Top Six Finish A Realistic Target Next Season ...?

Jamie

Tbh,i'm really looking foward to next season.

With MA set to dig into his wallet,Allardyce making funds for himself by selling players to make way for his own wealing and deals is also very good.

If we get rid of parker,that will give us 8m to spend.

A replacement ( a cheaper one )Maybe Barton 5m.

Viduka on a free,Ben Haim on a free and maybe cambell on the cheap 1m.

If we get in a decent left back in,Baines/Shorey 3-7m i think we can definately be targeting for europe again next season.

I dont know what Ashley is prepared to do with the rest of his money, but As i am sure we could afford a real talent out there somewhere but i just cant see where we would strenthen.

With Dyer and Charlie possibly outbound,With could end up with a lot of money and it doesnt really going to think about how good our squad could be next season.

I really believe that we can finish in the top six along with spurs,jumping everton Bolton those sort of teams and cement a place in europe,Also targeting one of the cups.My suggestion being the Carling Cup.

Was just wondering what everyone elses opinions and targets for next season are....

Cheers.

Guest khyberpass

Target should be a better team and more points(whether 6th or higher is realistic - I doubt in year one). Dont want us to spend £75M and lose Sam after year 1 if they haven't gelled; would rather build year on year.

I echo the worry over getting rid of so many of the team whilst we are mid takeover...

and I'm one of the few Bramble fans...would have loved to see Sam turn him into the quality player that he showed in bursts...strong, great tackler, fast, great passer ,and good eye for goal...but concentration of a goldfish! Ho Hum

Guest Eires No. 1

Target should be a better team and more points(whether 6th or higher is realistic - I doubt in year one). Dont want us to spend £75M and lose Sam after year 1 if they haven't gelled; would rather build year on year.

I echo the worry over getting rid of so many of the team whilst we are mid takeover...

and I'm one of the few Bramble fans...would have loved to see Sam turn him into the quality player that he showed in bursts...strong, great tackler, fast, great passer ,and good eye for goal...but concentration of a goldfish! Ho Hum

I would have liked to see him play full back.  I think he has all the qualities to play there but his mistakes would be a little less costly as when he played center half.

Guest khyberpass

GOOD CALL....Compare him to Baba and weve got ride of the wrong man!

I would have liked to see him play full back.  I think he has all the qualities to play there but his mistakes would be a little less costly as when he played center half.

I don't think you'll fnish 6th next season, it is too much to expect Big Sam to turn around what you have now and get you into the top 6 in one season, no matter how much money he has to spend.

If I were one of you, I'd be agreeing with Gejon, decent progress is all you can really ask of a manager in his first season.

I wouldn't mind us finishing just outside the top 6 as long as there were marked improvements in the team, tactics etc..

I'd take top ten if there is visible progress. :nods:

I don't think you'll fnish 6th next season, it is too much to expect Big Sam to turn around what you have now and get you into the top 6 in one season, no matter how much money he has to spend.

If I were one of you, I'd be agreeing with Gejon, decent progress is all you can really ask of a manager in his first season.

top 4,then spurs,then a quagmire,6th is achievable and spurs are no great shakes.

this post could come from a toon or villa perspective

Nothing wrong with setting high targets. I look back to last season and count the points we lost out on when playing the dregs of the division. Add those points on and we're in the top 8 easily. Looking forward to next season and us playing under a real manager for the first time in a few years. Top 6 is there for the taking imo.  :thup: 

We hav'n't got a clue who is coming in and who is going,all we have is newspaper speculation,so predictions are just a tad premature.(Having said that I've got faith in Sam moving us in the right direction.) With a takeover thats only partly completed,I'm going to sit on the fence and pray that something goes right for us this time.I've been kicked in the nuts too many times by this club to take anything for granted

top 4,then spurs,then a quagmire,6th is achievable and spurs are no great shakes.

this post could come from a toon or villa perspective

Aye, it could do, but I don't think Villa or Newcastle will finish 6th. If Everton buy well this summer, they'll do very well again, and Tottenham will do well again, as well.

I do like the idea of Villa, Newcastle, Spurs and Everton starting to put a bit of pressure on the big four, though. As wibbled on about by that bloke in the Deloitte report the other day.

I share the same sentiments about cautiousness.

However, I believe that whichever way it goes, we should at minimum try to get into a UEFA spot.

Regards

Ericz

I can fully understand your excitement Jamie and it is great to read it, but as some of the other posters have said, I also feel that it is very difficult to forecast anything for next season, at this stage.

(1) We have a newly appointed manager who has been on holiday most of the time since he joined us, so his plans are (though well speculated on) still quite unknown. We don't even know how good he will be at the job. Yes, we think he is VERY good (most of us do) but we do not know, yet, how he will perform here at NUFC, as he has not started yet.

(2) We are in the middle of being taken over (final outcome still unclear) so the whole company (club) is in a state of flux, from the top down. We may end up with huge amounts of money to spend, We may not, who knows at this stage?  Either way, we then go back to my point above about the manager - in relation to his ability to spend whatever levels of money are available, to attract the right players.  We don't know.

So, it is immensly difficult to provide a rational forecast at this stage, don't you think?

One thing I will say though  -  isn't it 'sad' how far we have fallen in the last three years or so?  This thread really reveals that, in terms of peoples expectations for next season. Not long ago "Champions League Qualification" was thought of by many, as being the MINIMUM objective for each season!!!

I agree with everyone who is saying it's too early to set expectations. We don't have a proper back four at the moment, nor do we know who our strikers are going to be for sure. Moreover, Big Sam hasn't even come back from vacation yet.

Hard to call if the take over drags on.

But should it go ahead and the figures predicted be given to big sam as a Gold Card, top six or there abouts should be a reasonable expectation.

You have to bear in mind the other clubs that have been given huge financial backing, who will also be aiming for at least the same.

Id hope for top six at least, but depeding on circumstance and structural developement of the club 8th downwards would be ok..

either way, we need to keep with Allardyce and give him a few seasons to impliment what he needs to.

Guest khyberpass

Hard to call if the take over drags on.

But should it go ahead and the figures predicted be given to big sam as a Gold Card, top six or there abouts should be a reasonable expectation.

You have to bear in mind the other clubs that have been given huge financial backing, who will also be aiming for at least the same.

Id hope for top six at least, but depeding on circumstance and structural developement of the club 8th downwards would be ok..

SPOT ON :clap:

either way, we need to keep with Allardyce and give him a few seasons to impliment what he needs to.

I am not at all enamoured with most of the names we are being associated with at present so cannot see how any of them will improve us greatly.

Therefore, I think top 6 is beyond us so just looking for progress and to finish comfortably top half and not be flirting with relegation. 

I am not at all enamoured with most of the names we are being associated with at present so cannot see how any of them will improve us greatly.

Therefore, I think top 6 is beyond us so just looking for progress and to finish comfortably top half and not be flirting with relegation. 

Id agree with the first statement. Although what we are being linked with is the start of what we are replacing. Im not convinced either that they are even much of an improvement on what we had, but its the basis of our new squad, there will be alot of action over the summer, especially should the takeover happen.

The likes we are linked with now are additions to the squad rather than foundations to the team. If they are the latter, I share your concerns.

after the way the season ended, I will be happy if we just score a goal in our first home game of the season

I have herd of the rumour/myth of the time a goal was scored at SJP in the Premierleague & my great Grandfather has talked about it, I have now found footage of the event:

It is on YOUTUBE key in SOLANO LIVERPOOL