Big Sam issues warning to O-Nut

Cajun

Guest Knightrider

If he doesn't finish 7th, he's failed. Long-term plan or no long-term plan.

That is bull s***, failed at what? And if we don't finish 7th what should happen to Sam in your opinion? Sacked? Or one life left?

I despair...

No he shouldn't be sacked. But his aim next season should be to finish on top of the mini-league of us, Villa, Pompey, Bolton, Blackburn, etc. If he doesn't do that, he hasn't succeeded. Benitez failed last season because he didn't finish top 2, Mourinho failed last season because he didn't win the title. Doesn't mean they should be sacked or they did poorly does it?

You can't compare us with Liverpool and Chelsea man :lol:

If we finish below 7th it won't be a failure or anything else, so long as we are heading in the right direction on and off the pitch which I am more than confident we will be doing which is why I am not bothered if we finish mid-table again because I can console myself that we won't be there for long and that much better days await.

Some idiots in this thread.

I'd be happy with finishing in the top 10 so long as we are improving, hell i'd be happy with having a season like Villa had last season so long as things were being done right on and off the park. Their fans seem to have their head screwed on and realise they're heading in the right direction.

:thup:

Top 7 or he's failed. :lol:

I think you're a cracking poster Nut, as i've said on several occassions, but howay man.

If we finish Top 6, i'll be absolutely gobsmacked. 7th, and i'll be pleasantly surprised. Top 10 and obvious improvement, and i'll be happy. Atleast make us difficult to beat.

This is potentially the most major overhaul/transitional period the club has had since i don't know when... John Hall came into the frame?

If i were to set any 'radical' target, it'd be 10/11 home victories. We have to be relatively formidable at home again.

If Allardyce can't qualify for Europe with the squad he's inherited plus a few new defenders then he needs his arse kicked.

My thoughts exactly. I get the feeling come May, if we haven't finished 7th, a lot of the people saying they'd have settled for top 10 or whatever will be disappointed.

If Allardyce can't qualify for Europe with the squad he's inherited plus a few new defenders then he needs his arse kicked.

Prepare to be underwhelmed. :)

If he doesn't he'll be sacked.

New era's gonna be shite in that case, then. If that's the mentality. And we'll rot.

How's my question irrelevant? Do you think with Sam last season we'd have only had 43 points?

How's my question irrelevant? Do you think with Sam last season we'd have only had 43 points?

Dunno.

Would you expect our defence under Allardyce to improve, or would you expect it to be as bad as Bolton's. His side conceded 5 more goals than us, this is us with Bramble, Carr, Babayaro, Ramage, Huntington, Moore. So they were collectively better than what Sam created at Bolton ??

We know our defence is crap, cos we can see it, and we keep getting told it. We also know Allardyce's is better cos again we keep being told it. Beware what you read in the papers, it doesn't always make sense.

Great idea, lets sack the manager every year that always works. How the hell will we improve if we don't give the manager time to build a fucking team.  :rant:

New era's gonna be s**** in that case, then. If that's the mentality. And we'll rot.

Why? Any decent manager with a squad containing Owen, Martins, Viduka, Duff, N'Zogbia, Milner, Dyer, Butt, Emre, Taylor and Given should be walking into a European football place over the likes of Bolton, Blackburn, Portsmouth, Reading etc, especially if you're given money to sign new defenders which looks to be the case.

Allardyce plays shit football but that will be ignored if the team is doing well, if they're not playing well and can't even qualify for Europe the Mike Ashley will get rid, I have no doubt about that.

New era's gonna be s**** in that case, then. If that's the mentality. And we'll rot.

Why? Any decent manager with a squad containing Owen, Martins, Viduka, Duff, N'Zogbia, Milner, Dyer, Butt, Emre, Taylor and Given should be walking into a European football place over the likes of Bolton, Blackburn, Portsmouth, Reading etc, especially if you're given money to sign new defenders which looks to be the case.

Allardyce plays shit football but that will be ignored if the team is doing well, if they're not playing well and can't even qualify for Europe the Mike Ashley will get rid, I have no doubt about that.

