Julio Baptista - worth a punt?

James

If we are splashing the moolah on a striker this summer and if we're keeping Owen, Martins and Ameobi then we surely need to be signing a proper target man more than anything else?

If we are splashing the moolah on a striker this summer and if we're keeping Owen, Martins and Ameobi then we surely need to be signing a proper target man more than anything else?

then that mean us going in for bent then janitor or cause of the manager will he be too much of a trophy signing and we should still expect a possible unknown?

Darren Bent is not a target man, is he? If we have some serious money to splash, then I would hope we'd bring in one of the best "big(ish) man" strikers in the business. Can't see Allardyce fancying the little-men combinations, and it's understandable in the Premiership I suppose, although it would be interesting to see if a sort-of Beardsley/Cole partnership would be successful these days.

i think i was seeing bent as our target man as more like somone with a physical presense but is also good on the ball and would work up with either owen or martins as the pacy shorter man.

i guess we have to be wary if the rumours are true about owen and martins and we hold onto them how bad will it be to bring in someone else as compeptition to alienate one of them into leaving. I think its catch 22 new money from the big investor type could open the doors for alot of people we thought not possible but we cant forget we already have two very decent strikers (on their own anyway still unconvinced as a unit).

i think i was seeing bent as our target man as more like somone with a physical presense but is also good on the ball and would work up with either owen or martins as the pacy shorter man.

i guess we have to be wary if the rumours are true about owen and martins and we hold onto them how bad will it be to bring in someone else as compeptition to alienate one of them into leaving. I think its catch 22 new money from the big investor type could open the doors for alot of people we thought not possible but we cant forget we already have two very decent strikers (on their own anyway still unconvinced as a unit).

Very good post and exactly how I see things. Will be interesting to see how the manager/takeover affects Oba and Owen and we shouldn't forget the lack of Euro games and Owen's injury-proneness, either. Would be great if we could keep both AND add another quality striker to the pool, but it would be impossible to keep them all happy if they were all fit for an extended period of time together. Which is, of course, extremely unlikely.

Darren Bent is not a target man, is he? If we have some serious money to splash, then I would hope we'd bring in one of the best "big(ish) man" strikers in the business. Can't see Allardyce fancying the little-men combinations, and it's understandable in the Premiership I suppose, although it would be interesting to see if a sort-of Beardsley/Cole partnership would be successful these days.

Darren Bent is by no means a target man

We have an option to take a gamble with Carroll, or try and sign one those:

Nikola Zigic, Jan Koller, Alan Smith (can work great as a target man) , Stefen Iversen (scored something like 20+ goals this season), etc..

But i don't think a player like Darren Bent will do us any good at the moment..

Very good post and exactly how I see things. Will be interesting to see how the manager/takeover affects Oba and Owen and we shouldn't forget the lack of Euro games and Owen's injury-proneness, either. Would be great if we could keep both AND add another quality striker to the pool, but it would be impossible to keep them all happy if they were all fit for an extended period of time together. Which is, of course, extremely unlikely.

not that i want to start some slap on the back action but i do end up always agreeing with your trail of thought, it has been a big problem for alot of big clubs for an age we could never keep them all happy, been lucky that martins has been injury free alot of this season. We do also need to bare in mind martins is as good as gone for over a month in the jan due to the african nations (on a personal note I love watching it as my friend comes from ghana aka the black stars) so we need a better back up than ameobi.

I think over all it depends on the transfer budget, with enough cash we could go for the rip the team apart approach do a chelsea and hope 40-50 million is enough or we try and build over a couple of seasons which in a way sinse ive started to type this im thinking no europe this year we can cope with ameobi playing first team for a little bit so why dont we concentrate on the defence then i would love to splash big money on a midfielder that actually scores goals, forget a defensive midfielder i want a 10+ goal scoring midfielder.

Nikola Zigic, Jan Koller, Alan Smith (can work great as a target man) , Stefen Iversen (scored something like 20+ goals this season), etc..

Also No, No and err........No. 

Koller will do a decent job like, he is THE target man, i think they invented the whole target man thing just for him :lol:

Smith is pretty decent, but we can get better + i don't think Manchester will let him go easy..

Stefen Iversen is the last option if we want a target man,he really improved since his Tottenham days and he's only 30, and turned to a classic target man/goal scorer type of player

Darren Bent plays well upfront on his own for Charlton. Whilst not very big he's good in the air and is good at holding up the ball and bringing others into play.

Koller will do a decent job like, he is THE target man, i think they invented the whole target man thing just for him :lol:

Smith is pretty decent, but we can get better + i don't think Manchester will let him go easy..

Stefen Iversen is the last option if we want a target man,he really improved since his Tottenham days and he's only 30, and turned to a classic target man/goal scorer type of player

Koller is 34 man!

Smith too much of a risk, needs to get a full year under his belt after that injury.

Iversen Haven't seen too much of him recently but he would have had to improve a hell of a lot.

Basically, we should be aiming higher.........much higher.

Darren Bent plays well upfront on his own for Charlton. Whilst not very big he's good in the air and is good at holding up the ball and bringing others into play.

Bent can play as a target man very well if need be. As you say, he's deceptively good in the air and has a decent touch.

A lot of people seem to be under the misconception that you have to be pushing 7 foot and/or built like a brick shithouse to be a target man. Oh, and if you're pacey you automatically must NOT be a target man.

Agreed, Bent does just fine for Charlton as a lone striker, playing for England with a partner he has always looked confused at where he should be.

I wouldnt have expected us to bid for him, but with the takeover, i guess its more of a possibility.

Bent can play as a target man very well if need be. As you say, he's deceptively good in the air and has a decent touch.

A lot of people seem to be under the misconception that you have to be pushing 7 foot and/or built like a brick shithouse to be a target man. Oh, and if you're pacey you automatically must NOT be a target man.

Not really (i.e Smith is barley 180 cm..)

Its just the things a target man must have, to be better in the air then most of the people on the pitch,even better then the defenders you will face,to know when to hold and when to pass the ball,to have decent finishing + Heading

thus, Viduka can classfied as a target man, Peter Crouch might not ...

Viduka on a free. His options are open, i know - but we should make a big effort to go for him when there's such a quality player right under our nose. If that doesn't work out, concentrate then on oberving more expensive options.

Baptista is out of the equation though, as he simply would not be worth the money.

I'm tired of having players that don't want to be here.  I understand to a certain extent that every player is looking for the best deal for them and its rare to find quality players who really love the toon, but I'm tired of people like Dyer, Bramble, Duff, etc who are just drawing a big wage and not producing.  And that's almost undoubtedly what Baptista would do.  Get players who want to be here and who buy into Big Sam's system and English football.

I honestly think that Viduka will be a great signing, free and he'll pair up exellently with either Owen or Martins. Signing Viduka leaves us with a number of good striking combinations/options. Then we can invest heavily on our defence. I think that Allardyce can get the Parker/Emre combination working, I think he has the man-management to do that. So we should just pour money into our defence, Martins got a fair few goals this season, we have Owen back next season, so we'll have plenty of goals from our forwards, we need more goals from our midfield, and we need good full-backs who can start attacks, I honestly think signing quality full-backs will not only make us concede less, but also score more.

We could've just played Gooch upfront and saved money if we wanted a Baptista.

THIS.

Somebody once mentioned to me that Gooch was amazing if you converted him to a striker in FM 2007.

...food for thought.