St James' Park

Delima

40 minutes ago, Decky said:

Would love us to put in a proper museum as part of the stadium tour. We've won 4 league titles, 6 FA Cups and the Fairs Cup, more success than nearly all the clubs in England bar 9 and you wouldn't know a thing about it at SJP. Get it into a museum with everything else that goes with our history. A spot for every major trophy with the story about the team and story behind each win. 

I know I don't really get out much but there's very little I wouldn't do to be able to see the Tynemouth Infirmary Cup and the original Northumberland Senior Cup. Throw in some original West End and East End shirts, badges or other paraphernalia and the club might as well have all my time and money. 

10 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

The thing is the club could potentially have extended even without the land. It was only ever the proposed development that was a possible barrier - because of the residential element facing out onto Strawberry Place. So it explains why they've been arsing around trying to keep the permission active - all part of bargaining position while negotiations have been ongoing for months to sell the land. Even when you expect that's exactly what's going on it's so brazen and makes a mockery of the system. 

I wonder why the council was trying to encourage the development forward?

Edited by Mr Pups

6 hours ago, timeEd32 said:

Making the Gallowgate a single tier stand feels like the best (only?) way to really maximize the number of new seats that can be added. 

I'm also wondering what options there are to move the pitch towards the Millburn stand and maybe remove some rows of seats from the Millburn in order to allow for a bigger footprint on the East Stand.

you could do that but you'd only be gaining what you lost on the milburn. We could use some of the space around the pitch but then uefa requires a team to have 7m around the pitch for international matches, so that would be a sacrifice, with euro 2028 on the horizon thats unlikely 

7 hours ago, christ said:

There’s no way we get 67k on enough of a regular basis to justify that. There’s a balance between maximising gate receipts and availability of tickets. An extended Gallowgate taking us to 60k is the sweet spot.

Remember we’re in the honeymoon phase. Every expectation we have is being bested. We’re all in love with the club again. Life is sweet. Once this becomes the norm I don’t see us being able to pack another 15,000 into SJP every other week, let alone for cup and European fixtures.

We are living in an era where a bottom 6 West Ham are averaging 63k. Of course NUFC are capable of regular 67k crowds. We could do that right now and clearly our fanbase is going to grow considerably in the coming years.

Firmly believe we could sell out 65k+ every week. There's thousands of people who log in to snap up the remaining tickets that manage to go to general sale but there's also thousands who don't even bother because they know the chances are tiny and don't even bother. The demand is there. The tickets would be snapped up in a heartbeat if the Gallowgate was extended. 

Do something innovative with the East Stand and get 20+ boxes (somehow) in there and you're giving people a unique experience. A Geordie Bonbonera

8 hours ago, christ said:

There’s no way we get 67k on enough of a regular basis to justify that. There’s a balance between maximising gate receipts and availability of tickets. An extended Gallowgate taking us to 60k is the sweet spot.

Remember we’re in the honeymoon phase. Every expectation we have is being bested. We’re all in love with the club again. Life is sweet. Once this becomes the norm I don’t see us being able to pack another 15,000 into SJP every other week, let alone for cup and European fixtures.

For better or worse, idon't forget all the new fans locally, in UK and rest of the world that'll be following the club if we start winning trophies. We'll easily sell 67k every home game even if the older local fans are over the honeymoon phase.

40 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It’s the most minor of minor issues, but if the East stand is rebuilt in any way shape or form put the TV cameras in there.  It would look far more impressive to people around the world if they were looking at the Milburn

I have wanted this view for years but also I don't want it because the cameras will be directly facing the sun for 3 pm kick offs, though I doubt we'd have more of that timeslot moving forward.

Now that most people agree this new development is pointing to an expanded Gallowgate, what are the issues in doing that? I thought apart from this mess with the land, we also had problems with the Metro lines underneath among others. Saudis going to buy the Metro too?

And someone mentioned the Euros earlier. Let's say England do get it and SJP is hosting, how fast do we need to start work on the Gallowgate to get it done by the Euros? I'm sure the stadium of shite down the road is the alternative if we can't guarantee any expansions to be completed on time.

Edited by nufcjb

8 minutes ago, nufcjb said:

I have wanted this view for years but also I don't want it because the cameras will be directly facing the sun for 3 pm kick offs, though I doubt we'd have more of that timeslot moving forward.

Shouldn't be an issue really. Middlesbrough moved their main camera from their West Stand over to the East a few years ago with no problems re issues with sunlight.

1 hour ago, Wallsendmag said:

Shouldn't be an issue really. Middlesbrough moved their main camera from their West Stand over to the East a few years ago with no problems re issues with sunlight.

Aye, it's not a problem really. Many stadiums have the camera facing the sun. But personally, I hate watching it on TV, Glorious sunshine and all.

Won't be able to see the sun for the stands, and towards the summer it'll be way overhead. It's only an issue in stadiums with gaps between stands I guess.  You'd have to use a lens that was so wide it would be useless for sports coverage for the sun to be an issue if you're pointing at the Millburn from the East Stand. Might be a problem if you're an estate agent trying to get architectural shots to sell the place :lol:

Edited by OpenC

Thing about the camera facing the Milburn stand is that the main view would be the press boxes and director’s seats. Not a big deal but would feel weird looking at that rather than actual fans.