Who would you sign now?

toptoon

I'm very wary of Shorey, could be a one-season wonder very easily.

Bridge is pretty much a sure thing as he's proven, and Baines I reckon is quality too.

After that, all our focus goes on Tevez...  :frantic:

Baines Bridge or Shorey - a must.

Out of the three?

i think i would sign Baines

Tough choice between Bridge and Baines for me.

Yea i agree but Baines just edges forward because:

His wages would be less,

He'd be eager to move

For Baines its a step up where as for Bridge its pretty much a step down

baines from wigan or shorey from reading

sell owen and buy gudjohnson for £5million less than we would sell owen for!

we will need a right back after this then that should be our squad finished for next season

I think Bridge is the better player but I would have some worries about injury problems/rustyness and Baines is still very young and has plenty of time to improve (although he is a very good defender).

I agree with Shak about Shorey, didn't find out till quite recently he is 26. Obviously some players don't really break through till later in their careers (Drogba for instance) but it would make me wary about the lad being a one season wonder.

A right back, a left back, a right winger, a left winger, a defensive midfield player and a playmaker. Oh and two centre halves.

I'd sign Andreas Sørgård Olsen, he's looked class for his second division club in Norway this season and today he put up quite a performance against Norwegian top division side Vålerenga. He's got speed, apparently skill and he's still young meaning he could probably become rather good with the right coaching. And the fact that he's in such a low division in Norway means we could prolly get him for nothing and throw him out without any hassle if he couldn't prove good enough.

And Rosenborg's Per Ciljan Skjelbred and Daniel Braaten I'd reckon would be good signings as well. And Bjørn Helge Riise, brother of John Arne Riise.

Anyways, that's just my biased nationalistic opinion on players as It'd be the happiest day of my life if a Norwegian player put on the black and white shirt :)

I do quite like when obscure players are signed and turn out to be class superstar players though, so yeah... I'm actually not too happy with big million signings as I'd rather have the club "create" players that would become players other big clubs would throw money at us for. I reckon that's the way we have to go this summer anyways as the already big and known players would prolly not sign for a non-europe club before we become an in-europe club. 

Would the people wanting Shorey have been happy in 2000 had we signed Michael Gray?

Could say the same about Baines.

Baines has had one good season and one gash season, he was beyond woeful last season.

Shorey's come up the leagues and hasnt looked out of place infact he's been one of Readings best players for 2 years has they've climbed into the top half of the Premiership.

I wouldn't mind having either here but there's not much between them.

Guest sicko2ndbest

According to the Actim Index of effective players, the players we should go for, that we have a chance of getting, are:

(?) - position in overall top 100

Left Backs

Barry (would be difficult but villa dont offer him anything we dont) (8)

Shorey  (34)

Centre Backs

Dunne (46)

Meite (73)

Right Backs

John OShea (87)?

Liam Rosenior (47)

Personally would take Dunne out of that lot as he is Mr Dependable

Baines is 22, a regular for the Under 21s and has had two good seasons in the Premiership. Shorey is 27ish, has only played one season in the Premiership with the vast majority of his career being spent in the bottom two divisions.

Not unlike Rob Lee when he first came to Newcastle then? Havent seen enough of Shorey to form an opinion. Plenty people get out of their comfort zone (as Rob Lee himself put it) when circumstances change. The talent has to be there though, obviously.

i think we have a good strong midfield and dont need to look at any other players for that department

we just need to concentrate on a left back, right back, centre back

i think we have a good strong midfield and dont need to look at any other players for that department

We need another midfielder tbh, someone to compete with Butt for the DM position.

We need another midfielder tbh, someone to compete with Butt for the DM position.

True, I think someone in the typical Big Sam mould. i.e. a big strong tackler who will win the ball in the middle of the park.

I think defence is the key area we need to strengthen, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be looking at other positions too...

Pretty certain we need more than one. Lots of very average talent in our midfield tbh

Guest Geordie Boyo

Given     Solano           Dyer           Owen

Harper   Geremi              Milner         Martins

Krul        Taylor            Butt            Viduka

Huntington    Diarra         Ameobi

Rozehnal       Barton        Carroll

Ramage         Emre

Edgar            N'Zogbia

Bridge            Duff

Guest sittingontheball

The Japanese press are reporting four offers for Nakamura based partly on reports from the Daily Mail. They include two Premier clubs, one of whom is Spuds.