St James' Park

Delima

3 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

That doesn't really look like it buys you all that much space TBH, but I don't understand structural engineering too much.

It isn't necessarily even required space to extend the Gallowgate from a purely spatial point. Most of an actual extension would be across the existing footprint of the Gallowgate and what is currently Strawberry Place.

It's more that any development on that land would basically kibosh being able to extend across Strawberry Place. 1. because there would be resi immediately adjacent to it, and 2. because you'd almost certainly need some structural elements of an extension into that land and development would need full control of any works to the Metro station.

Having the land back in ownership solves all those barriers. It also provides the opportunity to develop that entire site with associated club developments.

I know fuck all about anything but I am absolutely certain that they could double the capacity of the East Stand by moving the pitch westwards by as many feet as possible and building a steep new stand in its place. They can even paint a giant picture of the sun on the back to keep Leazes Terrace happy.

I've seen people making a point about needing to build 'hanging' over Strawberry Place and retain the vehicular road primarily for emergency vehicles getting to the RVI. This has always seemed a non-issue to me. The road is barely accessible on matchdays anyway and has been closed completely on event days in the past - so clearly it isn't hypercritical.

You would obviously just create a pedestrian promenade alongside the new Gallowgate on the land gained. It can have retained access for emergency vehicles if required. This actually improves on the current situation as it is a lot easier to get an ambulance through a pedestrianised area at any time than it is one filled with traffic.

Still think that's a winner for me...

Replace east stand roof with a second tier ( so no higher then what it is now)

But then have a see through back and roof to allow light through.

Replace the outside with a nicer front ( even match the leazers terrace  build rather then 70s concrete)

To be fair we might need to support that roof with a few pillers lol

images (15).jpeg

Edited by RobsonsWonderland

39 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I've seen people making a point about needing to build 'hanging' over Strawberry Place and retain the vehicular road primarily for emergency vehicles getting to the RVI. This has always seemed a non-issue to me. The road is barely accessible on matchdays anyway and has been closed completely on event days in the past - so clearly it isn't hypercritical.

You would obviously just create a pedestrian promenade alongside the new Gallowgate on the land gained. It can have retained access for emergency vehicles if required. This actually improves on the current situation as it is a lot easier to get an ambulance through a pedestrianised area at any time than it is one filled with traffic.

If we're getting rid of the road then we could just move the whole stadium down and maybe rotate it a bit.  Would mean demolishing and rebuilding but there's a decent footprint there for a new SJP.

Leazes Terrace ain't going anywhere so people really need to forget about that. However there may be ways around it to allow some degree of expansion and increased scale. The main issues why LT is so constrictive (beyond the fact you can't ever demolish it) are:

- it is resi use so any increased height would have a detrimental impact on daylight/sunlight as well as outlook from habitable windows.

- as well as protecting listed buildings themselves policy requires protection of the 'setting' of listed buildings and conservation areas. So any development immediately adjacent to heritage assets generally needs to be sensitive in terms of scale, massing and townscape value. Obviously there are other considerations in terms of public benefit but the general crux is you can't build a tower block next to Durham Cathedral. To cite an extreme example.

The only way to resolve the first issue is to take the west facing resi units out of resi use. If they're offices or even short term accomodation like a hotel there isn't the same standards in terms of daylight/sunlight/outlook so things are far more flexible. In theory this means that if the club owned LT they could apply to change the use of certain parts and convert internally. It would not be straightforward because the original use of LT when built is residential and generally it is expected that a heritage building should be retained/restored to its original use unless there are significant arguments for otherwise. On another note both national and local policy encourages the retention and creation of residential units in city centre locations - particularly in Newcastle's case student accomodation (to move it away from the suburbs and free up family housing stock). Basically it would take a convincing argument but theoretically if it was included within a wider application to extend the East Stand (and thus the developments were intrinsically tied together) then it might become more feasible. Especially if a wider scheme includes replacing lost residential units elsewhere and potentially restoring lost internal historic fabric of Leazes Terrace to offset the loss of residential use.

The setting of the listed building is a slightly different issue and more nuanced. But I think it is possibly less a barrier than the residential use issue. Architectural taste and preference comes into it somewhat. Many would argue that the existing brutalist east stand does not compliment the setting of Leases Terrace and that replacing it with a more architecturally sensitive replacement could be an improvement - even if it is larger or closer (not saying I agree with this). Again this is somewhat down to judgement and opinion. It would be unusual (and in my opinion is a bit architecturally disingenuous) but there could be an argument for using a neo-georgian stone facade on the street facing exterior of a larger East Stand that reflects the style of the listed building which could then be argued to improve the setting (even if it is larger it in terms of scale).

I don't think there's any guarantee - but I think if the club does want to expand the East Stand they should probably buy Leazes Terrace or at least include it in any theoretical redevelopment proposals because it may open up far more options.

53 minutes ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

Still think that's a winner for me...

Replace east stand roof with a second tier ( so no higher then what it is now)

But then have a see through back and roof to allow light through.

Replace the outside with a nicer front ( even match the leazers terrace  build rather then 70s concrete)

To be fair we might need to support that roof with a few pillers lol

images (15).jpeg

Looks fantastic that but I'd love it if the Gallowgate was not only brought up to the same height as the Leazes, but also that it was built as a huge 1 tiered structure.

The current Leazes End has a capacity of 19,280 so you'd think a 1 tiered design of the same height could be pushing a 25,000 capacity and if this was also designated as entirely safe standing, same as what Spurs have, it would completely transform the atmosphere as well.

Regardless of whether we can expand the stadium, it's nice that we have owners who put some value on our property, unlike the cunt who was willing to sell it off piecemeal to line his own pockets.

Probably a stupid question but I haven't seen anyone mention it including Craig Hopes latest video when he walks around the stadium.

What about the road between the land and the stadium? The club doesn't own that and that will need to be used for any expansion?

22 minutes ago, Scotty66 said:

Probably a stupid question but I haven't seen anyone mention it including Craig Hopes latest video when he walks around the stadium.

What about the road between the land and the stadium? The club doesn't own that and that will need to be used for any expansion?

Can’t imagine the council having a problem closing the road on Strawberry Place. They’re desperate to stop people driving to town.

Edited by RodneyCisse

2 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

Looks fantastic that but I'd love it if the Gallowgate was not only brought up to the same height as the Leazes, but also that it was built as a huge 1 tiered structure.

The current Leazes End has a capacity of 19,280 so you'd think a 1 tiered design of the same height could be pushing a 25,000 capacity and if this was also designated as entirely safe standing, same as what Spurs have, it would completely transform the atmosphere as well.

I like the idea of that but I’d imagine including more boxes for corporate stuff brings in a fair bit of wonga. 

3 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

Don't know if a joke. But definitely not.

Casually slapping down a perfectly reasonable suggestion that has definitely not been mentioned before.:lol:

By the way is spelling Leazes as Leazers an in joke I've missed or something?  

it's a familiar oversight, but Leazes terrace isn't the main problem with regard to the East stand. If light issues and all that other fucking environmental shit wasn't a problem then the East stand could easily go back with the road running underneath. St James' terrace (grade 2 listed) on the otherhand is almost a cunt hairs length away  

leazes terrace.JPG