The one and only 'Who should be captain?' thread

KaKa
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Havent read through this thread but I wouldnt like Butt to be our captain, I dont think he's good enough to be an automatic first choice. From that list I would go for either Taylor or Given. Taylor isn't really ready to be captain, and although I rate him he still makes silly mistakes and the added pressure could ruin him. Given is probably the obvious choice but I don't really like the idea of a GK being captain.

Best bet imo would be for Allardyce to bring a leader in, that way the new player will be regarded as a captain and role model first then a team mate as initially no one will know them personally.

Guest Kenton Magpie

Giving it to Barton would be a disgrace, he is clearly too immature and cant be trusted to lead by example when he cant control himself.

Butt for me!

Owen would have been the obvious choice if his heart was in the club, so the fact that he isn't even in the reckoning says a lot about the mercenary tw@t.

Barton is a shouter and driver in midfield which would place him as an ideal candidate for a Roy Keane captaincy role. Except stubbing a cigar out in someone's eye, mooning supporters, and dishing out GBH to your own team mates smacks of low brow thuggery not leadership. Stuart Pearce was quoted as saying City did the right thing by offloading Barton as he wouldn't be accepted back in the dressing room. Hardly a ringing endorsement for a potential captain is it?

Barton definitely. Good role model and has done a lot for the club.

^^ I love it.

I would choose Butt as well, except that I don't see him being a first team player for more than a year, if at all. I'd give it to Taylor, since he could be a captain for the long term. He clearly has character.

Guest Invicta_Toon

can't believe people think Taylor should be captain of a Premiership team

as for Barton :idiot2:

can't believe people think Taylor should be captain of a Premiership team

as for Barton :idiot2:

indeed

Taylor's been a liability in several games this season. But like Shearer before him, his bad games are either swept under the carpet or regarded as a 'everyone was shite' performance.

pathetic, he likes to think he's a tough guy, but come on, captain of a premiership team aiming for top 6???

Taylor's been a liability in several games this season. But like Shearer before him, his bad games are either swept under the carpet or regarded as a 'everyone was shite' performance.

Sure they are.

Given

Solano

Taylor

Milner

Barton

Emre

Owen

Viduka

given that's likely to be the 'spine' of our team next season, which is the player most likely to do something cringeworthy?

First off,  that list--the spine of our club*--is a big given. IMO.  But given the list, Taylor comes in at the top of the NUFCCW scale.

* I'd question the inclusion of Solano and Emre and the omission of Butt, Dyer, and Martins. A lot of assuming at this point. The only players that are certain are Given, Taylor, Barton, and Viduka. Milner is underappreciated and who knows if Owen will be around.

Given

Solano

Taylor

Milner

Barton

Emre

Owen

Viduka

given that's likely to be the 'spine' of our team next season, which is the player most likely to do something cringeworthy?

Emre.

Don't think we've got any stand-out candidates for team captain.

Given - not a fan of goalie captains, feels more of a honorary appointment than a tactical one.

Solano - nice guy but not sure if he's gonna be a regular

Butt - right credentials; experience and position, but is a virtual mute on the pitch

Any forward - no.

Taylor - too young.

Barton - if pushed to have to pick one of the present squad, i'd be tempted to give it to him, could be the making of the him or equally send him completely mental.

I'd say our next seasons regular team captain hasn't yet signed, and i'll wager a guinea on it being the expected experienced centre half.

Guest shearer_united

Solano captain if only he had the personality of a  leader.

Butt should be captain.

In the future, Steven Taylor should be. Would be happy to see him be in 3 years.

Owen should never ever be captain.

Thats what i think :)

Guest Magpiecn

I voted for Steven Taylor as he's the most viable one among the current squad. But I do have my misgivings as he is still too young and inexperienced.

Its obvious.

Given still the only candidate at present.

Guest Invicta_Toon

I voted for Steven Taylor as he's the most viable one among the current squad. But I do have my misgivings as he is still too young and inexperienced.

Its obvious.

Given still the only candidate at present.

it's a choce between the two mutes Given and Butt, and you should never make a keeper a captain unless he's such presence like Schmeichel

Steven Taylor has gotta be the next captain!  ;D maybe hes too young but still hes a top class player and will tell people what to do

Given cannot be as hes getting older and older and is getting injured too often

Butt could maybe be captain for 1 season then pass the band on

I'd personally go for Taylor, think it could be great for him and the age debate isnt that big a deal as people make out at plenty of clubs have young captains, think its the experience which is more important

And he's got loads of that to. Compared to say someone like Butt.

John Terry was made Chelsea captain at 21 was that wrong?

Wahey, Taylor and Terry. Awesome comparison.

Terry at the age of 21 (which Taylor is) wasn't any better than Taylor is now to be fair.

In fact i'd say Terry was more arrogant, made more mistakes (on and off the field) at that age.

I'd personally go for Taylor, think it could be great for him and the age debate isnt that big a deal as people make out at plenty of clubs have young captains, think its the experience which is more important

Terry at the age of 21 (which Taylor is) wasn't any better than Taylor is now to be fair.

In fact i'd say Terry was more arrogant, made more mistakes (on and off the field) at that age.

Didn't Terry nearly sign for Huddersfield when he was younger? I know what you-re getting at with the off the pitch thing - he was part of the Jody Morris crowd - but I don't remember him being owt special as a kid. Don't think he did owt until Raneiri and Desailly got their hands on him...

Didn't Terry nearly sign for Huddersfield when he was younger? I know what you-re getting at with the off the pitch thing - he was part of the Jody Morris crowd - but I don't remember him being owt special as a kid. Don't think he did owt until Raneiri and Desailly got their hands on him...

so what he needs is a disciplined manager and an experienced partner at the back............... hang on this could be going somewhere!!!

Giving Taylor the Armband would be even more foolish than it was giving it to Parker. Its the last thing he needs, not to mention the extra abusive amunition it gives to those polishing their specially bought weapons.

If Owen had even an ounce of interest in staying here I would consider him, but from what we have, its Butt, Solano or Given. Out of them Solano for me, whilst he might be the least disciplined he is the loudest on the pitch.

I still hope we will bring someone new in for that job, but we shall see.