Rona.... KAKA - best player I've ever seen tbh

Guest Knightrider

to be honest, how HTT can rank Shearer alongside THE Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and Zidane is beyond me

THE Ronaldo 10 years ago was better than CRonaldo now

Shearer in his prime was for me the best all-round centre-forward on the planet so therefore is one of the best players I've ever seen. Yes he lacked Ronaldo's skill and pace but Ronaldo lacked his strength, heading ability and general leading of the line. People underestimate just how good Shearer was. Me, if I could choose between a Shearer or a Ronaldo in their pomp, I'd go for Shearer, more of a team player, braver and lead the line far better, would get you a goal from his head, right, left, set-piece or off his arse. Ronaldo, if he wasn't scoring or getting at teams, was pretty ineffective. Just my opinions though.

I don't think he was the best striker on the planet, even in his pomp, in fairness.

Agreed - I saw Van Basten in the '88 Euro finals - now that was the complete striker!

Zidane isn't even the best French player in his position in the last 25 years or so. Factini!

It's hard to pick a winner between Zidane and Platini, didn't see much of Platini but Zidane is streets ahead of anything I have seen ever since I have been watching football (not really old enough to appreciate Maradona)

I'd put Platini ahead, just. Although Maradona was better than both without a doubt. Unbelievably good at times.

Guest Knightrider

OMG MY BEST PLAYA IVE EVA SEEN IS BETTA THAN YOUR BEST PLAYA YOUVE EVA SEEN!!11 :razz:

Chill out ladies.  The lad is absolute class.  If not the best player I've ever seen then I would think it's fair to say that he's probably the best player I've had the most opportunity to appreciate, what with the constant football on TV these days, and the fact that he plays in our league.

This. That's basically what I tried to convey. Thanks.

BTW I love how defensive 2J gets over his list of greats, yet some of the players he bleats on about, he's never even seen in the flesh :lol:

Ronaldo the striker was awesome, but far superior to this Ronaldo? Get away man!

It's got fuck all to do with that it's just the lunacy of the way you say he's the best player you've ever seen which is total shite. Anyone who saw the Ronaldo who graced us all at Barca and Inter knows that he is far superior to Cristiano which is not a disservice to him but the fact that Ronaldo at 21 was simply that good.

Fuck off man, you arrogant twat. :lol: He is the best player I've seen, that is my opinion OK. BTW I saw Ronaldo at Barca and Inter and to say he is far superior to Christiano Ronaldo is talking shite, he was great, but so too is this Ronaldo. And of course, they are two different types of player and no-one, least of all me, has claimed this one to be the best player or the greatest, he's just the best player to watch that I've had the good fortune of seeing with my own two eyes.

BTW most of your Ronaldo moments have come via Youtube and highlights, so it is quite easy to look back and say well he was some player at the time, but this Ronaldo, I'm seeing close up every week, that wasn't the case with the Brazilian, I only saw him at Barca via highlights and the odd live match, just like yourself.

Guest Knightrider

to be honest, how HTT can rank Shearer alongside THE Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and Zidane is beyond me

Shearer in his prime was for me the best all-round centre-forward on the planet so therefore is one of the best players I've ever seen. Yes he lacked Ronaldo's skill and pace but Ronaldo lacked his strength, heading ability and general leading of the line. People underestimate just how good Shearer was. Me, if I could choose between a Shearer or a Ronaldo in their pomp, I'd go for Shearer, more of a team player, braver and lead the line far better, would get you a goal from his head, right, left, set-piece or off his arse. Ronaldo, if he wasn't scoring or getting at teams, was pretty ineffective. Just my opinions though.

I don't think he was the best striker on the planet, even in his pomp, in fairness.

Agreed - I saw Van Basten in the '88 Euro finals - now that was the complete striker!

I never saw Van Basten.

I find that a lot of people don't like to compare current players to ones in the past. You'll always get people defensive over their favourites in the past, like 'he's not as good as Ronaldo', 'not as good as Shearer', 'he's no Platini' etc.

People don't like their favourites to be outdone. Can someone explain to me about C.Ronaldo that makes him far less superior to the Brazilian? We're hardly comparing him with Ameobi here.

Guest Knightrider

You're also forget his on pitch intelligence, vision and range of passing is far superior.

I don't think that Ronaldo's intelligence and vision are any worse than Ronaldinho. But I would say Ronaldinho's ball control is more superior than Ronaldo. The latter hardly scores from free kick, hardly strikes with outside foot. One needs supreme ball control to do both and Ronaldo just lacks this final bit to make him a complete ball player. That said, if he lacks intelligence and vision he won't have scored and provided so many assists even though he is not as skillful as Ronaldinho.

I've never seen Ronaldo do any of the kind of intricate through balls and cross field passing that Ronaldinho does.

I've never seen Ronaldinho run from his own penalty box to the opponent's and send in an inch perfect cross for a player to score. Means nowt. Creativity and vision isn't all about playing through balls or defence splitting passes, it comes in all kinds of form, such as dribbling, attacking and beating a man, even running off the ball to create space which Ronaldo does as good as any, which is quite something given he's a winger. Ronaldinho is no more or no less as creative as Ronaldo.

