Sidwell joins Chelsea

stozo

Really hope we sign him, the very mention of his name sends my mate into a rage after he crassly over celebrated Sidwell's two goals in the pub before realising at 90 minutes he'd transferred him out of his fantasy team the night before.

That and I rate the lad from what I've seen, definitely worth a shot on a free.

hopefully we won't sign sidwell.

just not good enough, and no better than the not good enough players we already have.

Maybe not good enough - depends what the immediate aim is. If it's top 4 then no. Top 6 - possibly. Don't forget that Reading are only 2 points away and he's been their best CM this season.

He's better than Parker though, and we could probably get a fair few £££ for Parker if we wanted - he is stil in the England squad afterall. If we got back what we paid for him and brought in Sidwell on a free and almost certainly less wages that would be an excellent piece of business imo.

There's really ony stupid NUFC fans who think that the likes of Dyer and Parker are real England players, though. Most teams wouldn't be swayed by that.

I'm not certain he IS better than Parker.

And i meant top 6/7 - there's no way we have anywhere near a squad for the top 4, and we're not particularly a big enough club to consider that at this point.

It's not just NUFC fans who think that Parker and Dyer are England players - it's England managers as well. I doubt very much we'd have got as much as we did for Jenas had he not been in the set up. Also, whether or not he is better than Parker is one that can be argued, but there's no way that Parkers enough better to be worth £6.5m more and (guessing, but approx) £20kpw more.

Also, for a top 6/7 club I think that Sidwell would be good enough: if we had him, Butt, Emre and addressed our need for a real creative CM that wouldd be good enough for that position in the league imo.

Its not looking good for us to get him, mind I suppose its down to how much he wnats first team football, Man U can;t offer him that surley? maybe Jose could if he does get shot of Ballack..

SIR ALEX FERGUSON has entered another battle with Jose Mourinho - over Reading midfielder Steve Sidwell.

Chelsea boss Mourinho met with 24-year-old Sidwell two weeks ago and offered him a £50,000-a-week deal.

But Manchester Uni ted manager Ferguson, who has just pipped Mourinho to the Premiership title, has also spoken to Sidwell and offered him terms for next season.

Sidwell, 24, is a free agent this summer after let ting his contract run out at Reading and has emerged as one of the most in-demand midfield players in the Premiership.

Newcastle thought they had won the race for Sidwell and even told him that manager Glenn Roeder would be in charge.

Everton boss David Moyes has also been keen but now faces defeat in his efforts.

Roeder's departure from St James' Park has had little effect on Sidwell.

But he has now stalled on Newcastle's offer after receiving such strong interest from the two biggest clubs in the Premiership.

It is an unlikely turnaround in fortune for Sidwell, who was released by Arsenal after failing to make a first-team breakthrough under Arsene Wenger.

But Sidwell's form this season has caught the eye of Ferguson and Mourinho, and he now finds himself at the centre of an unlikely transfer tug-of-war.

Chelsea are confident they will get their man, but United's intervention now makes it a straight fight between the two big guns.

Ferguson is able to match Chelsea's offer and also wants to strengthen his squad, even though he will sign England international midfielder Owen Hargreaves from Bayern Munich this summer.

Possibly some good news:

Skysports.com understands Steve Sidwell's future remains far from clear with a number of clubs showing an interest in landing him.

Newcastle had been leading the chase for the Reading midfielder, but with Glenn Roeder now departed, Sidwell is thought to be reconsidering whether to make the summer move to St James' Park.

That has allowed Chelsea, Aston Villa, Liverpool and Manchester United to all make fresh enquiries.

Sidwell is yet to announce whether he will definitely be leaving Reading - but it is widely expected he will depart the Madejski Stadium this summer.

Reports suggest that Chelsea could now very well be leading the chase for Sidwell, although is understood he will have a plethora of offers to consider.

Overrated.

Unless he wants to retire at 24 I doubt he will go to Chelsea! He is better than Darren Fletcher though.

But the money is too tempting.

£50,000 per week, 5 year deal plus a heft signing on fee (say £2m) since he's on a free = £15m = life of luxury considering he was a Championship player last season.

Aye but he chose to play in the championship to get games. I doubt he is the type who will go to Chelsea when he knows he will rarely play! I would say SWP has a lot less competition for places and look at him the last couple of years.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/chroniclesport/tm_headline=blues-bid-to-hijack-toon-sidwell-deal%26method=full%26objectid=19072639%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Blues bid to hijack Toon Sidwell deal

May 9 2007

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Everton are bidding to take advantage of the managerial upheaval at St James' Park - by stealing Reading midfielder Steve Sidwell from under the noses of Newcastle United.

Chelsea have already moved in for the former Arsenal midfielder, whose contract at the Madejski Stadium runs out at the end of the season.

My understanding is that Sidwell had already agreed to join United when Glenn Roeder was in charge, and the-then Newcastle boss planned to cash in by selling Emre to either Hertha Berlin or Bayern Munich.

However, with Roeder gone, Jose Mourinho has moved in - and so too has David Moyes at Goodison Park.

