The one and only 'Who should be captain?' thread

KaKa
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest graemeh72

I see three other enlightened souls opted for Emre as well.  Well done sirs, well done.

enlightened isn't the word you're after

I voted Given - seems the logical choice to me. A captain is mainly symbolic imo, a real leader will lead whether or not they have the armband (see Gary Speed when Shearer was captain for evidence of this) - but we don't want to risk making a player difficult to drop as we did with Parker.

What if we made Butt captain and he had a shit season next year? You either have to persevere with him or admit that you didn't assess the squad properly - Roeder did the former and it did anything but help us last year. The bottom line is that Shay is going to play every game when fit, and has been here for a long time - no-one will begrudge him the captaincy. If a real leader on the pitch emerges maybe they can have it next season or the year after. For me, Given is the common-sense choice for the time being.

Guest samtoonarmy

I would choose Steven Taylor. He has proven that he is a leader of our back-line and I think he would make an excellent skipper for us. But the only problem is that he is a bit young and not very experianced but my second choice would be Nicky Butt.

I'd personally go for Taylor, think it could be great for him and the age debate isnt that big a deal as people make out at plenty of clubs have young captains, think its the experience which is more important

And he's got loads of that to. Compared to say someone like Butt.

John Terry was made Chelsea captain at 21 was that wrong?

Wahey, Taylor and Terry. Awesome comparison.

Terry at the age of 21 (which Taylor is) wasn't any better than Taylor is now to be fair.

In fact i'd say Terry was more arrogant, made more mistakes (on and off the field) at that age.

Didn't Terry nearly sign for Huddersfield when he was younger? I know what you-re getting at with the off the pitch thing - he was part of the Jody Morris crowd - but I don't remember him being owt special as a kid. Don't think he did owt until Raneiri and Desailly got their hands on him...

Aye mate but in the end they couldn't afford the fee. Terry wasn't even a regular 3 years ago if I'm not mistaken.

dumb ass, it says

"This is the Official Newcastle United Bebo©. If you are one of our many great fans then please add us to your friends list.

vistit our official website: www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk"

this particular page is linked to the official web site, as in setup by the official web site.

• 1 month later...
Guest Phil K

My vote's for newboy Claudio Capaca as he's been captaining Lyon for 5 years or so.

That said, French and Portuguese won't be much use with our players or refs !

Guest jamesmartinsmith

My vote's for newboy Claudio Capaca as he's been captaining Lyon for 5 years or so.

That said, French and Portuguese won't be much use with our players or refs !

Get ready for the onslaught.

Guest Phil K

this is only the 12th thread about this. just make a poll if u insist on doing this.

Ooooh sorreeeee !

Strangely, I didnt see any twelve threads. Is your other posting as crap as your maths ?

(Unless you're counting "Farewell Mr Dyer" and "Hassam Ghaly" as Captain threads....) :rolleyes:

Yes, but now we know most of the players we're going to be starting the seaon with, and sam did say before that he may still have to buy the player who will be his captain.

I'd go for making nobby club captain, though as he is a good example but not certain to start every game.

Still unsure who would captain the team on the pitch though.

Guest Phil K

Yes, but now we know most of the players we're going to be starting the seaon with, and sam did say before that he may still have to buy the player who will be his captain.

I'd go for making nobby club captain, though as he is a good example but not certain to start every game.

Still unsure who would captain the team on the pitch though.

Agreed - but for the first time in years, I'm actually interested as to who it will be !