St James' Park

Delima

4 minutes ago, Ace said:

If they need 4/5* hotel it could be the difference maker.

The metro runs to Sunderland and they have a decent bus network so public transport links are reasonable and not much worse than Newcastle.

The political side of it could be true, could maybe go for Leeds with an expansion as another area but still relatively close.

Would be a bit harsh to rule out a 49000 seater on a 50k limit. 

There's one stadium in the West Midlands - population 3.5m, one in Greater Manchester, population almost as much, and one in Merseyside which also has a large population, and two in London, population 10m.

There's just no political argument to have two stadiums in the north east which a much, much lower population. Maybe if this were an England only tournament, but it's not.

Edited by brummie

2 minutes ago, brummie said:

There's one stadium in the West Midlands - population 3.5m, one in Greater Manchester, population almost as much, and one in Merseyside which also has a large population, and two in London, population 10m.

There's just no political argument to have two stadiums in the north east which a much, much lower population. Maybe if this were an England only tournament, but it's not.

Thing is Manchester/Liverpool are pretty close together so there’s 2 in a similar region.

Is there any other stadium suitable in the midlands? As would think that region would make the most sense for an extra one other than Yorkshire 

South-South West could have been a shout but only really Bristol City of decent size and that would still need expansion 

3 minutes ago, Ace said:

Thing is Manchester/Liverpool are pretty close together so there’s 2 in a similar region.

Is there any other stadium suitable in the midlands? As would think that region would make the most sense for an extra one other than Yorkshire 

South-South West could have been a shout but only really Bristol City of decent size and that would still need expansion 

Manchester and Merseyside together encompass an enormous population - 5m (3.5m + 1.5m), with god knows how many professional clubs in that area. The West Midlands and surrounding area also has a huge number of clubs.

Ultimately, as it's not just an England bid, they are limited to six venues, so i think they've done a pretty good job.

They've ignored the south west because it basically isn't football territory and as a result doesn't have any stadiums even remotely close to big enough.

If anything, I am impressed they resisted the temptation to give London 3 venues.

Just now, brummie said:

Manchester and Merseyside together encompass an enormous population - 5m (3.5m + 1.5m), with god knows how many professional clubs in that area. The West Midlands and surrounding area also has a huge number of clubs.

Ultimately, as it's not just an England bid, they are limited to six venues, so i think they've done a pretty good job.

They've ignored the south west because it basically isn't football territory and as a result doesn't have any stadiums even remotely close to big enough.

If anything, I am impressed they resisted the temptation to give London 3 venues.

Which particular one in the midlands? Didn’t think any of the others were near 40k never mind 50k? 

My initial point was why didn’t they go for 12 grounds rather than 10 as it fit the tournament better but if there is 6 in England it’s hard to argue with the 6 locations

Just now, Ace said:

Which particular one in the midlands? Didn’t think any of the others were near 40k never mind 50k? 

My initial point was why didn’t they go for 12 grounds rather than 10 as it fit the tournament better but if there is 6 in England it’s hard to argue with the 6 locations

The Midlands one is clearly Villa Park, which will be at 52k by then (rebuilding North Stand this summer).

Fair point re 12 v 10 grounds, it's probably part of the wider picture in terms of what UEFA insist on.

TBH it's probably only political reasons that make this a UK and ROI bid rather than just an England bid. England could easily host this on its own, but looks like multi country bids are the new 'thing'

3 minutes ago, brummie said:

The Midlands one is clearly Villa Park, which will be at 52k by then (rebuilding North Stand this summer).

Fair point re 12 v 10 grounds, it's probably part of the wider picture in terms of what UEFA insist on.

TBH it's probably only political reasons that make this a UK and ROI bid rather than just an England bid. England could easily host this on its own, but looks like multi country bids are the new 'thing'

Sorry I didn’t make myself clear, I meant as a potential second ground in the midlands if they did go for 12? 

I was thinking of Euro 2020 but that was 12 venues due to its unique set up. 2016 was 10 and 2024 in Germany will be 10 

I wonder if it’s a multi bid because of the Euro 2020 drama 

Think they’ve chosen well tbh, good geographic spread. I’d have Old Trafford over Etihad but City are expanding and OT is a bit of a shit tip like like SJP is/was so it’s a bit of a toss a coin.