However, both United and Everton can offer Sidwell what Chelsea cannot guarantee - an automatic place in their midfields.

Moyes is already going where a lot of Premiership managers would not dream of going - and that is to Manchester City for their controversial midfielder Joey Barton.

Barton will cost Everton £5.5m, and Moyes knows if he can also pick up Sidwell for nothing then he will be a very happy Premiership manager.

It is to United's credit they are moving sooner rather than later in their quest for the new players who are desperately needed at St James' Park.

They will, though, be desperately disappointed if they lose out on Sidwell when they thought he was already in the bag.

Unless he wants to retire at 24 I doubt he will go to Chelsea! He is better than Darren Fletcher though.

£50,000 per week, 5 year deal plus a heft signing on fee (say £2m) since he's on a free = £15m = life of luxury considering he was a Championship player last season.

And you think he'd go to an average-sized club above a team offering him the potential for cups, Champions League, league titles??

Guest JamesD

considering he'd be behind lampard, essien, ballack, and obi-mikel in the midfield, yes.

considering he'd be behind lampard, essien, ballack, and obi-mikel in the midfield, yes.

Exactly, trying to have this debate at work but "Makele, Ballack and Lampard are leaving" apparently (some paper said). Sigh..

No one would ever pay £7m for a player of Steve Sidwell's capabilities.

I know a few lads who would:Ruud,Robson,Souey

Aye key and most important difference is Sir Bobby Robson would get 3rd, 4th, 5th after over spending that much on a player.  :coolsmiley:

Good luck with that. We are an avergae sized club with little current prospect of advancement.

If i was him, i'd sign for Chelsea.

and never get a game? So basically if you were a footballer you would probably be everything you hate about other footballers (money grabbing shite) ?

Good luck with that. We are an avergae sized club with little current prospect of advancement.

and never get a game? So basically if you were a footballer you would probably be everything you hate about other footballers (money grabbing shite) ?

If i was offered more money by a competitor to my current employer, to have to work less, but still have the chance to win awards, and get soem kudos, yes i would.

I have no problem with footballers taking the money, none at all. Its when we as fans pretend that they are heroes for doing so, and that they have some kind of solidarilty with us, that i get pissed off.

Who is to say that he couldn't play a part in some way for Chelsea? He's never going to replace Lampard or Essien, but Ballack may not always be there.

Either way, why would he come to a bottom half of the Prem club, as opposed to potential league and CL winners?

Guest teepee

he'll probably to chelsea - pick up 50k a week - not get a game - get sold to us for 4m next year - get paid 60k by us.

Says it all, when a player who has had ONE good season in the Premiership, and was previously unrated, is basically being offered £15m in his bank account!

If i was offered more money by a competitor to my current employer, to have to work less, but still have the chance to win awards, and get soem kudos, yes i would.

I have no problem with footballers taking the money, none at all. Its when we as fans pretend that they are heroes for doing so, and that they have some kind of solidarilty with us, that i get pissed off.

Who is to say that he couldn't play a part in some way for Chelsea? He's never going to replace Lampard or Essien, but Ballack may not always be there.

Either way, why would he come to a bottom half of the Prem club, as opposed to potential league and CL winners?

Im sure you have laid into Dyer plenty of times for earning £80k a week and not doing anything but fair enough.

Sidwell dropped down a division to get games, really can't see why he would go to Chelsea when there are at the moment about 4 players ahead of him. I would rather play 40 games for a team that might not win anything than a handful for a team that wins stuff that you havent ever really contributed to.

Im sure you have laid into Dyer plenty of times for earning £80k a week and not doing anything but fair enough.

Sidwell dropped down a division to get games, really can't see why he would go to Chelsea when there are at the moment about 4 players ahead of him. I would rather play 40 games for a team that might not win anything than a handful for a team that wins stuff that you havent ever really contributed to.

I had a pop at Dyer for being a cunt, being very average but getting superstar wages, and having fuck all end product.

As a fan of NUFC, i don't LIKE the idea of having average players like Dyer and Sidwell on great money but contributing little. If our competitors want to do that, fair enough, thats their call, cos THATS not my money.

Says it all, when a player who has had ONE good season in the Premiership, and was previously unrated, is basically being offered £15m in his bank account!

Which is my point.

He could of broken his leg last year in the Championship, missed this season and be on crap wages or career over completely.

If he goes to Chelsea he gets £15m without a question in 5 seasons if he see's out that whole deal, no doubt Chelsea will move him on or loan him out when they realise he isn't good enough for them, but he's still getting the cash that he signed for.

If i were him i'd take the money and count myself as retired as or 24 years of age.

Some people want to play football as well as make money, its not like Sidwell has a choice of either £15m at Chelsea or minimum wage elsewhere is it? Reports suggest we would offer £40,000 week, not exactly going to struggle on that is he?

Some people want to play football as well as make money, its not like Sidwell has a choice of either £15m at Chelsea or minimum wage elsewhere is it? Reports suggest we would offer £40,000 week, not exactly going to struggle on that is he?

Is he worth that? I doubt it, personally, although i'll accept he is if anyone has seen him play over a long period of time.