St James' Park

Delima

1 minute ago, Stifler said:

That’s not to say it’s been given permission. The planning authority can talk to developers and say these will be concerns, these won’t be. In the end though it will still go to councillors on the planning committee who will make their own decision. The planning department will make them a recommendation based on if legally they can reject the scheme and if so on what grounds.

A lot of councillors go their own way or go the way of the political party even if it disregards the panning authorities recommendation. When Spurs were building their stadium, one of the councillors on there was very anti development and didn’t want to build a football stadium purely because he was not a Sports fan, and very typically upper class rich person who thinks anyone who doesn’t have a library for a house is a degenerate. He managed to pretty much delay the votes for as long as possible.

Its not on the moor, Its great for the city.....any councillor saying no may as well just resign as they wouldnt get voted back in.

8 minutes ago, madras said:

Its not on the moor, Its great for the city.....any councillor saying no may as well just resign as they wouldnt get voted back in.

I never said it was. There is more concerns than just being on parkland. Let’s say you close Strawberry Road for a Gallowgate extension. You have to allow for the traffic to be re-routed. More fans means more public transport needed, etc. Will the stadium change in design and will it be in keeping with the local area?

There are so many variables. I agree with you that going against a stadium expansion right now would not be a good political move, but some councillors may put their views above that. Let’s not forget that the councillors who voted for the buildings to be build above SJP Metro station have largely been voted back in since.

What I’m trying to say is that there is currently no planing permission submitted and certainly no planning permission granted for an extended SJP.

Of course the club will be talking to the council to engage what would be acceptable or in line with their regulations, that’s just a normal part of the planing process for large scale developments and advised for all proposals. That doesn’t mean something will or won’t be passed though.

Yeah I get all that, what I'm trying to put over is that there will or could be prepping work being done in the background. Questions being asked "If we propose this, how would it be viewed ?" It happens with most major building projects. If and it is an if, they get access to the St Jame's metro station land I really can't see what could be stopped given the bland office constructs that have been given permissin on that site already.

3 minutes ago, madras said:

Yeah I get all that, what I'm trying to put over is that there will or could be prepping work being done in the background. Questions being asked "If we propose this, how would it be viewed ?" It happens with most major building projects. If and it is an if, they get access to the St Jame's metro station land I really can't see what could be stopped given the bland office constructs that have been given permission on that site already.

I entirely agree, however my original post was just declaring how that Burnsie guy is full of shit and spreading fake news. Even if a planning application was launched today, in my opinion we would still be about a year away from it being approved.

1 hour ago, Wandy said:

Mehrdad mentioned ongoing discussions with the council in today's takeover anniversary interview. If they've got any sense then those talks will have involved discussing the possibilty of building a new stadium at Castle Leazes and remodelling the park. Sorry to say but SJP will probably never cut it as an elite stadium. There are simply too many obstacles.

Said a few times before - SJP will always be our home. 

Build a temp stadium with 52k capacity out of shipping containers a la that stadium on Qatar whilst SJP is demolished and rebiult. Pretty sure stadium finances not part of FFP and not like PIF cant afford it and the Reubens too

Edited by jarrovianmag

5 hours ago, NWMag said:

Burnsie seems to think expansion has been given the green light to 62,000. Strawberry corner and gallowgate being expanded summer 2023. Also says been told they might lower the pitch and build down but not sure how that would work.

The cunt must have got the SJP Company House info off here. The pathetic egomaniac cunt. Not you, @NWMag.

Edited by nufcjb

9 hours ago, Wandy said:

Mehrdad mentioned ongoing discussions with the council in today's takeover anniversary interview. If they've got any sense then those talks will have involved discussing the possibilty of building a new stadium at Castle Leazes and remodelling the park. Sorry to say but SJP will probably never cut it as an elite stadium. There are simply too many obstacles.

100% agree they can redevelop the Gallowgate all they want, but as long as the East Stand remains in its current guise it will never be a world class stadium. 

I honestly think a redevelopment of St Jame’s will involve far more than simply sticking another tier on the Gallowgate. The owners have stated they want to be best in class. The only way to do this and remain on current site is to move the stadium up towards the Leazes multi story car park to create space for Leazes Terrace. They could certainly start building the new structure like Spurs did with the current ground remaining open, but there would come a point when St Jame’s would have to be closed and where do we play then.

Massive hurdles remain in staying at St Jame’s and I agree the Castle Leazes site still makes more sense, with the current ground being given up as a usable park  in a land exchange. Leazes Terrace would have open views across the new park surely a win win for all concerned.

1 hour ago, Whitley mag said:

100% agree they can redevelop the Gallowgate all they want, but as long as the East Stand remains in its current guise it will never be a world class stadium. 

