Bundesliga (und Fußball) - 2017/18

samag

Hello German people,

Me and a few mates are wanting to go to a Borussia Dortmund game in March (roughly). It seems quite a difficult thing to do as they seem to always sell out. Any tips on how to go about it?

Alternatively, we are happy to go to any game in Germany. Bremen, Hamburg, Munich etc all look like fun trips (especially Munich, because I've been). Which has the best all round package? (prices, accomodation, atmosphere, beers etc)

Cheers!

You'll have problems getting any tickets for a Bayern Munich game - they are sell outs 99% of the time, so you have to check on their homepage early but - depending on how many people you are - it's unlikely to get great tickets, especially if the team they're playing against isn't the worst.

Have to be honest, never bought a Bundesliga ticket in my life so far. Always went there when I got the tickets from someone who's member or member of a fanclub or I went there because I could get one or two tickets from my company where I work at.

If you're really just looking for some fun around the game, you should go to St. Pauli (Hamburg). Strange, but good atmosphare and there's definitely fun guaranteed before and after the game - which you can't say about Munich for example, as the Allianz Arena is just too far away from Munich itself.

Having said that, Munich of course is a great city to visit. Very nice and friendly people, not too crowded, best beer in the world, best food and all that....

You shouldn't have too much trouble getting tickets at the other games btw. Hamburg, Bremen, Frankfurt - even Schalke and Dortmund should always allow you to get there with a few people.

• 4 weeks later...

Thinking of heading over to Germany for game in the new year.

I'm sure there's some on here that have been to matches over in Germany before.

Any recommendations of where would be best to go? St. Pauli is something I've heard great things about for a matchday experience.

Obviously Dortmund would be great but it always looks like tickets for their matches sell out really easily.

Any recommendations of where would be best to go? St. Pauli is something I've heard great things about for a matchday experience.

Obviously Dortmund would be great but it always looks like tickets for their matches sell out really easily.

St.Pauli would be a top choice, lovely little stadium, in a great neighbourhood of a brilliant city. It's got a real buzz to it, noisy, raucous but cheerful atmosphere. Their support is a bit "lefty" and they're usually protesting about something or another.

Loads of hotels to suit all budgets close to the ground and a pre and post match atmosphere not unlike Newcastle due to the number of pubs on the doorstep. It's also only a stones throw from the Reeperbahn or Schanzen viertel two of Hamburg's best nightlife areas.

Don't expect the tickets to be cheap though, it's a falacy. Despite being mid-table second division every game sells out and you could end up paying €50 or more.

You couldn't fail to have a good weekend over there if you decide to do it.

Guest palnese

Schalke - Freiburg is class. Two red cards in a minutes. Rosenthal (?) and Huntelaar both sent off. Freiburg is 3-1 up with ten minutes to go.

You should try Hamburg as well. Superb match day experience, brilliant stadium, some decent players as well as opposed to what you'll get from St Pauli.

And like Benwell said, Schanzen Viertel is a really great part of the city. Hamburg in general is a great place.

Normally the fixture list comes out the same time as ours.

Just about all you need to know in here  http://www.bundesliga.com/en/

.....and ha ha HSV to you AlanS......... :-)

PS.

Be careful to confirm actual kick off dates/times after the matchday programme has been released. If you think English football has sold out to TV it's nothing compared to the Bundesliga.

Despite many positives like fan culture, club ownership, beer on the terraces etc, they really have sold their soul to the TV companies.

Normally the fixture list comes out the same time as ours.

Just about all you need to know in here  http://www.bundesliga.com/en/

.....and ha ha HSV to you AlanS......... :-)

PS.

Be careful to confirm actual kick off dates/times after the matchday programme has been released. If you think English football has sold out to TV it's nothing compared to the Bundesliga.

Despite many positives like fan culture, club ownership, beer on the terraces etc, they really have sold their soul to the TV companies.

During my first attempt to see HSV a couple of years ago, me and my dad got to the stadium only to realise that the game had been moved to the following Monday. By then we'd already gone back to Sweden. Got my revenge a few months later though.

But yes I can only vouch for what Benwell says here, check the date every day up until matchday :lol:

I'd honestly like to move to Hamburg, loved it there and it has everything I like about a place. Got on really well with the people there despite speaking no German and that area in St.Pauli away from the Reeperbahn is totally class.

• 3 weeks later...

any opinion on Lewis Holtby?

English father but plays for Germany U-21's (English FA knew nowt about him)....doing well on loan at Mainz.

Heard he's got family from Newcastle and travels here now and again to visit...........might be worth a punt in the summer if our scouts know anything. Certainly looks a very good prospect.

Saw Mainz play in December.

Player who caught the eye was a Adam Szalai 22 year old 6'4" Hungarian centre forward - mobile and notched a couple but this is his first season in top league. Was interesting Liverpool but they went for someone else apparently.

Das Bild reporting that Arsenal and Dortmund now want him. Why don't Newcastle monitor this site - they could have had a two year head start.  ;)

I'd honestly like to move to Hamburg, loved it there and it has everything I like about a place. Got on really well with the people there despite speaking no German and that area in St.Pauli away from the Reeperbahn is totally class.

HH is nice, but a bit posh (it's the richest city in Germany)...When you live here you realise the locals think they're a bit special and so I often have to make jokes that this city isn't much bigger than a village. ;)

The only other club I have an affection for, the mighty Rothosen. :love:

Have never been but would love a trip to the Imtech to see them play.

German football looks class, atmosphere is always intense with some tidy football being played.

HH looks a great region too, definitely worth a trip.

HH is nice, but a bit posh (it's the richest city in Germany)...When you live here you realise the locals think they're a bit special and so I often have to make jokes that this city isn't much bigger than a village. ;)

I didn't find it posh at all Parky, probably wasn't there long enough though and we stayed mainly around the docks and also the arty bit up beyond the reeperbahn at St.Pauli. The people we did speak to I thought they had quite a working class kind of attitude which was cool. The people reminded me of Glaswegians which is quite strange I know but I got that kind of vibe off them.

I didn't find it posh at all Parky, probably wasn't there long enough though and we stayed mainly around the docks and also the arty bit up beyond the reeperbahn at St.Pauli. The people we did speak to I thought they had quite a working class kind of attitude which was cool. The people reminded me of Glaswegians which is quite strange I know but I got that kind of vibe off them.

It's certainly posh in neighbourhoods like Pöseldorf, Rothenbaum and outlying places like Blankenese and Poppenbüttel. In fact very posh.

There are rougher parts in the south and east of the city but the district you were in, which IMO is the best part of town, is more trendy lefty and "bohemian" nowadays than it was in it's tough working class past. St.Pauli embraces the working class, left traditions of the past and scorns upon anything posh, though in reality many of their fans are a lot more well heeled than they'd appear or admit to being on match days.

Belfast Mags - although I say it through gritted brown and white eyes. a day at the Imtech watching HIV would be a great day out too, and you're right it's a city which is well worth the trip.