The one and only 'Who should be captain?' thread

KaKa
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Parker's an embarrassment to the very word "captain" let alone the club.

Absolutely lacking in authority, leadership, ambition and determination.

I would give it to Taylor, like George Graham did when he took the captaincy off England's left back at the time & he then  gave it to a very young Tony Adams.  As for Given he has never spoke to his defence in 10 years, so not sure leadership is his gig

Guest thebigfella

give tha band to taylor get him ready 4 his future role as club capitain!!!!!

I think Taylor (whilst still having a LOT to learn) would benefit massively from the captaincy. It would help him move on to the next level imo. He talks to the other players, which is a fucking start.

We might as well have just given it to Shay. He has been here for ages and he is an inspirational player for us at least.

I know it's not ideal to have a goalkeeper as captain as outfield players are better but when you consider our other options ...

just cos he's been here years, he should be captain??

the fact that he has proven himself incapable of controlling and inspiring the back four, never mind the whole team, is a bit more relevant i think.

We might as well have just given it to Shay. He has been here for ages and he is an inspirational player for us at least.

I know it's not ideal to have a goalkeeper as captain as outfield players are better but when you consider our other options ...

the fact that he has proven himself incapable of controlling and inspiring the back four, never mind the whole team, is a bit more relevant i think.

Which goalkeeper can do that?

I doubt even Lev Yashin could have done this.

don't be silly, Schmeichal did it, Seaman did it, Tim Flowers did it, Kahn does it, Paglica, Buffon........

Guest triggy99

peter schmeichel. once again NUFC06 shows he doesnt have a clue about football

don't be silly, Schmeichal did it, Seaman did it, Tim Flowers did it, Kahn does it, Paglica, Buffon........

I was talking about who can inspire our back 4 at newcastle with the like of Ramage,Bramble,Carr,Babayaro

From the people which you mentioned i think only Schmeichal would have done it.

peter schmeichel. once again NUFC06 shows he doesnt have a clue about football

My personal opinion is Taylor should be made club captain. Firstly he is one of our better players and secondly he is a Geordie. Now before I get my tin hat out I use the Geordie reason as he is Geordie and seems to give 100% committment in every game, and for that reason the vast majority of fans will let him off when it comes to criticism and I think as has been shown with Parker this season the role and criticism that comes with it, if your name isn't Alan Shearer, is too big for anybody who isn't extremely popular within the club.

For me unless Speed returns it has to go to Taylor as no other player we currently have is able to perform to the level needed and can take the criticism.

Guest smoggeordie

Butt captain. Speed to return as a coach that is registered as a player "just in case".

Guest smoggeordie

Probably the worst post ever, and I haven't even read it, just judged by the title.

Fuck off glory supporter  ;)

Seriously not suggesting Speed coming back as a player are you?

I wolud imagine if he came back in Sam's backroom staff he would retain the player/coach role he currently has at Bolton.

Load of balls. People criticise Parker cos he's shit, not cos he isn't Alan Shearer. And Taylor never 'escapes all the criticism'... a belief many are infatuated with on here. The ones with braincells have a go at him when it's justified, just like any other player.

Seriously not suggesting Speed coming back as a player are you?

I wolud imagine if he came back in Sam's backroom staff he would retain the player/coach role he currently has at Bolton.

He was made assistant manager there wasn't he? Not sure he'd drop that in a week and run.

For me Nicky Butt already seems very vocal and in the long term I can't see him being here for more than 2 years. I'd rather have Taylor who could well be Captain for the next decade.