Roeder Out

johnnypd

I think Van Gaal might fancy the challenge and we'd pay him a canny bit more than Alkmaar. Doubt he's even on Shepherd's radar though in any case.

someone said theyre paying him shitloads, can't see why the fuck he would want to come here

For the money and the challenge, possibly. Like I said though, I can't see it happening. I'm struggling to think of why anyone decent would want to come here tbh. I don't believe they've got more financial clout than us though.

....if we wait Rijkaard and Benitez will be out of jobs in the summer.

wrong.

Rijkaard will go back to national coach and Benny is going to Spain. Hiddink is coming to Chelsea and Moaney to Italy. ALL FACTS.  ;) :lol:

So how will they be out of jobs?

Now you're being pedantic. :lol:

....Rijkaard might be swayed Dutch national team runs itself.

National side vs average-sized mid table English side?

Ooh, tough choice.

And not pedantic at all - neither of them, by your won admission, will be out of a job.

I think Van Gaal might fancy the challenge and we'd pay him a canny bit more than Alkmaar. Doubt he's even on Shepherd's radar though in any case.

someone said theyre paying him shitloads, can't see why the fuck he would want to come here

For the money and the challenge, possibly. Like I said though, I can't see it happening. I'm struggling to think of why anyone decent would want to come here tbh. I don't believe they've got more financial clout than us though.

....if we wait Rijkaard and Benitez will be out of jobs in the summer.

wrong.

Rijkaard will go back to national coach and Benny is going to Spain. Hiddink is coming to Chelsea and Moaney to Italy. ALL FACTS.  ;) :lol:

So how will they be out of jobs?

Now you're being pedantic. :lol:

....Rijkaard might be swayed Dutch national team runs itself.

National side vs average-sized mid table English side?

Ooh, tough choice.

And not pedantic at all - neither of them, by your won admission, will be out of a job.

He's already been Dutch coach. ;)

There is absolutley no statistical evidence that changing a manager changes the results long term

The real correlation is between £££££££££ spent and points gained

Utter tosh. Newcastle has consistantly spent shedloads. The manager clearly fucking matters or Souness would have walked it considering the outlay last season.

There is absolutley no statistical evidence that changing a manager changes the results long term

As a general rule perhaps. The most important factor is having the right man with the right backing in terms of success though. I wouldn't advocate sacking Roeder now btw, it would do more harm than good imo.

If we dont have the right man to replace him yes but if we find some top class manager then Roeder should go asap

I'm guessing we don't have the right man to replace him lined up.

the fat pig has plenty of time during the summer break

How old are you?

What would make complete sense is for FFS to fire Roeder after the last game of the season irrespective of where we finish in the league. That way we could have a new man in by the time pre season training starts so he can mould the team to his style etc. We have never appointed a manager during pre season in recent times, instead they are allowed to start several games into the season with no transfer window to fall back on, then expect them to get the best out of players they don't neccesarily rate and write the season off as a transitional phase. We have fallen too far behind the top 4 already we can't afford to keep faith with a manager who quite simply isn't good enough to take the team where we aspire to be. Shepherd then needs to take advice from Bobby Robson about who he thinks is good enough to manage this club. He may have fired Robson but they are still clearly in touch as Robson is often seen on TV at NUFC games next to Shepherd. And I really think Shepherd could do no worse than ask the guy's advice. After all he did see the potential in Mourinho as a coach

As a general rule perhaps. The most important factor is having the right man with the right backing in terms of success though. I wouldn't advocate sacking Roeder now btw, it would do more harm than good imo.

If we dont have the right man to replace him yes but if we find some top class manager then Roeder should go asap

How old are you?

Whats your point?

Guest Invicta_Toon

How old are you?

Whats your point?

seriously?

jesus

How old are you?

Whats your point?

It's obvious.

We should do what we didn't last year. It's pretty clear we're going to end up safe this year and we've probably done alright on the money side of things, so in the summer say thanks to Roeder for that and bring in a proper manager.

exactly.

or even shuffle him into the background, roy evans style.

in actual fact, it would be houllier i brought in as well.

maybe even roeder dof

How old are you?

Whats your point?

[/quotE]

It's obvious.

Not to me

This thread deteriorated rapidly.

Roeder isn't going anywhere. Shearer will be the next manager but not until next season.

Also I note in the early pages many of the Souness supporting hold-outs are on board the "Roeder out" bad wagon early - I can only hypothesise that the abuse they took last time has either taught them a lesson or has taken away some of their courage.

Roeder isn't going anywhere. Shearer will be the next manager but not until next season.

Also I note in the early pages many of the Souness supporting hold-outs are on board the "Roeder out" bad wagon early - I can only hypothesise that the abuse they took last time has either taught them a lesson or has taken away some of their courage.

Maybe it's a case of once bitten, not in my case though. :cheesy:

No - definately not you, but many of the Souness supporters have no credibility on this subject. Despite yesterday's loss Roeder is still a better manager for us than Souness - yesterday's defeat did not change this.

