Wigan 1 - 0 Newcastle - Post match thread

Wullie

I'm in no position to talk about the game as I didn't watch it but from the 2 pieces of action; the goal they scored was unsavable really. Given was not at fault.

Nobby striked the penalty perfectlly and you can just put it down to being a great save.

There, said my bit :) bring on the next game

I'm in no position to talk about the game as I didn't watch it but from the 2 pieces of action; the goal they scored was unsavable really. Given was not at fault.

Nobby striked the penalty perfectlly and you can just put it down to being a great save.

There, said my bit :) bring on the next game

Aye mate, you're right about their goal. The free kick was taken right in front of us, and it was a good strike, not much Given could have done.

I still don't know what went on with the pen, it was at the other end from us, and I've not seen any highlights.

But, the fact is, we didn't do anything, we just weren't creating anything - several players were anonymous. If we had a gameplan then it was to run around like headless chickens, and for that reason, Roeder must be partly to blame as well for that very reason. I don't want to get at Roeder too much, because sometimes we look OK, but sometimes isn't good enough.

Wigan themselves weren't very good, and as I've already said here (or was it on T-T), if we'd had anything about us - any proper plan and a bit of effort, then we'd have got something - probably 3 points, but as it was, Wigan deserved the win.

What I found really annoying was that once it was announced there was 5 minutes added on, suddenly we perked up a bit and put a little bit of effort in. Why the f*ck didn't we do that earlier on! Too late lads.

The tactics in the second half were a total disgrace and for me sums up Roeder - take away the good intentions and the nice guy -  a manager clueless tactically.

I don't think you can blame tactics for our second half display. I simply put it down to our confidence being shot after the penalty and numerous other good chances. I thought Roeder's substitutions were good ones and signalled his intent to get something from the game.

I am of the opinion that hoofing long balls, cutting out the wide men are tactics. 

The tactics in the second half were a total disgrace and for me sums up Roeder - take away the good intentions and the nice guy -  a manager clueless tactically.

Maybe, but it could have something to do with the players not being as good as some people think they are.

Maybe, but it could have something to do with the players not being as good as some people think they are.

Probably both on reflection

Ramage isn't a first-choice defender.

Ok, but we're not going to field our first choice in most matches, aren't we?

Can you read my signature?

Sorry, I don't believe in silly stats like those. Bramble is more valuable to NUFC than Parker? Don't think so.

If you think that, that [amongst other things - such as eyesight, common sense, understanding of football] does not qualify Bramble as at least a fourth-choice centre back at the club, you're either a WUM or you have a mindless vendetta... or you think we're Chelsea... Pick.

I don't want him to play for Newcastle United because he's a liability. When he panics everyone around him is put under unnecessary pressure thus disturbs the team's focus.

If you're going to say that you disagree with that Bramble passage above, are you going to tell me either, which and in what respect are four other centre-backs at the club better than Bramble, or, alternatively, which four centre-backs do you want to buy [and how do we get rid of our current batch]?

Apart from Taylor, no CB at the club is better than Bramble. That's hardly impressive though, is it?! (We'll exclude gooch for now 'cos he's not our's)

It's up to the club to come up with better defenders. There's no point for me to list names. I'm sure there are plenty of reasonably priced defenders across Europe.

Dinho Lad, you're just being plain intransigent mate. You don't believe in facts and you have no alternative solutions - that is to say, solutions with mechanical semantics involved.

Perhaps NM would like to continue in your stead...?

Dinho Lad, you're just being plain intransigent mate. You don't believe in facts and you have no alternative solutions - that is to say, solutions with mechanical semantics involved.

You're being kind.

You're being kind.

No sense in not being so. :)

Dinho Lad, you're just being plain intransigent mate.

I’m neither intransigent or a WUM. Accept other people’s opinion may differ from yours. After 5 or 6 seasons of cock-ups I’ve simply lost patience with Bramble. How long am I supposed to wait for him to finally string acceptable performances consistently?

Has he improved at all since we signed him? He has, but not by much.

Those stats don’t prove anything. Why don’t you get me the stats of his appearances and goals conceded from the previous seasons?

You really think Bramble holds our defence together? I don’t know which Bramble you’re watching, man.  But I think a clown on a donkey would perform better than him.

You don't believe in facts and you have no alternative solutions –

Facts? That’s a load of crap, mate. 

Unlike NM, I don’t moan at every possible opportunity. I've said I rate most of our midfielders and strikers, didn't I?

