Joey Barton completes move for £5.8m - Man City

Dokko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

City have confirmed they've sold Barton to Newcastle:

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?pageid=115&pagegid=%7BDBD12D53%2D8346%2D431D%2DA04F%2D5D0F8664DE80%7D&newsid=434184&siteid=&pageno=&newscategory=1051&frommonth=4&fromyear=2007&tomonth=6&toyear=2007

Newcastle made an improved bid for 5.8m (300k more than the clause was for).  Perhaps Newcastle settled the case with paying City 300k more and city pay Barton the 300k loyalty bonus?

City sell Barton to Newcastle for £5.8million

14/06/2007 16:40

Manchester City can confirm that Joey Barton has been sold to Newcastle United for a fee of £5.8million.

The 24-year-old asked for permission to speak with Newcastle last week after both the Magpies and West Ham submitted bids of £5.5million or more for the player.

Newcastle followed their initial bid up with an improved £5.8million offer today, which has been accepted by the Blues.

The midfielder came through the Club’s Academy system before making his debut against Bolton in April 2003.

His first goal for the club came just two games later at White Hart Lane, and he quickly established himself in Kevin Keegan’s side the following season.

Joey made 142 starts for the Blues scoring 17 goals, and he won one England cap when he came on as a substitute in February’s international against Spain.

Classy move by Newcastle. Wasn't worth having this get dragged through hearing after hearing with the freakin' FA. We are getting a really good deal at £5.5 million so why not just make it £5.8 million and let's move on and focus on what is important, which is getting a team together for next season without any negative crap.

Good stuff.

I would say more fool us if i didnt think the way the prices of english players are going we got him for a descent price. Guess SA didnt fancy missing out on another signing on the basis of 300k another one in the bag and lets move on.

Classy move by Newcastle. Wasn't worth having this get dragged through hearing after hearing with the freakin' FA. We are getting a really good deal at £5.5 million so why not just make it £5.8 million and let's move on and focus on what is important, which is getting a team together for next season without any negative crap.

Good stuff.

Agreed. O0

When you look at the fee's Parker, Jenas and Reo-Coker have moved or are rumoured to be moving for, we've got ourselves a real bargain here.

2 signings already ... I'm so not used to this. I'm not sure I quite believe it.

Very pleased. We are moving along at a very healthy pace and so far we have actually made a profit transfer fee wise!

Guest sicko2ndbest

Glad its gone through, wish he would have just wavered the payment but at the end of the day why should he.

Man City are the villians in this not Barton. Cant wait to see Barton destroy city at St James's, he'll be chomping at the bit!

O0

Guest Bramble OG

2 signings already ... I'm so not used to this. I'm not sure I quite believe it.

Very pleased. We are moving along at a very healthy pace and so far we have actually made a profit transfer fee wise!

Was just thinking the same, 2 signings before mid June!!! 

Good fucking riddance. Delighted to see the back of him, the baggage far outwieghs his ability. Delighted we stood our ground on this bonus issue too, which I assume is now over considering we've probably "paid" him with your money.

Now I wonder what washed-up never-was we should spend our 300k on...

Good fucking riddance. Delighted to see the back of him, the baggage far outwieghs his ability. Delighted we stood our ground on this bonus issue too, which I assume is now over considering we've probably "paid" him with your money.

Now I wonder what washed-up never-was we should spend our 300k on...

Buy Sibierski! :lol:

Barton is such a wanker refusing to let that £300k go to the point that his new club had to step in and pay it.

He really doesn't do himself any favours.

Didn't he say something a few weeks ago about wishing players played for football instead of money?

Seem like a right dickhead, I'm afraid to say, not that we didn't know that already, but he's come to a new club looking for a fresh start and he can't even put pen to paper without kicking up a fuss out of greed.