycove

Woah, not us really to be fair, we are not the Sports Direct stadium, and seriously doubt we ever will be. There is just branding i.e [company name] at St James's Park.

Just :lol: It's all over the ground.

Certainly is. But it's not the SDS, and that's quite an important part of it for me.

Advertising is advertising, but actually having some bloke on 5 Live saying 'now we're of to Newcastles Sports Direct Stadium for the second half' would be f***ing galling.

Again to be fair outside of Britain if you asked somebody what Sportsdirect was unless they were a Newcastle fan you would get a blank look.

What is there under "Related party transactions" is the following:

Advertising and promotional services were provided in the year to companies associated with Mr M J W Ashley, the sole shareholder of the company's parent undertaking, St James Holdings Limited. No consideration was paid or payable for these services and the cost associated with the services was £42,250.

During the current and prior year, advertising and promotional services were provided to companies associated with Mr M J W Ashley, the sole shareholder of the company's parent undertaking, St James Holdings Limited. No consideration was paid or payable for these services and the cost associated with the services in the prior year was £42,250.

During the current and prior year, advertising and promotional services were provided to companies associated with Mr M J W Ashley, the sole shareholder of the company's parent undertaking, MASH Holdings Limited. No consideration was paid or payable for these services.

Wonder what the 2011 accounts will show? :rolleyes:

Woah, not us really to be fair, we are not the Sports Direct stadium, and seriously doubt we ever will be. There is just branding i.e [company name] at St James's Park.

Certainly is. But it's not the SDS, and that's quite an important part of it for me.

Advertising is advertising, but actually having some bloke on 5 Live saying 'now we're of to Newcastles Sports Direct Stadium for the second half' would be f***ing galling.

Again to be fair outside of Britain if you asked somebody what Sportsdirect was unless they were a Newcastle fan you would get a blank look.

I've not a clue what any of those Australian brands are you listed. O0

Guest sydneycove

So if a company like say Northern Rock or someone else came along offering to buy the naming rights would you guys still find it weird?

Tbh it wouldn't be as bad if it wasn't Sports f***ing Direct and the money was going towards improving us.

But it is costing the club money and it's Sports f***ing Direct which is as s**** as you can get.

This stuff about costing us money is going a bit far, there was nothing like that in the last accounts.

Yes there was.

Edit: looks like I was thinking of the ones before that.

Of course it's costing us money! Company's aren't putting the signs up and doing up the dugouts with Sports Direct seats and such, free of charge are they :lol:

It's costing someone money certainly. There was nowt about it in the latest accounts though, and you'd hope there'd be some wedge from SD to us in the next lot.

Guest sydneycove

I've not a clue what any of those Australian brands are you listed. O0

Thats just mean. Money well spent then    :jesuswept: :p

Wonder what the 2011 accounts will show? :rolleyes:

The money mentioned 2 years running is the same money. 

In the last set of Published accounts one of the companies owned by Ashlety bought property off the club at book value, I have no idea of its worth.

Even if money isn't directly (not meant to be a pun) out of the club, we could have sold the rights to someone so in effect it is still costing the club.

As I said before, I would have still been uneasy about it but would have felt a lot more comfortable if it wasn't Sports Direct.

So if a company like say Northern Rock or someone else came along offering to buy the naming rights would you guys still find it weird?

I find renaming stadiums pretty diabolical whoever the company. For new stadiums it's just about bearable, but ones with any kind of history to them shouldn't be touched imho.

Sadly I guess at some point there will be a critical mass of the bloody things, and whoever is left will have to change or be left seriously out of pocket though.

Not weird, but still wrong. NUFC has played football at St. James' Park for 119 years, and will probably always play at St. James' Park. There's fuck all tradition left as it is. What's next, renaming the club itself?

You simply can't compare sports clubs in the UK to those in other countries. US teams... er, sorry I mean franchises, don't think anything of upping sticks and moving the whole thing to a different state for fuck's sake! :lol:

Of course we would, it's been St James' Park for more than 100 years and all that we have known.  It may be more acceptable if we actually sold the naming rights instead of giving them away and paying for the privilege to a scumbag who now just seems to be taking the piss out of the fans with every move that he makes.

