Allardyce supposedly as good as appointed - Happy or Disappointed?

Karjala
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest mr quimbys beard

I would be quite happy with fat sams appointment given that he sorts the shambles of a team out and sacks half the first team and buys wisely.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Manchester Evening News

Sam waits for an offer

Chris Bailey

8/ 5/2007

SAM Allardyce returns from holiday later this week a wanted man.

Newcastle United have made it clear that they want the former Bolton boss to succeed Glenn Roeder, who resigned on Sunday.

But Big Sam is in no rush to decide his future. And as long as Stuart Pearce's position at City remains uncertain, Allardyce is unlikely to pin his colours to any other job.

Blues boss Pearce is continuing to make plans for next season, but there has been a deafening silence from the board in terms of confirming that he will get a third season in charge.

Eight successive home games without a goal have piled the pressure on Pearce.

Alarm bells

A big drop in season ticket sales from this time last year - despite a price freeze and big cut in costs for juniors - has set boardroom alarm bells ringing.

However, they are unlikely to make a decision before the season ends at Spurs this weekend, especially as a four-way international battle for control of the club continues.

Newcastle, meanwhile, are hoping the presence at St James Park of top-class internationals such as Michael Owen, Kieron Dyer, Scott Parker, Damien Duff, Obafemi Martins and Shay Given will appeal to Allardyce's ambition.

But Allardyce has always maintained that his family will be deeply involved in any choice over a new job, and it would take an exceptional offer for him to uproot from his Bolton home.

Guest Echo

I'm really surprised by the vote stats!  at time of posting 79% in favour of him.  I'm a negative like, not that impressed by big gob.

Roeder collected more points in the last 16 games than Allardyce   FACT

Allardyce collected more points in the last 37 games than Roeder    FACT

Actually, that just goes to show just how much worse Roeder is than Allardyce. The fact that over the past 16 games Roeder has only collected one point more than Allardyce's Bolton, and yet still lie 13 points behind them in the league, is a joke. Bolton's last 16 games has just been a bad run of form, our last 16 games (with a huge one point more!) has just been in-keeping with our form of the last 3 seasons, barring a blip at the end of last season where we had a good run.

None of the people that are going to takeover city want Allardyce as the manager. Plus why would he go to city shite club, squad (except Richards) and shite fans. Compared to our good squad, club and great fans. No brainer if you ask me.

Guest Knightrider

ON hits the nail on the head - bad run of form, all teams go through them. Lets not look at the fact that Bolton have clung onto the coattails of 4th pretty much since the start of the season and were at one point 3rd in the table a few points ahead of 4th. I seem to remember Spurs doing the same last season and everyone creaming over them. When your squad is small and lacking quality not to mention all the effort Bolton put into games, I'm not surprised they've tailed off at the end. So have Chelsea ran out of steam, all the effort they've put into the season, lack of freshness in the squad etc. We even did it under Sir Bobby, when we finished 4th and 3rd, at one point we were top in January in the season we finished 4th and the following year, a few points off top spot with a month or so to go. Small squad, injuries and tired legs saw to it that we ran out of steam. Happens to all teams and this is straw clutching at its best :lol:

The very fact Bolton, despite only winning 1 in 16 or whatever, have only slipped a few places should tell you everything you need to know, that prior to that run, they were one of the top performing sides in the country and on course for a top 4 finish, even a few weeks back. Defeat to Arsenal put paid to any hope. Us on the other hand have been pretty much in mid-table all season and even flirted with the drop zone.

Being in with a CL spot for the vast majority of the season and blowing it for a club like Bolton is a disaster :lol:

Qualifying for Europe via the back door is ACE and a good return on all that money we spend on players.

According to the Independent ...

Allardyce's first act will be to show Dyer the door

By Jason Burt

Published: 09 May 2007

Kieron Dyer is likely to be one of the big-name casualties at Newcastle United as soon as Sam Allardyce is installed as manager. There will be no shortage of takers for the 28-year-old England international although his wages, thought to be £80,000-a-week, will be a stumbling block for interested clubs such as Tottenham Hotspur.

Allardyce, who is due to take over at St James' Park after Sunday's final Premiership game of the season against Watford, is unconvinced as to whether Dyer is able to consistently shake off the injury problems that have dogged his career. At the same time Allardyce is understood to be planning a major upheaval of the Newcastle squad and has been promised funds by the chairman Freddy Shepherd.