No - definately not you, but many of the Souness supporters have no credibility on this subject. Despite yesterday's loss Roeder is still a better manager for us than Souness - yesterday's defeat did not change this.

He is better than Souness but still not good enough

Thats why he must go in the summer

Roeder and Souness are both shite, I'd rather not chose which shite is better than the other. :D

Guest geordieracer
Newcastle can chalk off another year without a trophy after their wretched, spineless Uefa Cup exit against AZ Alkmaar.

Glenn Roeder's desperately negative and naive game-plan was a cast-iron guarantee that it would be 38 years and counting since the distant black and white memories of the Inter Cities Fairs Cup win against Újpest Dózsa.

Newcastle supporters have not been short on suffering, and the alarm bells signalling another inevitable disappointment must have been ringing when Roeder proclaimed before the game that a goalless draw would do his side nicely.

And once the game started, their worst fears were confirmed. Roeder, with a two-goal cushion, sent Newcastle to their demise.

Roeder is only too keen to paint himself as a shrewd, street-smart tactician when Newcastle win, but he should have known Alkmaar, under the vastly superior coaching of Louis van Gaal, do not do goalless draws.

So timid Newcastle sat back and almost accepted their fate like frightened men, hoping to scrape a goal or somehow hang on against a side that looked full of goals and attacking intent.

Roeder shifted some of the blame on to the referee and a lot of the blame on to his defenders.

Strangely enough, not too much of the blame appeared to land at his door.

Sorry Glenn, this one rotted from the top down and you must take your share as well.

True enough, Newcastle were without Michael Owen, as they have been for virtually 15 months, but does one serious injury have such a debilitating effect?

Roeder talks of bringing in defenders, but he has had plenty of time to do that and this is a classic case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

And why was James Milner, a positive influence and arguably Newcastle's best player this season, left on the bench when Roeder surely knew a goal would pile almost insurmoutable pressure on Alkmaar?

Even Emre was thrown into the fray before him, a move that was hardly a raging success.

What would a warrior like Alan Shearer have made of Newcastle's pathetic approach in Holland, seemingly stripped of positive intent and cowering their way out of the cup?

Newcastle play in a big city with big support, but the question remains about whether they are a big club.

They have certainly acted like a big club.

And chairman Freddy Shepherd - for all the criticism - could never be accused of not thinking big in the transfer marker.

The big signings have arrived on a regular basis, namely superstar captures like Shearer and Owen, but trophies have the same effect on Newcastle as kryptonite did on Superman.

Newcastle will only be a truly big club when they have a recent history to speak of and trophies to parade.

Big clubs win silverware on a much more regular basis than Newcastle.

Not every year maybe, but they tend to trouble the trophy room cleaners rather more than once every 40 years.

The fans will continue to turn up, as they invariably do.

But they can no longer rely on boasting about a history no-one can actually remember, the amount of supporters who turn out to greet new signings, or the year they threw the Premiership away because Kevin Keegan started pointing and shouting live on telly.

Newcastle United is currently a middle of the road club that has not won a trophy for 38 years. These are the facts.

And now questions will be asked about whether Roeder is the man who can actually ends this period in the wilderness.

On the evidence of what was little more than a surrender against Alkmaar, that is a question that needs to be pondered very seriously.

that was off the bbc 606 site

harsh but true tbh

it was obvious he wasn't the man to bring success from the start

Just listened to that interview:

Glenn, "I've got to get defenders". mackems.gif :cheesy:

Yep, so you wait until 10 minutes before the end of the August transfer window to sign Lucas Neill, run out of time, then not follow up the bid in January. Rightio Glenn.

What you mean Rob?

Firing Roeder won't change owt is what I mean

That's quite clearly cobblers.  If Alkmaar ditched Van Gaal and just provided the next bloke with similar funds, you think they'd perform the same.  Ditto Chelsea, Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal.  The quality of the manager is paramount in all of these clubs' successes.

Arsenal, ManU and Liverpool were all sucessful before their current managers

And Chelski prove my point - ££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££  = winners

How do you explain Ranieri?  £££££££££ = f*** all, there.

And Porto...a UEFA Cup & Champions League win in successive seasons on a shoestring compared to other clubs in those tournaments.

i really can't imagine Roeder would ever improve from what he is, a very average manager who will never oversee a campaign to break into the top 6 let alone top 4 of the premiership. he strikes me as a guy happy enough to avoid relegation battles each season. we should get rid, and the earlier the better. FFS should start his hunt for the replacement asap, so that the new man can be in place by the summer and start laying out his plans on what the team needs.

Guest magpies_rawk

i really can't imagine Roeder would ever improve from what he is, a very average manager who will never oversee a campaign to break into the top 6 let alone top 4 of the premiership. he strikes me as a guy happy enough to avoid relegation battles each season. we should get rid, and the earlier the better. FFS should start his hunt for the replacement asap, so that the new man can be in place by the summer and start laying out his plans on what the team needs.

Ditto! One of my main grips with him is his huge lack of ambition. He really is happy enough with this season's results. Something i cannot accept.