Guest sydneycove

I find renaming stadiums pretty diabolical whoever the company. For new stadiums it's just about bearable, but ones with any kind of history to them shouldn't be touched imho.

Sadly I guess at some point there will be a critical mass of the bloody things, and whoever is left will have to change or be left seriously out of pocket though.

Again like I said the EPL has had a good run but the whole world is moving that way.

Tbh it wouldn't be as bad if it wasn't Sports f***ing Direct and the money was going towards improving us.

But it is costing the club money and it's Sports f***ing Direct which is as s**** as you can get.

This stuff about costing us money is going a bit far, there was nothing like that in the last accounts.

Yes there was.

Of course it's costing us money! Company's aren't putting the signs up and doing up the dugouts with Sports Direct seats and such, free of charge are they :lol:

It's costing someone money certainly. There was nowt about it in the latest accounts though, and you'd hope there'd be some wedge from SD to us in the next lot.

I'd be pretty amazed if things that have been done in the last month appeared in last year's accounts like ;)

If we had done a 'Barca', 'Villa' etc.. and Ashley had put the space to use for a charity, for free or even paid them to use their name it would have had the same (actually more) effect as 'showcasing' the idea that they claim they have put it up for.

Obviously that would mean not getting free advertising for his brand though.

Again like I said the EPL has had a good run but the whole world is moving that way.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/WWgeronimo.jpg

I HEAR YA

Yes there was.

I'd be pretty amazed if things that have been done in the last month appeared in last year's accounts like ;)

Alright, the lot after then. Jeeez. :lol:

Mabe there will be something in the next lot though fingers crossed. The ramping up of shit plastered around the place hasn't just been in the last month. O0

Yes there was.

Alright, the lot after then. Jeeez. :lol:

Mabe there will be something in the next lot though fingers crossed. The ramping up of s*** plastered around the place hasn't just been in the last month. O0

The Gallowgate roof will be covered by the next set of accounts which will be out between next January and April, probably.

Simple question, but do the named stadia have their names in as many places as Sports Direct at SJP?

Selling our stadium name may be a financial inevitability, but it doesn't need to be done as tackily as its appearing to be.

Guest sydneycove

Simple question, but do the named stadia have their names in as many places as Sports Direct at SJP?

Selling our stadium name may be a financial inevitability, but it doesn't need to be done as tackily as its appearing to be.

Depends. A-League games have Westfields advertising plastered everywhere because the chairman of our FA is Frank Lowy

Not weird, but still wrong. NUFC has played football at St. James' Park for 119 years, and will probably always play at St. James' Park. There's f*** all tradition left as it is. What's next, renaming the club itself?

You simply can't compare sports clubs in the UK to those in other countries. US teams... er, sorry I mean franchises, don't think anything of upping sticks and moving the whole thing to a different state for f***'s sake! :lol:

Poor Dave.  :thdn:  That's more a product of a system without multiple professional levels of a sport within each city/district than it is some lack of sentimentality/community claim.  I'll grant you the lesser sports like basketball and hockey do move around more, but MLB has had one move in the last 40 years and the NFL one in the last 15.  It's hardly a game of franchise musical chairs with revolving cities every other month.

Not that any of that changes the fact the SD sign is an abomination.

Not weird, but still wrong. NUFC has played football at St. James' Park for 119 years, and will probably always play at St. James' Park. There's f*** all tradition left as it is. What's next, renaming the club itself?

You simply can't compare sports clubs in the UK to those in other countries. US teams... er, sorry I mean franchises, don't think anything of upping sticks and moving the whole thing to a different state for f***'s sake! :lol:

Poor Dave.  :thdn:  That's more a product of a system without multiple professional levels of a sport within each

city/district than it is some lack of sentimentality/community claim.  I'll grant you the lesser sports like basketball and hockey do move around more, but MLB has had one move in the last 40 years and the NFL one in the last 15.  It's hardly a game of franchise musical chairs with revolving cities every other month.

Not that any of that changes the fact the SD sign is an abomination.

There have been around 20 NFL teams either moving, renamed or founded in the last 30 years though. Dave's spot on - tradition-wise, there is no comparison with here. The use of the word "franchise" rather than "team" over there is a pretty big clue.