St James' Park

Delima

The thing that annoys me the most about this is we may never see it called St James' Park ever again. When Ashley eventually does one, what is to stop the new owner promoting his own or another business in the same way?

Guest bimpy474

For now, not for future supporters. If I ever have a child it's getting grounded every time it calls it that.

Aye but as those kids will be ours it will be drummed into them that it is SJP...........it will be in my two.

I think this will be the start of a lot of teams doing likewise tbh. Chelsea have already said they're actively looking for a stadium sponsor.

What will actively change if it's true? The fans are still there, the players and management aren't affected. Yes it strips away a piece of the cultural fabric of the club and it's tacky. I'm not sure though it's a disaster of epic proportions, few will actually call it Sports Direct or any other sponsor name. To anyone who matters, it will always be known as St James' Park.

It's not about fundamentally changing anything though, and to me it never has been. Apart from looking/sounding shite, it's more what it says about his attitude towards us that pisses me off. The fans in general couldn't be much happier at the way things are going at present, but rather than keeping his head down and maybe even building on the good feeling, he seems to see it as an opportunity to do something that fucks a load of those happy people off. It's just so needless.

Have a look at those comments I posted earlier, from over two years ago:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/8342406.stm

"We will showcase Sports Direct until the end of the season," chief executive Derek Llambias told BBC Newcastle.

"I'm sure we're going to get a sponsor in for next season."

Asked if the name "St James' Park" would always remain amid an angry response from fans, Llambias said: "Absolutely. In our reign, absolutely.

"It's adding to it, and if it brings in a good chunk of money to the club, that goes straight to the team, then do you know what, it's a revenue we should look at."

There's no other sponsor, no chunk of money was brought in going by the accounts, and it wasn't just a trial. Now we're apparently taking things a step further.

Names of stadiums are purely cosmetic. It will be forever SJP. Why let the fat b****** damped the mood. Lets concentrate on the football and not get wound up by that.

After all for the past year or two its been SJP @ Sports Direct. Whats really the big difference? It will always been SJP. End Of. Lets not fuel the media to damped the great start we've had

:thup:

It's been that way for 130 years and it will stay that way.

Still a f***ing kick in the nuts. Least Nexus will be too tight to change the name of the metro station...

Names of stadiums are purely cosmetic. It will be forever SJP. Why let the fat bastard damped the mood. Lets concentrate on the football and not get wound up by that.

After all for the past year or two its been SJP @ Sports Direct. Whats really the big difference? It will always been SJP. End Of. Lets not fuel the media to damped the great start we've had

Pretty much my thoughts. Expect hysterics though from the trouser soiling gang.

The thing that annoys me the most about this is we may never see it called St James' Park ever again. When Ashley eventually does one, what is to stop the new owner promoting his own or another business in the same way?

Good point, although I'd think new owners would drop the name as an early PR move. Gets the fans onside, makes them look good etc.

They're doing it because no one refers to it as Sportsdirect.com @SJP. So they've went all out.

With the full name change, news outlets will be forced to refer to it by the new name.

Hugely depressing to say the least but when he sells, the new owners will get straight onside by renaming it SJP.

I have no problem at in any sponsor paying for the name rights to the ground to be honest. It';s a great source of income, and being attached to a name is just plain silly imo.

My big problem though with this is that Sports Direct seem to get everything for free because they are owned by the same person. We'll hear all about how Mike plows in moeny and that the club can't "wipe it's own nose" or whatever the expression is that they use, but if it's giving away it's revenue streams for free then that's hardly surprising is it ?

So we're gaining absolute nowt for this?

A lot of tweets about it from some journalists now, Douglas just there a few posts up and now:

@brianjnled Brian Aitken

Big news on #nufc in #TheJournal tomoro including exclusive from chairman on why they're doing what they're doing

Good point, although I'd think new owners would drop the name as an early PR move. Gets the fans onside, makes them look good etc.

or just get some other crowds name on it since the shit storm will have already happened

Guest bimpy474

I don't think it ends with the name change btw. The way journos are going on it sounds a lot bigger. So I'm guessing it's the name change plus other stuff.

Just the Journo blowing it up for the sake of it.....wankers them like.

Guest Haris Vuckic

They're doing it because no one refers to it as Sportsdirect.com @SJP. So they've went all out.

With the full name change, news outlets will be forced to refer to it by the new name.

Hugely depressing to say the least but when he sells, the new owners will get straight onside by renaming it SJP.

No they wont

Our hand is being forced, we cannot cause disruption because of where we stand in the league, we are essentially being forced to agree to this bullshit.

Or ignore it............i hate saying its just a name, i know its deeper than that but lets not rise to the bait.

I agree, but it still pisses me off. What when we do shit? Just remember it all of a sudden, that's not right either. I'm going to ignore it for the record, as much as I can.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Not arsed really, will always be St James's to the fans, and will always be referred to as St james's anyway.

Why are they doing it then?

Raises the profile

Considering man city sold the rights for 400mil

Ashley has himself a bargain

Guest bimpy474

Our hand is being forced, we cannot cause disruption because of where we stand in the league, we are essentially being forced to agree to this bullshit.

Or ignore it............i hate saying its just a name, i know its deeper than that but lets not rise to the bait.

I agree, but it still pisses me off. What when we do shit? Just remember it all of a sudden, that's not right either. I'm going to ignore it for the record, as much as I can.

Totally agree..................i'm kind of hoping that if it is a name change, he says it will be with a payment of £20m to be put in for transfers, even though that would be Carroll money anyway.

Guest bimpy474

I don't think it ends with the name change btw. The way journos are going on it sounds a lot bigger. So I'm guessing it's the name change plus other stuff.

Probably renaming the club as well

Sports Direct Rovers ?

Mike Ashley City ?

Fuck you Geordies hahaha United ?

Ashley 11 ?

Ffs :(