If we’re hosts I hope we get no UK teams but some good travelling lot teams  in town. 20,000+ Dutch, Belgians, Poles, Germans or the like would be class. None of them Iberian or French mincers.

Be an expensive fucking summer if it does come here. Be applying for tickets all over the show.

8 hours ago, Decky said:

As far as Belfast goes I'm surprised they went with Casement Park over a revamped Windsor Park. Picking a GAA ground over NI's national soccer stadium. :lol: The loyalists are already on edge enough with the sea border lads howay. 

They should invite Germany to play their group games there.  It’s what Casement would have wanted. 

2 hours ago, Disco said:

Think they’ve chosen well tbh, good geographic spread. I’d have Old Trafford over Etihad but City are expanding and OT is a bit of a shit tip like like SJP is/was so it’s a bit of a toss a coin.

If we’re hosts I hope we get no UK teams but some good travelling lot teams  in town. 20,000+ Dutch, Belgians, Poles, Germans or the like would be class. None of them Iberian or French mincers.

Be an expensive fucking summer if it does come here. Be applying for tickets all over the show.

We’d need them if the attendances are owt like Euro 96 - Bulgaria vs Romania pulled a sub-20k crowd from memory, despite both sides having some really big names.  France didn’t pull much more than that, either. 

Bulgaria v Romania was at 4:30pm on a school day so tight for getting up to the ground for kids, etc.  Tickets weren’t exactly cheap at the time either.

I know France v Romania was an evening game but not sure on the other.

Edited by Sima

7 hours ago, Ace said:

When the metro is running with extra trains Ive found it no worse than getting out of town on a match day personally 

I've been to an England game there, never again. Had left 90 mins early, still missed kick-off and had to leave well before FT just to get a chance of a Metro back out.

9 hours ago, Ace said:

If they need 4/5* hotel it could be the difference maker.

The metro runs to Sunderland and they have a decent bus network so public transport links are reasonable and not much worse than Newcastle.

The political side of it could be true, could maybe go for Leeds with an expansion as another area but still relatively close.

Would be a bit harsh to rule out a 49000 seater on a 50k limit. 

The transport links to there are always high up on the mackems list of excuses why for they can't match us for support, just behind the North Sea argument, but usually above the one where loads of MLFs turned their backs on them in 1992 to support us instead, so even they would disagree with you on that count.

How would you react if the owners issued an additional one thousand season tickets next year but charged 5k each for them?  Taking these from the existing pool of tickets that currently go on sale match to match.    So no corporate.  Just the standard seats around the ground.  And just came out and were completely blunt and said supply and demand is insane, there is some demand that they think they would sell out.  Whether they would sell would be debatable.  Personally I think there would be some demand given how much people were paying for a single Wembley ticket (although probably not for a thousand of them).  

Commercial income up 5 million but its a bit evil.   

(I was reading twitter and saw some complaints as someone had done something similar and immidiatly lost the link!  It just got me thinking how it would go down here.  And its Friday and I'm bored!)

Edited by KetsbaiaIsBald

11 minutes ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

How would you react if the owners issued an additional one thousand season tickets next year but charged 5k each for them?  Taking these from the existing pool of tickets that currently go on sale match to match.    So no corporate.  Just the standard seats around the ground.  And just came out and were completely blunt and said supply and demand is insane, there is some demand that they think they would sell out.  Whether they would sell would be debatable.  Personally I think there would be some demand given how much people were paying for a single Wembley ticket (although probably not for a thousand of them).  

Commercial income up 5 million but its a bit evil.   

(I was reading twitter and saw some complaints as someone had done something similar and immidiatly lost the link!  It just got me thinking how it would go down here.  And its Friday and I'm bored!)

I don't think they'd see the potential backlash as being worth £5m after all the effort they've made in connecting with the fans so far

On 13/04/2023 at 02:26, TheBrownBottle said:

We’d need them if the attendances are owt like Euro 96 - Bulgaria vs Romania pulled a sub-20k crowd from memory, despite both sides having some really big names.  France didn’t pull much more than that, either. 

Was a day kick-off on a weekday, mind Anfield was mostly empty for a night game so maybe more about the ticket prices - £45 in 1996.

England, Scotland and Holland were the only teams that played in full stadiums.

Gets forgotten about beneath "its coming home" and all that but it was a poor tournament on and off the field.