Owen, Martins and N'Zogbia could be away. Duff is out until November. Dyer is shit.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=40324.msg832449#msg832449

European qualification it is, then. ;)

On a serious note, the league will be very competitive next season. West Ham, Aston Villa, Tottenham, Everton, Blackburn, Portsmouth and, depending on their appointment, Man City, will all be expecting European football. That said, despite the massive overhaul the club will undergo on and off the pitch this Summer, i imagine Allardyce is quietly confident of securing a Uefa Cup place. We shall see.

Allardyce plays s*** football but that will be ignored if the team is doing well, if they're not playing well and can't even qualify for Europe the Mike Ashley will get rid, I have no doubt about that.

Owen, Martins and N'Zogbia could be away. Duff is out until November. Dyer is s***.

We'll they're here now which is why I named them, if they do go then his job will be to use the money he got to replace them properly.

I doubt the season will fall apart because Duff is missing for a few months either.

Great idea, lets sack the manager every year that always works. How the hell will we improve if we don't give the manager time to build a f****** team.  :rant:

Surely, you don't think that Roeder should have stayed on. Did you want to give him a chance to build a team? More than a year?  No, I didn't think so.

Neither Roeder or Souness showed progress and they were rightfully dismissed.  To be satisifed with a top 10 finish-- with the talent this club has at its disposal-- is a disgrace.  Behind Reading, Blackburn, Boro, Portsmouth?

I'm not setting a litmus test---Top 7 or fire the manager. But if Allardyce can't finish in the top 7 with the players he's got at his disposal, he might not be the person to build a team. If Viduka and Barton both bomb, if Rosenthal etal. turn out to be donkeys, do you want to keep him around?

The team needs to show progress. Surely, progress with Owen, Martins, Barton, Duff, Milner, Emre, Dyer, etc. at your disposal means finishing ahead of Reading, Blackburn, Boro, Bolton, and Portsmouth?

IMO the gap between us and 5th place is not as big as the gap between 5th and 4th. If you're looking at who's going to get the UEFA places then it really all depends on who best gets their act together over the close season.

I'd expect the newly rich clubs like ourselves, West Ham and Villa to be supplanting the likes of Portsmouth, Reading and Bolton and joining Spurs and Everton in that group below the Champions League places. I don't think there's a lot to choose between those clubs at the moment.

I look at our squad and I see us as having the sixth strongest in the league that is under some assumption that reasonable defensive cover will be bought in. If we don't have major injury problems anything less than 8th would be a disappointment.  Villa, Reading, Bolton, Pompey and even Everton are stacked full of average players.

If we finish anywhere in the top 8 then that is good enough. No way should we even think about sacking him after one year though. Roeder had to go. Allardyce is clearly a talented manager but he can't instantly make us into a great team. People are naming players and saying if he can't make them players playing then theres something wrong and he should be sacked. Its not just about the team, its the squad. And we haven't even got a good team yet, nevermind a decent size squad. I really do think its gonna take a bit longer than some people expect for us to get back where we should be. I don't think we'll break into the top 6 the season coming up anyway. If he gets us back into a regular top 6 team in the next couple of years then he's doing a good job. IMO of course.

Surely, you don't think that Roeder should have stayed on. Did you want to give him a chance to build a team? More than a year?  No, I didn't think so.

No because he was a shite manager, in Allerdyce we've got probably the best English manager in the country who given time will get us higher than 7th place so 7th next season or he's sacked is ridiculous.

Who cares if we finish 7th or 10th next season so long as we are improving? we're aiming higher than that and it will take years to build, should Man u have sacked Fergie back in the eighties?

Still think we should wait until September 1st before we can even consider what's a good season. For all we know, we might have spent £50m on 5 or 6 top-class players. Would simply finishing top 8 and settling for top 6 be good enough then?

Thats an important point as well. We can't really assess how good our squad is compared to others until the transfer window is shut. One thing what is looking likely though is next season is gonna be the biggest change of a Newcastle team/squad/tactics, in the space of a summer in a long time. We all hope they instantly click, but if theres 5 or 6 new faces just in the line up then we might have to be patient.