The one and only 'Who should be captain?' thread

KaKa
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest nufcandy

nicky butt all day long, hes made me change my mind about him and i think he'll have done that with many others so na na na na na na na nicky nicky butt nicky butt nicky nicky butt

I'd personally go for Taylor, think it could be great for him and the age debate isnt that big a deal as people make out at plenty of clubs have young captains, think its the experience which is more important

And he's got loads of that to. Compared to say someone like Butt.

John Terry was made Chelsea captain at 21 was that wrong?

Wahey, Taylor and Terry. Awesome comparison.

Guest clarkyshan

steven taylor. anyone watching a match at sjp can see his leadership quailty is head and shoulders above anyone else.

but i got the feeling barton has been promised it.

Guest Morph

Why the fuck should we give it to Taylor?  "Other clubs have young captains" isn't a fucking argument.  Other clubs play choons after goals are scored, so hey, lets try that.  Why not?  Other clubs do it.

Out of the players already here i'd say it's between Given, Taylor, and Solano. I'd wait to see who we bring in first though before coming to a decision.

How could Butt possibly not be a candidate.

Guest nufcandy

Out of the players already here i'd say it's between Given, Taylor, and Solano. I'd wait to see who we bring in first though before coming to a decision.

well said that man

Personally i don't see why he would be a candidate. He basically shares all the weaknesses that the other 3 have, he's too quiet like Given, he's too rash and prone to the odd mistake like Taylor, and his place in the team isn't assured like Solano. Not a good candidate IMO.

Guest nufcandy

Personally i don't see why he would be a candidate. He basically shares all the weaknesses that the other 3 have, he's too quiet like Given, he's too rash and prone to the odd mistake like Taylor, and his place in the team isn't assured like Solano. Not a good candidate IMO.

who would you have then?

Guest Peter.Sthlm

My first choice is either Butt or a new experienced CD coming in (who posses the right atributes). If that doesn't happend I think Barton could be an option.

Btw doesn't any one think Viduka is an option if Owen or Martins leaves? I would rather have him as captain then Given, Solano or Taylor if Owen or Martins would leave the club. I think Taylor is still too young, Given not beeing the right type of GK for beeing a captain (if he would have been more like Kahn I wouldn't mind him being the C) and Solano may only have one year left at the club and is not a guaranteed starter. Viduka on the other hand would be a regular first team player, has the experience, the winning mentality and seems to be a good team mate. He is probably not the best of captains out there but I think he should be put infront of the three players I just mentioned.

who would you have then?

Its a tough one: (In brackets who applies imo, although Barton is obviously hard to rate)

Of high ability, always 1st team choice and one of our better players. (Given, Taylor, Barton)

Respect of players & staff (Given, Butt, Solano)

Respect of fans (Given, Solano, possibly Butt & Taylor)

Vocal with players. (Barton, Taylor, Butt)

Vocal off the pitch with media and fans. (Given, Taylor, Butt)

Motivator. (Taylor, Butt & Barton)

Able to handle pressure. (Butt, Given, Solano, possibly Barton)

Ability to organize and think quickly. (Solano, Butt, possibly Barton)

Positioned in the field where he can see everything and communicate with everyone. (Barton, Butt, Taylor)

likely to still be here in 3 or more years (Given, Barton, Taylor)

Calmness and professional (Given, Solano, possibly Butt)

No one ticks all those for me, however Barton gets closest, he needs time to win over the fans and new team mates, if this was a year down the line he'd probably be perfect.

Guest nufcandy

i think butt is one of the better players in the squad, he was last season anyway and i think hes earnt the respect of fans lately.....he is the man

Guest Morph

Butt has gone from shit ginger manc to adopted geordie hero in the space of 12 months.  Give it to him.

I think Nicky Butt is too quiet to be a captain....by all accounts (both at Man Ure and here) he's the quietest member of the squad and I'd prefer somebody who is a shouter that will bollox the rest of the team if they're not pulling their weight

Guest clarkyshan

dyer, been here a long time, class player

i personally would hate to see this. no heart and frightened of a tackle is definately not qualitys of any captain.

It's interesting that Allardyce mentioned the possibility that the captain might be someone who's not yet at the club. It sounds like he's aware that there's no obvious candidate at the moment.

In the absence of any other choice, I'd go for Butt, but he's a bit quiet and may have difficulty holding down his place.