The one and only 'Who should be captain?' thread

KaKa
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Maybe in 7 or 8 years. He's nowhere near the finished article yet. He needs to concentrate on improving his own game, never mind leading the other players on the pitch. Wait and see who we bring in in the summer before we talk about who should be captain.

Seriously not suggesting Speed coming back as a player are you?

I wolud imagine if he came back in Sam's backroom staff he would retain the player/coach role he currently has at Bolton.

He was made assistant manager there wasn't he? Not sure he'd drop that in a week and run.

Just player/coach according to the Bolton Official website.

i really hope that with the new manager there will be a new captain appointed, i'd personally give it to Given, simply cause he deserves it most for his service throughout the years. Butt isn't a bad shout, but i guess he can shout at team mates without the armband, cause one fairly good season is all he has, just like Parker had when he was choosen for captain, which proved to be a bad choice.

For me Nicky Butt already seems very vocal and in the long term I can't see him being here for more than 2 years. I'd rather have Taylor who could well be Captain for the next decade.

He's to young, A captain should be given to a player with expierence and is respected amoung the other players, Imagine Taylor trying to bollock a senior player on the pitch, They'd tell him to fuck off.

I wolud imagine if he came back in Sam's backroom staff he would retain the player/coach role he currently has at Bolton.

He was made assistant manager there wasn't he? Not sure he'd drop that in a week and run.

He's joint First team coach with Jimmy Phillips. Ricky Sbragia is assistant manager.

Just player/coach according to the Bolton Official website.

Ah right. 'First team coach' according to: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/bolton_wanderers/6610581.stm, same thing though.

In any case, i'm still not sure he'd just fuck them off like that to come here.

For me Nicky Butt already seems very vocal and in the long term I can't see him being here for more than 2 years. I'd rather have Taylor who could well be Captain for the next decade.

He's to young, A captain should be given to a player with expierence and is respected amoung the other players, Imagine Taylor trying to bollock a senior player on the pitch, They'd tell him to fuck off.

Load of bollocks about senior players needing to be Captain these days. Nolan, Reo-Coker, Davies, Richards and Downing are just a few of the players who have captained aged under 25.

Speed'll still be under contract as a player anyway surely, so we wouldn't be able to just get him here any more than we could just get Anelka?

If the player wants to leave it hard to stop them these days, No doubt we'll have to pay Compo but i think it will be worth it (As long as it aint to much)

He's to young, A captain should be given to a player with expierence and is respected amoung the other players, Imagine Taylor trying to bollock a senior player on the pitch, They'd tell him to f*** off.

Load of bollocks about senior players needing to be Captain these days. Nolan, Reo-Coker, Davies, Richards and Downing are just a few of the players who have captained aged under 25.

Yea but who said they are any good?

Fucking hell just thinking how many players have wore the armband for us in the last 5 years. Shearer, Speed, Solano, Dyer, Elliott, Carr, Given, Parker, Butt, Harper, Boumsong! Thats of the top of my head like.

Speed'll still be under contract as a player anyway surely, so we wouldn't be able to just get him here any more than we could just get Anelka?

I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to agree a fairly small fee with Bolton.

Speed has outperformed all midfielders/left backs at the club this season, so I for one would not be unhappy to see him involved in some playing capacity, although not as captain, merely forthe fact  that  he shouldn't be playing in every game.

I think it'd probably help Taylor a great deal, improve his communication with the team and give him a massive boost.

Not sure that's exactly what we need right now though, before an experienced head in someone like Butt as people have mentioned.

Why does everyone want Speed back here? He was a great player for us and a top pro, but i don't understand all this support for him to come back. I wouldn't really argue against it if he did come back but i'm not exactly desperate for him to come here. He isn't the player he was now (although he's still going well for Bolton). As a coach we don't know if he will be a good coach or not. Clarkie gets so much stick on here for being a coach because he's proven nowt, but neither has Speed. Speed has been a better player and pro than Clark but it still seems like double standards. Great players don't always make great managers/coaches as well all know. Not saying Speed isn't gonna be a good manager one day because i think he will be a good one.

Much prefer to see someone like Sol Campbell (not necessarily him, but someone of his ilk) brought in and made captain. A player who commands respect and can still play a bit.

I think it'd probably help Taylor a great deal, improve his communication with the team and give him a massive boost.

Not sure that's exactly what we need right now though, before an experienced head in someone like Butt as people have mentioned.

Im not sure it would tbh, He needs a quality expierenced defender next to him someone he can learn his trade off and forget about making sure the other players are doing there job.

Today thou the captain arm band is just a bargin chip to try and keep a player at the club so i fully expect Owen to be offered the captains arm band in an attempt to keep him

Im not sure it would tbh, He needs a quality expierenced defender next to him someone he can learn his trade off and forget about making sure the other players are doing there job.

Today thou the captain arm band is just a bargin chip to try and keep a player at the club so i fully expect Owen to be offered the captains arm band in an attempt to keep him

Oh i'm not suggesting he's not got a lot to learn, or that he doesn't need experienced pros around him. I just think it could make him as a player.

As I said though, i'd not give it to him as it's not particularly what we need right now - there are more pressing matters like straightening out squad discipline. That would be helped more by giving the armband to someone like Butt than Taylor.

Nitpicking but Downing's never captained Middlesbrough.

I'm hoping we can get someone better in than Butt tbh. He's been our of our players of the season like and he's won me over but i'd like to think we could get a centre midfielder or two in who actually produce and are at a decent age.

I'm hoping we can get someone better in than Butt tbh. He's been our of our players of the season like and he's won me over but i'd like to think we could get a centre midfielder or two in who actually produce and are at a decent age.

I still think Butt has a season or 2 left in him and with other areas needing strengthing i think we should keep Butt.