I honestly think a redevelopment of St Jame’s will involve far more than simply sticking another tier on the Gallowgate. The owners have stated they want to be best in class. The only way to do this and remain on current site is to move the stadium up towards the Leazes multi story car park to create space for Leazes Terrace. They could certainly start building the new structure like Spurs did with the current ground remaining open, but there would come a point when St Jame’s would have to be closed and where do we play then.

Massive hurdles remain in staying at St Jame’s and I agree the Castle Leazes site still makes more sense, with the current ground being given up as a usable park  in a land exchange. Leazes Terrace would have open views across the new park surely a win win for all concerned.

They've also stated we wont be moving, to do so would tear the soul out of the club.

Couldn't care less about having a world class stadium. Atmosphere, location, tradition, and a sense of community and belonging are everything.

It'll all be gone forever and too late to do anything about it if we scrap all that, tell ourselves it'll benefit the average fan, then end up like every other club that sold its soul for nothing. 

I agree until I can’t get in, I guess. 

Very hard one, if we can never sell any more season tickets and demand is astronomical, it’s a very difficult decision.

Spurs would be a good example for me, amazing new stadium that blows people away, designed to maximise atmosphere. Great location in the heart of their community. I wouldn’t say they’ve sold their soul. 

Of course, the PL in general has priced a lot of people out, but that’s regardless of stadia. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

People have a preconceived idea of what a world class ground looks like based on the current trend towards turning stadia into these all encompassing centres of entertainment in which a game of football just happens to be played.

It’s a very Americanised view of what the stadium experience should be. Pack people in and rinse them for all their worth. I don’t see it being particularly desirable from a moral perspective, but I think it’s also something that would actually be to the detriment of the current match day experience. One of the best things about a SJP is how the proximity allows the club to essentially take over the entire city centre on a Saturday afternoon. To deliver on this ‘world class’ stadium experience you’d likely need to move out of the city centre. It’d kill match days stone dead.

There’s an opportunity for the club to do something really innovative here. It doesn’t necessarily mean moving away from SJP. It doesn’t necessarily mean looking at the fans as cash cows.

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I agree until I can’t get in, I guess. 

Very hard one, if we can never sell any more season tickets and demand is astronomical, it’s a very difficult decision. 

After the first underwhelming season a load of people will fuck off in a huff.

My gut feeling is the club and council are going to break their backs to find a way to increase the capacity. Not sure by how much (East Stand is a lost cause IMO), but there’s too much on the line here. Everyone benefits.

Reckon we’ll get a ridiculous steep single tier Gallowgate expansion.

Edited by christ

26 minutes ago, christ said:

After the first underwhelming season a load of people will fuck off in a huff.

That would be somewhat maddening given the hoards who were only too happy to continuously and blindly pay through their noses to shovel down Ashley's shit. 

59 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Couldn't care less about having a world class stadium. Atmosphere, location, tradition, and a sense of community and belonging are everything.

It'll all be gone forever and too late to do anything about it if we scrap all that, tell ourselves it'll benefit the average fan, then end up like every other club that sold its soul for nothing. 

I agree with your sentiment "atmosphere, location, tradition and a sense of community and belonging are everything", but disagree with your final analysis.

Hypothetically, were the club to build a new stadium on Castle Leazes and extend Leazes Park to where St.James's once stood, why would we automatically lose atmosphere, location, tradition, and a sense of community and belonging? On the contrary, perhaps they could be enhanced? Additional, more tangible benefits such as increased capacity and further potential stadium uses would make a state-of-the-art stadium a greay addet for club snd city alike.

11 hours ago, madras said:

Yeah I get all that, what I'm trying to put over is that there will or could be prepping work being done in the background. Questions being asked "If we propose this, how would it be viewed ?" It happens with most major building projects. If and it is an if, they get access to the St Jame's metro station land I really can't see what could be stopped given the bland office constructs that have been given permissin on that site already.

That kind of behaviour undoubtedly goes on behind closed doors and has done since the invention of pretending to care what the people think. I don' see the value in revealing that fact to burnsie.

10 minutes ago, TomYam said:

I agree with your sentiment "atmosphere, location, tradition and a sense of community and belonging are everything", but disagree with your final analysis.

Hypothetically, were the club to build a new stadium on Castle Leazes and extend Leazes Park to where St.James's once stood, why would we automatically lose atmosphere, location, tradition, and a sense of community and belonging? On the contrary, perhaps they could be enhanced? Additional, more tangible benefits such as increased capacity and further potential stadium uses would make a state-of-the-art stadium a greay addet for club snd city alike.

If you can point to an example of this I'm all ears like.  As far I can tell it's at least always the argument for a new stadium and at best a swing and a miss (Spurs)

Guest reefatoon
21 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Make the lower level the corporate boxes and build a stadium on top.

Shaddap Burnsie.