The one and only 'Who should be captain?' thread

KaKa
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm hoping we can get someone better in than Butt tbh. He's been our of our players of the season like and he's won me over but i'd like to think we could get a centre midfielder or two in who actually produce and are at a decent age.

I still think Butt has a season or 2 left in him and with other areas needing strengthing i think we should keep Butt.

I agree we have other priorities like. 4 defenders at the least for a start. We are DESPERATE for a midfielder who can score goals though imo. We are as desperate for one of them as we are defenders.

Aside from Given, none of our player really deserve to get the captins arm band

I would love to see Allardyce bringing Parker back as a DCM, so we can get to see the Tackle maniac play your heart out Scott Parker, not the "Gerrard of Newcastle"

Agreed about Parker as a DM. Him and Butt are more than capable in the defensive midfield role (not in the same team!). Tin hat on here but i would seriously consider letting Emre go. We need an attacking midfielder who can score goals and create things. Emre looks great on the eye when he's at his best but theres very little at the end of it.

to be honest, I wish we'd had Speed in our first Xl all season

Taylor has improved this season but he's still an idiot and at times a blatant liability, so no, hardly captain material

Guest Gav H

Butt captain for me.

He's the only one thats came out and talked about the unrest in the dressing room.

Guest NUFCnutter

Nicky Butt for me too. He shouts and bawls at the others, which is more than Scotty Parker does, and he is not afraid to stand up and be counted, unlike Parker who does a great impression of the Invisible man at times!

Guest Toon83

Aside from Given, none of our player really deserve to get the captins arm band

I would love to see Allardyce bringing Parker back as a DCM, so we can get to see the Tackle maniac play your heart out Scott Parker, not the "Gerrard of Newcastle"

agreed Scotty has been piss poor since Roeder tried to make him into Newcastle's Steven Gerrard, take him back to DMC and let him keep the arm band, buy and attackin mid (ala Joey Barton) and let him do the attacking work.

Nicky Butt is a good shout but how many years does he have left in him, i say leave Scotty as captain but only if he plays the DMC role

Guest Guinness

I agree with the people saying Nicky Butt for captain. His performances this season have shown he's still got plenty to offer as a player and of course has bags of experience. While I do believe Taylor should eventually captain the club, I think it's too soon right now. We need to allow him to develop as a player without placing unnecessary pressure on him.

Guest Gemmill

The captain shouldn't be a player who I believe see's their future out of Newcastle

Can you list the players you believe see their futures at Newcastle, so we know who we've got to choose from? :razz:

Guest justin99.

The captain shouldn't be a player who I believe see's their future out of Newcastle

Can you list the players you believe see their futures at Newcastle, so we know who we've got to choose from? :razz:

Got no idea. Anyones guess really.

I'll pose a question though,      how important do people feel the naming of club's captain is, in the current state of football?

Are captains expected to be the player that is looked upon for inspiration to change a matches result?

Thoughts please.

• 1 month later...
Guest Toon83

SAM Allardyce may be working around the clock to bring new faces to St.James' Park, but the United gaffer still has one key issue to sort out before next season - finding a new captian.

The 52-year-old said: "I haven't made my mind up yet.

"In fact, I believe good captains are becomming a rare breed now.

"Natural leaders both on and off the field are not easy to find.

"That's why finding someone to be our next captain over the next few weeks we will spend togtether will be a priority in my mind.

"And whether that will be someone who is already here or somebody I actually bring in to the club remains to be seen."

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1053452,00.html

who would be your captain for next season??

Guest Toon83

Michael Owen, perhaps?  Alan Shearer made a good captain, leading from the front, so why not Owen?

Not sure Michael Owen is going to be here next season, but i have added him to the list