David Rozehnal

Guest Darth Toon

There seems to be a bit of doubt as to whether he was really in the team of the year earlier in the thread.  Either way I'm sure Big Sam will have done his homework.

Yea i just checked and he WASNT in the team of the season BUT that was on Wiki.

That said, it says he WAS on his Wiki profile.

when will he actually sign for us then? a quick deal like Viduka or a long wait like Barton?

hopefully its done within the next day or two so it doesnt fall threw in my eyes

His agent said he's having a medical on Monday so i'd expect him to sign on Monday or Tuesday

Great news if it all goes through.

Yeah, i know, it's a bit ignorant of me to say "great news", having never seen the guy play, but the facts speak for themselves, as the likes of The Janitor and Ohmelads have pointed out. He's the heartbeat of the Czech defense (a solid and reliable international outfit) and featured in the team of the season in Ligue1 which, granted, isn't too special. But when you consider that he's beaten the likes of Cris, Cacapa, Beye, Taiwo, Kaboul and the rest to this post, it's promising.

I'm just glad to get a defender in. Ideally, we want everybody in for July 2nd (if Sam is to keep his word, or atleast his personal ambience at the club), and we've already let three centre-backs go. The people who were concerned had a point; the people who were worried were exaggerating.

Happy to get him in. We haven't had a pacy centre-back since the monster that was Jean-Alain.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Rozehnal lands to boost United

Jun 23 2007

By Paul Gilder, The Journal

Sam Allardyce last night made a breakthrough in his bid to rebuild his depleted defence at Newcastle as David Rozehnal agreed to move to St James's Park.

The Czech international has rejected a late approach from Sevilla and, having held positive discussions with Allardyce yesterday, the Paris-Saint Germain stopper has decided to continue his career in the Premier League.

Although the transfer fee has not been revealed, United are expected to pay PSG around £3m to bring the 26-year-old (pictured left) to the North-East, having upped their initial bid.

Neither club has confirmed the deal. But following a day of discussions with officials from Newcastle and Sevilla, Rozehnal's agent last night insisted that the Magpies have clinched the deal.

"We have reached a final agreement," said Pavel Zika, who is expected to travel to Tyneside with the player this weekend to conclude the deal. "David moves to Newcastle."

United officials have made no comment on the matter, although The Journal understands Allardyce expects the transfer to be completed at the start of next week. Rozehnal, capped 35 times by the Czech Republic, has yet to undergo a medical but, having been given permission to discuss a transfer, it seems an agreement between Newcastle and PSG has been reached.

Allardyce's pursuit of the former Club Brugge defender has been a protracted affair. Having earmarked Rozehnal as Tal Ben Haim's replacement at Bolton, the 52-year-old attempted to lure the Czech to the Reebok Stadium during January's transfer window.

He might have failed on that occasion but it looks as though he has succeeded this time around, with Newcastle officials confident the deal will be completed without problems within days.

Having released Titus Bramble, Craig Moore, Olivier Bernard and Oguchi Onyewu, a manager who also plans to off-load Celestine Babayaro before next season starts was determined to start restocking his defence. With Steven Taylor having torn ankle ligaments during this week's European Under-21 Championship semi-final in Holland, last night's developments will have come as a relief.

Rozehnal will not be the last stopper to arrive this summer, with Allardyce keen to add five defenders to his squad before pre-season training starts next month. Marseille's Habib Beye remains a target, as does Liverpool's Sami Hyypia - despite Rafael Benitez's assertions that the Finn has a future at Anfield.

It is clear that Allardyce's priorities lie at the back and, although Newcastle have been linked with Manchester United's Alan Smith and Sevilla's Frederic Kanoute, neither player's arrival is imminent.

With Michael Owen and Obafemi Martins having both indicated they will start the season at St James's Park, a manager who also has Mark Viduka, Shola Ameobi and Andy Carroll on his books is understood to be content with his current striking options.

But he will know that the situation could change without warning - as demonstrated by last night's dramatic developments at Arsenal. Should Thierry Henry's move to Barcelona be confirmed, Owen and Martins will both find themselves in the frame to replace the Frenchman. For that reason, there must be contingencies.

Newcastle have confirmed their pre-season plans, with Juventus and Sampdoria set to travel to the North-East to take on Allardyce's team.

The Magpies will be at Hartlepool on July 17 (7.30pm) and Carlisle on July 21 (3pm) before taking on Celtic on July 26 in what will be Allardyce's first game in charge at St James's Park. Juventus - who will face Sunderland the following weekend - will be on Tyneside on July 29 (3pm) and, having travelled to Hull on August 1 (7.45pm), United will complete their pre-season programme with a home game against Sampdoria on August 5 (3pm).

Meanwhile, Newcastle's David Edgar was last night named in Canada's squad for the Fifa Under-20 World Cup, which begins on June 30 in Montreal.

This is a signing I am pretty happy about. He was on Sam's original shopping list along with Haim, and has been a long tern target. A million miles away from Freddy Shepherd's previous approach of playing Russian roullette on transfer deadline day.

Target identified early.

Well scouted.

Concluded in plenty of time for pre-season.

Business how it should be done.  :clap:

This has got to be his actual decision not just his agent making up some more shit? I hope its true

relax, he'll have a medical on monday then he will sing his contract.

This has got to be his actual decision not just his agent making up some more shit? I hope its true

relax, he'll have a medical on monday then he will sing his contract.

Should be entertaining  :laugh:

:D

This is a signing I am pretty happy about. He was on Sam's original shopping list along with Haim, and has been a long tern target. A million miles away from Freddy Shepherd's previous approach of playing Russian roullette on transfer deadline day.

Target identified early.

Well scouted.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Top post.

Target identified early.

Well scouted.

and cheap!

World Cup XI! Whatever next? Don't think anyone is certain he was in the France XI yet. :D

BBC say he was in the France XI and they are pretty reliable

He wasn't, wasn't in the World Cup one either.

The fact he is being mentioned for both suggests he's not bad.

Saying that Baros was top scorer in an international tournament a few year ago, so that means nowt.