If you’re happy watching NUFC settling for mediocre players then that’s your choice. Personally, I’m fed of the club making us put up with players that are not good enough to wear the shirt of a club like Newcastle.

You're being kind.

N'Zogbia a "relegation player". :laugh:

Those stats don’t prove anything. Why don’t you get me the stats of his appearances and goals conceded from the previous seasons?

And write this -whole- season off as one of Bramble's "rare" purple patches?!

How long am I supposed to wait for him to finally string acceptable performances consistently?

How long does -he- have to do it for?!

Accept other people’s opinion may differ from yours.

Ultimately, that's all I can do short of beating my own brain in/having a circular-bandwidth-wasting quote-heavy  debate that exasperates the English language! :tongue: For the record, I apologise if it appeared I was personally discrediting you as a poster, I only meant to discredit your perspective, and, whilst I'm sure you [and a like-minded contingent] will disagree, I felt that I have. Forum of opinions and all that. :)

Going by the Sky-lights, we didn't create anything on the deck, down the middle, and that's where we really miss Dyer. It was all either long ball or played out to the wing.

I liked Onyewu's ruthless attitude, even though he's not the most polished of defenders. Either the man or the ball gets past him, but not both.

Eh?? What the fuck are you blathering about this time?

Dinho Lad, you're just being plain intransigent mate.

Im neither intransigent or a WUM. Accept other peoples opinion may differ from yours. After 5 or 6 seasons of cock-ups Ive simply lost patience with Bramble. How long am I supposed to wait for him to finally string acceptable performances consistently?

Has he improved at all since we signed him? He has, but not by much.

Those stats dont prove anything. Why dont you get me the stats of his appearances and goals conceded from the previous seasons?

You really think Bramble holds our defence together? I dont know which Bramble youre watching, man.  But I think a clown on a donkey would perform better than him.

You don't believe in facts and you have no alternative solutions

Facts? Thats a load of crap, mate.  

Unlike NM, I dont moan at every possible opportunity. I've said I rate most of our midfielders and strikers, didn't I?

If youre happy watching NUFC settling for mediocre players then thats your choice. Personally, Im fed of the club making us put up with players that are not good enough to wear the shirt of a club like Newcastle.

Get to fuck. I won't complain when we have a manager and team worthy even of someone like you, never mimd the rest of us.

You rate most of our midfielders and strikers? Then you're an idiot, well done.

Maybe we SHOULD all be all positive - yes, lets do that.

Sundays game was brilliant. We played really well, Bramble didn't show any signs of being an untrustworthy clutz against slightly better opposition than the UEFA game, the midfield was outstanding, and Roeder showed his tactical genius. We were really, really unlucky to lose, and Sibierski was cruelly and painfully scythed down for the penalty. All we have to do is repeat this level of perfomance, and continue to rely on players who aren't good enough, as well as utilising Roeders phenomenal team selection, tactical and motivational skills, and we will sweep everyone else in the league aside, as befits a massive, important, well-respected club.

Sundays game was brilliant. We played really well, Bramble didn't show any signs of being an untrustworthy clutz against slightly better opposition than the UEFA game, the midfield was outstanding, and Roeder showed his tactical genius. We were really, really unlucky to lose, and Sibierski was cruelly and painfully scythed down for the penalty. All we have to do is repeat this level of perfomance, and continue to rely on players who aren't good enough, as well as utilising Roeders phenomenal team selection, tactical and motivational skills, and we will sweep everyone else in the league aside, as befits a massive, important, well-respected club.

I like the irony of your post, Northern Monkey, in spite of the fact that you didn't really mean it. Your post is sarcastic and exaggerated, yes, but it's this settling for mediocrity that Roeder seems to have the nack of doing in recent times. Which contributes to our... well... mediocrity. One of his main weaknesses that, actually.

I like the irony of your post, Northern Monkey, in spite of the fact that you didn't really mean it. Your post is sarcastic and exaggerated, yes, but it's this settling for mediocrity that Roeder seems to have the nack of doing in recent times. Which contributes to our... well... mediocrity. One of his main weaknesses that, actually.

HIS main weakness is that he is not a good manager. OURS is that we accept him.

In seriousness (seeing as you saw through my almost-impenetrable cloak of sarcasm), we were shit on Sunday. Not shit like we were against the UEFA part-timers, when only our true Championship players shone, but achingly poor, without a clue, and well below the level required of the premiership. Which, ironically, is a microcosm for at least half of our "first team" and our manager.