Sidwell joins Chelsea

stozo

He's gone there for the money - good luck to him. Think he'll regret it eventually like...

Do you think Chelsea are going to pay him more than the £40k-a-week we reportedly were?

Yes. And he may win a medal or 2 if there's an injury crisis. And he may not have to uproot his family 250 miles north.

Do you think Sidwell is stupid/believing his own hype enough to think he would displace Essien, Lampard, Ballack or Makelele. Thats not even mentioning the young talents of Mikel and Diarra.

I don't, if he goes there its for one reason only. To sit on the bench (thats if he is lucky) and count the £££.

Yes, i do. As you've already said, he's dropped down leagues before in order to find first team football, in reality would he now knowingly sacrifice his playing career for an extra £5-10k per week? I don't think so.

Yes. And he may win a medal or 2 if there's an injury crisis. And he may not have to uproot his family 250 miles north.

The latter certainly could have outweighed any doubts about the amount of first-team opportunities he'll receive, and you can't really blame him for that.

Don't know why people are that bothered by this? It wasn't like he was joining us for the privilege of wearing a black and white shirt.

He wanted big money, we offered it, he got offered more, he went elsewhere. So fuck.

Don't see too many people ready to throw themselves off the Tyne Bridge at him choosing Chelsea. Most of us are genuinely surprised that he turned down the chance of regular football to sit on the bench while his career passes him by. The team he rejected is fairly irrelevant - could have been Boro, Villa, Bolton etc and i think the reaction would have been the same tbh.

He's gone there for the money - good luck to him. Think he'll regret it eventually like...

Of course he's gone for the money. Football is a short career, he wouldn't have to move his wife and kids.

He's no different to 99% of other players IMO.

Why do you think Michael Owen is here? He wouldn't have came if he had to take a pay cut from Madrid would he? He'd have sat his ass on the bench until someone came in for him that would match/increase his dosh or leave on a free.

Why do you think he left Arsenal for Reading if money is all he cares about?

Because he would have been on peanuts at Arsenal. He would've got more money after a year or two at Reading.

He was probably only on a couple of grand a week at Arsenal. He was only a young kid, through their youth system iirc.

Why do you think he left Arsenal for Reading if money is all he cares about?

Thats what I don't get but I can't believe he is stupid enough to think he will get games at Chelsea.

In regards to riches point about football being a short career. That doesn't really apply these days! Most half decent footballers earn as much in a week as most people comfortably live on in a year!

The latter certainly could have out-weighed any doubts about the amount of first team opportunities he'll receive, and you can't really blame him for that.

He's looking after himself financially and getting as much as he can, while he can. He'll never get another chance to sign for Chelsea and he'll earn a shitload whether he plays or not. I've honestly not got a problem with him signing for Chelsea for the £££'s but sacrificing a year or 2 of a short career to sit on a bench is a gamble. He's obviously happy to take the chance. Let him get on with it.

Don't know why people are that bothered by this? It wasn't like he was joining us for the privilege of wearing a black and white shirt.

He wanted big money, we offered it, he got offered more, he went elsewhere. So fuck.

Don't see too many people ready to throw themselves off the Tyne Bridge at him choosing Chelsea. Most of us are genuinely surprised that he turned down the chance of regular football to sit on the bench while his career passes him by. The team he rejected is fairly irrelevant - could have been Boro, Villa, Bolton etc and i think the reaction would have been the same tbh.

Of course he's gone for the money. Football is a short career, he wouldn't have to move his wife and kids.

He's no different to 99% of other players IMO.

Why do you think Michael Owen is here? He wouldn't have came if he had to take a pay cut from Madrid would he? He'd have sat his ass on the bench until someone came in for him that would match/increase his dosh or leave on a free.

So we agree on this one then? I've said virtually the same things... :lol:

Also, don't you think he finds the thought of playing under Mourinho, alongside the likes of Terry and Shevchenko, and challenging for the Premiership, Champions League etc. enticing? From his point of view, the worst case scenario is that he doesn't even get close to the team all season and leaves to join a mid-table side, which is the current alternative, this time next year. I can't blame him for giving himself a chance of making it at a successful club and i'm suprised he's being so heavily criticised for doing so. I bet the relatively small difference in weekly wage comes quite far down his list of reasoning.

But he wont play under Mourinho or alongside Terry and Sheva. Its nailed on he will barely get a kick this season and then he will have wasted an entire year of (what has already been mentioned is short) his career.

Some players have gone to Chelsea and looked a shadow of themselves aswell. Its a big gamble. I don't think £10k a week or whatever it is can be classed as a "small difference" either. Thats an extra £520,000 a year!

But he wont play under Mourinho or alongside Terry and Sheva. Its nailed on he will barely get a kick this season

That's just conjecture. My point is, i don't think that's how he genuinely sees it.

then he will have wasted an entire year of (what has already been mentioned is short) his career.

Some players have gone to Chelsea and looked a shadow of themselves aswell. Its a big gamble.

There's a risk element attatched to everything. He could come here, break his leg in the first game of the season, and waste a year of his career. Going to Chelsea is actually a small gamble with potentially massive rewards.

I don't think £10k a week or whatever it is can be classed as a "small difference" either. Thats an extra £520,000 a year!

I did say relatively small. ;)

We'll see. I don't think he is good enough, by the way. :lol:

Me neither :lol: would definitely take him here.

I am mainly pissed off because as I said before my mate believes anything that is printed in the papers. He sent me a message to say "Sidwell has signed for Chelsea" when I asked him where he heard it and he said a paper I basically laughed at him, now it looks like its going to be true I am devastated and will get the whole "yeah you said the papers were wrong over Sidwell too".

Although its 1-1 to be fair when I told him there was no way Cannavaro was signing for Fulham :lol:

Guest Steven_MB

Mikel, Diarra, Essien, Makelele, Lampard, Ballack all fighting for 2 spots already. Good luck Sidwell :lol:

Makelele is probably going to drop down order, replaced by Diarra. Mikel and Essien are going away for 2 months for the african cup of nations, that's why they want him and he should know it!

Guest mishka17

chelsea? talents like wright-phillips or bridge etc. hardly getting to 1st team... about sidwell? with all due respect for him-he will play in cups against nottingam forrest or similiar clubs and in premiership against sunderland or other fulham..eventually

chelsea? talents like wright-phillips or bridge etc. hardly getting to 1st team... about sidwell? with all due respect for him-he will play in cups against nottingam forrest or similiar clubs and in premiership against sunderland or other fulham..eventually

thtas what we think,could he be confident enough in his ability to think it'sworth a shot.

Guest TheOrder

He's nowt special. Seriously. I'd rather have Barton without the baggage.

I'd fuck his wife silly, like.