Do you feel safe at football matches?

Slim

I know a few people who do not like the way they let both sets of fans out of the grounds now at the same time, it could create problems but I have fine at the match and coming out with visiting fans.

Been a few twats like Boro and Pool fans but other than that nothing to worry about.

nearly shit myself when the jacket i was wearing got slashed down the back in bradford.

most worrying was being at the front of the jocks in the scotland-england game at hampden in1985,scary bus journey through glasgow,and very nearly got the shit kicked out of us on returning to the coach....the cockiness of youth brazened it out...the older me would have tried to run for it.

to be honest havent felt scared at a football match and i dont see how anyone could. one season me and my mate sat with the boro fans when we got rejected for tickets in the away enclosure at riverside. even then i felt ok, but obviously was aware that if i celebrated any nufc goals, or made myself known as a nufc fan, i would indeed be kicked to fuck, and my mate would have ran and left me. but scared? no.

How could anyone be really scared at a football match (young children excepted like)?

I've never been scared at any match I've been to home or away, and have yet to really find a reason why anybody would really be scared.  Even at derby games (home and away) I've yet to feel scared despite being on bricked buses by pissed up lads.  Football is a family entertainment more than it ever has been in my opinion and that 47% of people are scared at matches is quite astonishing especially when you consider the security in the ground these days, to help protect familes and innocent supporters.

You can't really be scared of trouble at matches either, as in my experience you find trouble at football matches, trouble doesn't find you. 

• 5 years later...

October 30 - Aston Villa have become the first English Premier League club to publicly back a supporters' campaign to bring back safe standing areas on a limited and experimental basis – but look certain to encounter strong opposition.

Standing at matches in the top two divisions of English football has been banned since 1989 following the Hillsborough stadium disaster but Germany has long employed standing areas successfully and campaigners believe doing the same in England would enhance the atmosphere as well as bring ticket prices down.

"We have had a number of good discussions and meetings with the Football Supporters' Federation (FSF) over the past 12 months and fully support their campaign to allow small-scale trials of safe standing areas at grounds," Paul Faulkner, Aston Villa's chief executive, said.

"Whenever we have discussed the topic with our fans we've found almost unanimous support for such a trial, and the concept of giving fans the choice to decide to either sit or stand at a game.

"We believe Villa Park could be a potential venue for such a trial, and would like the opportunity to progress the plans further with the wider support of the football community in this country."

Peter Daykin, safe standing coordinator at the FSF, made the point that fans often still stand up at games anyway even though it is officially banned, and that the time had come for supporters to be allowed to choose.

"Standing was outlawed on grounds of safety, and yet successive Governments have agreed that standing is safe – it's hard not to when it is done perfectly safely every week at rugby grounds, lower league football grounds and in top football leagues all around the world," he said.

The Premier League is certain to oppose the campaign, arguing that all-seater grounds had significant benefits.

"Since the introduction of all-seater stadia the supporter experience has improved significantly and we have seen more diverse crowds attending Premier League matches including more women and children," a spokesman said.

"The police, safety officers and licensing authorities remain clear on this issue and have consistently informed us that crowd management has improved as a result of all-seater stadia being in place in the top two divisions in this country.

"We will not be encouraging the Government to change the law."

Guest firetotheworks

Tickets might be cheaper, but potential attendances would increase, wouldn't they? I'd love it to come back.

Potentially, but you've got the cost of redeveloping the grounds and it doesn't benefit the more financially attractive family and corporate markets which are most clubs focus these days not your average match going fan who buys nowt but their match ticket.

WW3 would break out then. Football is such a world wide innocent thing

Would a jumbo jet landing in the Kop at Anfield be bigger worldwide than the Twin Towers?

Liverpool fans would make remote controlled toy aeroplane being flown into the Kop a bigger worldwide event than 9/11.

Mostly have an anxious feeling if going to away matches when entering and leaving periphery of ground, Liverpool and/or Leeds were always the worst back in the day...

Used to properly crap myself when I worked as a steward at Bradford FC for a couple of months, stand in a line between home and away fans and try to keep the peace (gulp).

I have once been "scared" to say something but properly annoyed about it at SJF, two very big ugly tattoed "knackas" marched to the fornt of the food queue at half time and ordered their food without anyone saying a word. Looked like they'd both come out of prison the day before. I was with my two kids and one of them was moaning about them, quietly covered his mouth...

I have always felt uneasy at England matches, seem to attract only scum of the earth, don't know why...

I don't understand how every week up and down the country, away supporters stand in there thousands for 90 minutes and there's never any problem with it. You get sections of home supporters doing it too. What can go wrong if its not over full? :lol: What also is laughable is the fact that everyone stands when the teams come out, people stand for the whole of half time too! Surely that's a travesty waiting to happen as well?

As Disco said, it's all about the £. Not a chance its going to happen.

Can't say I feel very safe. I have a disability that makes me a bit unsteady on my feet. It's not so bad that I need a special seat or anything, but it can be hard to keep my balance in a jostly crowd, and it's tough going up and (especially) down steep flights of stairs without any rail to steady myself. So I'm a bit nervous in a crowded stadium.

As a nipper, I was in the centre paddock at the Fairs Cup Semi-Final when the Rangers fans invaded the pitch to try to get the game called off and the whole of St James' nearly turned into one huge riot. I remember finding it quite exciting but my dad was scared shitless, and never took us to a match ever again. (No commitment. He was a Liverpool supporter.)

The benefits for safe standing vastly outweigh any (theoretical) negatives. There's no real case against it other than the stigma of backing the re-introduction of standing given what happened at Hillsborough. For anyone that's not clued up I'd recommend searching for safe standing football on Youtube, there's a couple of videos that explain the situation.