Allardyce is likely to return to his former club Bolton Wanderers with a bid for captain Kevin Nolan and the defender Talal Ben Haim. Nolan is regarded as exactly the kind of goal-scoring midfielder that Newcastle lack although he will not come cheaply as the 24-year-old only signed a new contract at the Reebok earlier this year. Ben Haim's current deal expires at the end of the season and he is certain to leave Bolton.

The Israeli had been expected to join Chelsea in the January transfer window and although he has made clear that he wants Champions League football it is likely that Allardyce, with the money available at Newcastle, will make a tempting offer.

Allardyce is likely to reshape the whole of the Newcastle defence with the promising Steven Taylor set to be the only survivor. A move for West Ham United's Anton Ferdinand, planned under Allardyce's predecessor Glenn Roeder and believed to have reached an advance stage, will be shelved as the new manager targets greater experience. That would open the way for a possible bid for Portsmouth's Sol Campbell who, according to sources at Newcastle, is keen to move to Tyneside for personal reasons just 12 months after he left Arsenal for the south-coast.

The changes could see Titus Bramble, who is out of contract after this season, move the other way while there must also be a question mark over the futures of Stephen Carr and Celestine Babayaro. Oguchi Onyewu has only been signed on loan until this weekend and a permanent deal may not be agreed.

If Dyer leaves his likely destination would be Spurs - where he would link up again with Jermaine Jenas and could be used in the problem area of left midfield - although other clubs, such as West Ham United if they avoid relegation, may also be interested. Newcastle would hope to re-coup most of the £6m fee they paid for Dyer eight years ago but in order for a deal to be done they may have to revise down their valuation.

Newcastle are not the only club who have cooled their interest in Anton Ferdinand who has had a torrid season at Upton Park and is expected to leave this summer. Spurs, who bid £4m for the defender, in January are now understood to be in negotiations to sign the promising Auxerre central defender Younes Kaboul. The French Under-21 captain would cost around £7.5m.

The Carlisle manager Neil McDonald, a former colleague of Allardyce, hinted he would be interested in joining him.

"I speak to Sam on a regular basis for advice because I got on very well with him during my time working under him at Bolton as first-team coach," McDonald said. "I class him as my mentor and if he gets the Newcastle job then that would be fantastic. But it's up to him to decide who he wants to get in."

I can't believe Roeder was actually considering Anton ferdinand ... that is really dissapointing.

If this Independent article is accurate it appears that Allardyce might have been making plans for the Newcastle post a while ago! The Dyer story as well as the campbell story were both very strong but were both dismissed by Roeder. Looks like Allardyce might have had other ideas. If this is indeed the case then it is good to know that he has at least started making plans for the team already.

Guest the_guv_nor

The bloke isnt even our manager yet and he is busy sunbathing in spain so how can they possibly know all this?

Interesting but i think Sam will have a look at Dyer before making any final decisions. Glad to hear that he is going to concentrate his efforts on defence, cant recall any previous managers recently wanting to do that although i'm not to be convinced Anton Ferdinand is the answer. I wouldnt mind his team mate Lucas Neill though.

Also - I would be very happy if we got Kevin Nolan he would be a great signing!

Guest smoggeordie

I am surprised the media has not linked Speed with us yet... seems an obvious one.

They have as a player/coach

I could definitely see Allardyce going for Distin rather than Campbell though.

Hmmm ... Distin and Ben Haim would be a very capable centre back pairing, and they would both be ona free!!!

Here's hoping!

Sounds prefect...almost too perfect...independent must be making it up. Nolan and Ben Haim though  :thup: Campbell if he wants to come aswell would be great, just the sort of player for Taylor to look to for guidance. It's about time Dyer fucked off to London with all his bling bling mates anyway.

If Sam sorts all that out and gets in 2 quality fullbacks then things are already looking pretty sweet.

Guest smoggeordie

Sounds prefect...almost too perfect...independent must be making it up. Nolan and Ben Haim though  :thup: Campbell if he wants to come aswell would be great, just the sort of player for Taylor to look to for guidance. It's about time Dyer f***** off to London with all his bling bling mates anyway.

If Sam sorts all that out and gets in 2 quality fullbacks then things are already looking pretty sweet.

He hasn't even been appointed yet! :lol:

Sounds prefect...almost too perfect...independent must be making it up. Nolan and Ben Haim though  :thup: Campbell if he wants to come aswell would be great, just the sort of player for Taylor to look to for guidance. It's about time Dyer f***** off to London with all his bling bling mates anyway.

He hasn't even been appointed yet! :lol:

Believe  O0