I was excited about Hagi, Stoichkov, concievably Ginola and Cantona but most English football fans apparently weren't bothered about football outside of the country, unless its Brazil, not that their shallow or owt.

Edited by Wolfcastle

3 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Was a day kick-off on a weekday, mind Anfield was mostly empty for a night game so maybe more about the ticket prices - £45 in 1996.

England, Scotland and Holland were the only teams that played in full stadiums.

Gets forgotten about beneath "its coming home" and all that but it was a poor tournament on and off the field

Yeah, the poorly-timed KOs and ludicrous pricing didn't help.  Agree with the standard, too - it was a dreary tournament, no outstanding teams, the best player on show was a holding midfielder (albeit a superb one) which summed it up, really.  Euro 2000 was a vast improvement.

43 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

I don't think they'd see the potential backlash as being worth £5m after all the effort they've made in connecting with the fans so far

I don’t think so either.  I just think it’s curious what would be acceptable or not.  Adding additional boxes, corporate seats etc are seen as ok.  If we expanded the stadium people would be fine with some space being for corporate.  But other things are not.  Maybe an expansion to a stand exclusively for corporate wouldn’t go down as badly as this.  Silverstone got absolutely hammered for their pricing this year where pricing went up as tickets were sold. It’s seems the only thing considered fair is lotteries to decide.  

On 13/04/2023 at 02:26, TheBrownBottle said:

i seem to remember france binning off ginola which meant half the people up here couldnt give a shite

3 hours ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

I don’t think so either.  I just think it’s curious what would be acceptable or not.  Adding additional boxes, corporate seats etc are seen as ok.  If we expanded the stadium people would be fine with some space being for corporate.  But other things are not.  Maybe an expansion to a stand exclusively for corporate wouldn’t go down as badly as this.  Silverstone got absolutely hammered for their pricing this year where pricing went up as tickets were sold. It’s seems the only thing considered fair is lotteries to decide.  

i think (personally) making the gallowgate our wall as seems to be the fashion at the moment and moving all of those who dont want to partake out into the east stand or leazes is feasible.

there would be enough uptake from other areas of the ground to be in the gallowgate (wall) and thus the space for those who didnt.

You could then remodel areas of the milburn/leazes etc 

i also think the under21's corner could be moved into the gallowgate (wall) end thus expanding the family enclosure and more ST's for familys 

didnt there always used to be a juniors pen in the old gallowgate as well?

4 hours ago, Cookie1892 said:

i think (personally) making the gallowgate our wall as seems to be the fashion at the moment and moving all of those who dont want to partake out into the east stand or leazes is feasible.

there would be enough uptake from other areas of the ground to be in the gallowgate (wall) and thus the space for those who didnt.

You could then remodel areas of the milburn/leazes etc 

i also think the under21's corner could be moved into the gallowgate (wall) end thus expanding the family enclosure and more ST's for familys 

didnt there always used to be a juniors pen in the old gallowgate as well?

I agree with making the gallowgate the centre piece of creating the atmosphere, but shrinking the family enclosure would be my preference. 

The current huge family enclosure is a by product of Ashley trying to fill the ground on cheap, it’s huge and must be the biggest in country by a mile.

Getting groups of lads u21 going to the match together and creating an atmosphere is a must with any expansion though, but to me that’s completely different to a family enclosure which should have no part in any singing/standing end.

I wouldn’t even want the current U21 section turned into an expanded family enclosure, a couple of sections next to the away support giving a bit back and forth would be far better.

Edited by Whitley mag

2 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

I agree with making the gallowgate the centre piece of creating the atmosphere, but shrinking the family enclosure would be my preference. 

The current huge family enclosure is a by product of Ashley trying to fill the ground on cheap, it’s huge and must be the biggest in country by a mile.

Getting groups of lads u21 going to the match together and creating an atmosphere is a must with any expansion though, but to me that’s completely different to a family enclosure which should have no part in any singing/standing end.

I can see the family enclosure finishing. There's loads in there now who are over 18 because they were on the 10yr deal and the club will have difficulty to relocate them all when the deals come to an end.

Do we think that the club has given assurances that we'll upgrade and expand the stadium in time for the competition? Old Trafford couldn't guarantee theirs would be completed on time. So apart from geographically and also the various transport and accomodation criteria, surely we have been chosen due to the stadium itself but it isn't really that up to mark is it?

Edited by nufcjb