Guest Gemmill

OMG MY BEST PLAYA IVE EVA SEEN IS BETTA THAN YOUR BEST PLAYA YOUVE EVA SEEN!!11 :razz:

Chill out ladies.  The lad is absolute class.  If not the best player I've ever seen then I would think it's fair to say that he's probably the best player I've had the most opportunity to appreciate, what with the constant football on TV these days, and the fact that he plays in our league.

BTW I love how defensive 2J gets over his list of greats, yet some of the players he bleats on about, he's never even seen in the flesh :lol:

Ronaldo the striker was awesome, but far superior to this Ronaldo? Get away man!

It's got fuck all to do with that it's just the lunacy of the way you say he's the best player you've ever seen which is total shite. Anyone who saw the Ronaldo who graced us all at Barca and Inter knows that he is far superior to Cristiano which is not a disservice to him but the fact that Ronaldo at 21 was simply that good.

Fuck off man, you arrogant twat. :lol:

Report to Moderator, Jonny!  Do it!

when both Ronaldo and Shearer were in their prime (96 i reckon for Shearer) I think Ronaldo was clearly the strongest of the two

when Shearer lost his pace and started hitting the gym his strength may have been a match for Ronaldo's, but i doubt it.  In fact doesn't Robson's book refer to Ronaldo looking, as being as strong 'as a boxer'

Guest Knightrider

when both Ronaldo and Shearer were in their prime (96 i reckon for Shearer) I think Ronaldo was clearly the strongest of the two

when Shearer lost his pace and started hitting the gym his strength may have been a match for Ronaldo's, but i doubt it.  In fact doesn't Robson's book refer to Ronaldo looking, as being as strong 'as a boxer'

SBR made Ronaldo sit down and watch videos of Shearer leading the line, heading etc. so even he knew who was the better all-round striker, as for strength, I think Shearer was stronger myself, Ronaldo was the stronger runner but Shearer often held two markers in his pomp with ease. In Euro 96 there is a moment when Nadal and another Spanish player try to bully Shearer off the ball, but Shearer with his back to them helf firm before turning them and pulling it back for Sheringham I think, and the look on the Spanish players faces was one of "fucking hell".

They showed physical strength in different ways so it's pointless arguing.

Good point. Both very strong but very different types of centre-forward.

SBR made Ronaldo sit down and watch videos of Shearer leading the line, heading etc. so even he knew who was the better all-round striker, as for strength, I think Shearer was stronger myself, Ronaldo was the stronger runner but Shearer often held two markers in his pomp with ease. In Euro 96 there is a moment when Nadal and another Spanish player try to bully Shearer off the ball, but Shearer with his back to them helf firm before turning them and pulling it back for Sheringham I think, and the look on the Spanish players faces was one of "f****** hell".

let's not forget that Ronaldo was probably 20ish then whilst Shearer was  27. Robson strongly suggests in his book that Ronaldo was the world's best player at that time anyway as it happens

if Ronaldo's intelligence for the game had coincided with his fantastic physical attributes in his early 20's this thread wouldn't exist.

or maybe it did, WC 2002, 8 goals.....

Fuck off man, you arrogant twat. :lol: He is the best player I've seen, that is my opinion OK. BTW I saw Ronaldo at Barca and Inter and to say he is far superior to Christiano Ronaldo is talking shite, he was great, but so too is this Ronaldo. And of course, they are two different types of player and no-one, least of all me, has claimed this one to be the best player or the greatest, he's just the best player to watch that I've had the good fortune of seeing with my own two eyes.

BTW most of your Ronaldo moments have come via Youtube and highlights, so it is quite easy to look back and say well he was some player at the time, but this Ronaldo, I'm seeing close up every week, that wasn't the case with the Brazilian, I only saw him at Barca via highlights and the odd live match, just like yourself.

Watching him week in week out then on Sky when he was at Barca and on Channel 4 at Inter don't count then do they not?

Shearer was better than Ronaldo, Maradona and Pele put together :)

Shearer was Ronaldo, Maradona and Pele put together :lol:

Shearer was better than Ronaldo, Maradona and Pele put together :)

Shearer was Ronaldo, Maradona and Pele put together :lol:

Now hey Alex mate he was before that injury in '97, get it right man. ;)

Guest Phil K

Certainly a class act.

And the manager who keeps picking up those like him is also a class act.

The complete opposite of our last 2 managers (Roeder slightly better than Souness, although thats hardly saying much)

And SBR hit and miss, as was Keegan.

Fergie just never seems to fail.

Certainly a class act.

The complete opposite of our last 2 managers (Roeder slightly better than Souness, although thats hardly saying much)

Veron?

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Ronaldo has replaced Ronaldinho as the most enjoyable player in the world to watch for me.

I prefer wawtching Kaka to C Ron, he is more graceful imo. Having said that I prefer watching Messi to Ronaldinho too!

Certainly a class act.

Veron?

Taibi?

Certainly a class act.

Veron?

Taibi?

Forlan?

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Certainly a class act.

Veron?

Taibi?

Forlan?

Giuseppi Rossi