Allardyce supposedly as good as appointed - Happy or Disappointed?

Karjala
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Don't get too cocky..... He hasn't joined yet.

This is probably why Newcastle don't win anything. You get too cocky.

Until he joins he hasn't joined.

Until you have qualified for Europe you haven't qualified.

Until you lift the FA Cup you haven't won it.

And so on and so on!

Don't take things for granted else it won't happen!

What a smug arsed post and waste of internet space.

Guest LucaAltieri

Gutted. He wasn't good enough for us last time, he's not good enough now. We got played by Sam and Freddy big time. They've had this planned a while. We haven't even got the excuse that there are no better options available. I just really hope this doesn't backfire... again.

Gutted. He wasn't good enough for us last time, he's not good enough now. We got played by Sam and Freddy big time. They've had this planned a while. We haven't even got the excuse that there are no better options available. I just really hope this doesn't backfire... again.

we shouldnt always assume that if someone comes to us for an interview that they should automatically drop everything and come and join us.

there could have been various reasons why he didnt join us back then.

I agreed 100% though - I hope it doesnt backfire as well.

Reasonably happy, I feel optimistic about this one, unlike the last two, which just had me hoping the departure would come sooner rather than later from day one.

I don't like Allardyce as a person, I'll say that, but his fitness coaching is outstanding, he gets the best out of average players,  he's excellent at working within a budget, his sides are well drilled, organised, know what they're supposed to be doing all the time, excel against the top sides, very strong at home. He is the very best we could get at this moment in time, which is a good or a bad thing depending on which way you look at it, but that's what he is.

Ok he's a whinging twat and we don't yet know how he will operate with money to spend, but I'm pretty confident he won't piss it away and we're probably a bit strapped for the time being anyway.

Glad he's got the transfer window to work with too and time to get to know the players, instead of walking in on September 3rd with a blindfold on and his hands tied. Chuffed.

Gutted, a bloke who has won nothing and has one top 6 finish is nowhere near good enough for us.

However, I wish him luck and hope he can be the man to get it right.

Well said Obi, I know how much you hate him.  :parky:

Reasonably happy, I feel optimistic about this one, unlike the last two, which just had me hoping the departure would come sooner rather than later from day one.

I don't like Allardyce as a person, I'll say that, but his fitness coaching is outstanding, he gets the best out of average players,  he's excellent at working within a budget, his sides are well drilled, organised, know what they're supposed to be doing all the time, excel against the top sides, very strong at home. He is the very best we could get at this moment in time, which is a good or a bad thing depending on which way you look at it, but that's what he is.

Ok he's a whinging twat and we don't yet know how he will operate with money to spend, but I'm pretty confident he won't piss it away and we're probably a bit strapped for the time being anyway.

Glad he's got the transfer window to work with too and time to get to know the players, instead of walking in on September 3rd with a blindfold on and his hands tied. Chuffed.

A moment in forum history there folks, I give it 2 hours.

A moment in forum history there folks, I give it 2 hours.

bluelaugh.gif

Guest Knightrider

The things against Big Sam are all superficial.

Ex mackem - So fucking what. Only a true cretin would out of a whole list of plus points, use such a meaningless statistic to rule against someone.

Panarama programme - More hyperbole than actual substance. Big Sam has never been charged or found guilty of taking bungs. He's conducted over 200 transfers in and out since becoming a manager, all those breadcrumbs and nothing but conjecture and accusations.

Style of football - Firstly it is a bit of a myth that Bolton play shite football. They used the long ball just as much as Chelsea and Liverpool. Secondly they played better football than we have done over the past few years, as was on show when they beat us at SJP earlier on in the season. Thirdly who gives a shit about being entertained, give me results and success over that all day long. Fat lot of good entertainment has done us over the years. Lastly, you'd have to be an idiot to expect a manager not to be able to adapt something as simple as a pattern of play, given that this manager in particular has been doing it every year he's been in charge of Bolton. Don't believe me, ask one of their fans. Also, you don't sign and play technically gifted players like Campo, Djorkaef, Okocha, Anelka, Diouf and others and actually get them performing if all you are is a "long ball team".

Attracting top players - The fact this concerns a lot of fans whenever a new manager is up for grabs, says a lot about how some value our trophy players here. I would gladly swap half of our so-called top players, the Duff's, Luque's, Parker's and other big money signings for half of Bolton's team which cost a full total of zero to assemble. But do not fret because being able to attract top players has never been a problem at Newcastle even for crap like Souness and Roeder, now getting them to perform.... that's what's important. Money talks, we could have Hitler in charge and we'd be able to buy top players, if we dangle enough money in their face and their clubs' face.

Dealing with pressure/expectations - God, you'd think this is the only club that has to live with pressure. We create half the pressure ourselves or bring it on ourselves, yet should any manager win a mere League Cup he'd be a king, 6 games to become a King? Hell, he'd get a civic reception if he lost a Final (Gullit, Dalglish). Pressure? Newcastle should be the easiest club in the world to manager. All you need to do is sign top players, play attractive football and nearly win something, and you're a messiah. Seriously, the margin of pressure at a club like Bolton and Newcastle is thin or not that different. At Bolton the pressure is on to stay up, to somehow compete with those around you who are much bigger and have bigger kitties, at Newcastle it's top 6 and a good cup run (we gave up hope of trophies long ago). BTW expectations at Bolton under Big Sam, self imposed expectations I might add? Top 6 and a good cup run.

Now look at the pros...

Man management skills - check

Tactical acumen - check

Good grasp of worldwide markets - check

Match preparation - check

Motivational skills - check

Good grasp of fitness and diet techniques - check

Improving players - check (made Michael Rickets into an England player)

Spotting unknow talent - check (Ben Haim, their 'keeper)

Discipline - check

Bringing through any available youth - check

Improving a club's all-round status league, financial and playing/coaching wise - check

Working with a limited budget - check

Mapping out strategies, plans and improvements - check

Use of technology to aid players, club and results - check

Nah, not for us. Once a mackem...  :rolleyes:

I'll be fucking delighted if he becomes our manager, first time in my life supporting the club we've appointed someone at the top of my own list of ideal managers, someone I actually want, rate and can believe in and get excited about.

Guest Knightrider

If Wullie's even half pleased, this is a good sign. We're ganna win the league noo lyke :D

I'll be f****** delighted if he becomes our manager, first time in my life supporting the club we've appointed someone at the top of my own list of ideal managers, someone I actually want, rate and can believe in and get excited about.

Saved, to have its own topic 3 years from now..

Meh! He could be effective but people will have to get used to efficient football, the sort Daglish and Souness tried as well some dull post match interviews with excuses for poor results.

I get the feeling once again, that people will easily turn against him despite initial optimism.

I've long given up on us attracting one of Europe's best managers, so this is probably the best we can go.

Guest Dr. Richard Kimble

Unhappy. He's too crude to turn it around. Another wasted opportunity.

As someone fantastically put it a few days ago, he's the point on the graph where "Managerial Ability" and "Likely to want to manage the club" cross.

That was one of the best posts I have ever seen on this forum.

HTT, has ANYONE ever mentioned anything about Allardyce being a ex-mackem? You seem to be mentioning it a lot, but I've yet to see anyone mention it, other than a brief mention by .com, and they said "who cares?".