Henry signs for Barcelona

SUPERTOON

Who will Arsenal sign to replace him then? There's no way they'll make do with Adebayor and VP, they'll have to sign someone top class.

Maybe Villa or Torres? Personally I think Torres is overrated but Villa is quality and could suit Arsenal's play.

Who will Arsenal sign to replace him then? There's no way they'll make do with Adebayor and VP, they'll have to sign someone top class.

Maybe Villa or Torres? Personally I think Torres is overrated but Villa is quality and could suit Arsenal's play.

They would both cost significantly more than they've sold Henry for. Not that Arse couldn't afford it, but I don't think that's Wenger's style. Fascinated to see where they turn.

p.s. Messi Ronaldinho Etoo and Henry could create the most exciting attacking force ever seen. Will be interesting to see how it works.

Brazilians thought their world cup squad (Ronaldo, Robinho, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Adriano etc etc) was too good to be true but in the end many believed it was their undoing.

True. That's why I said could. I really am looking forward to seeing how they play next season. I can pretty much guarantee it won't be dull.

It'll be interesting to see if Eto'o stays now. His best season (along with Ronaldinho) was undoubtedly 05-06 but Henry is a better player than Eto'o in my view. It'll be difficult to leave either on the bench for a while. With Ronaldinho and Messi pretty much undroppable it only leaves room for one up front.

Why do people think Owen will just jump ship? Am I the only one who sees Newcastle more attractive than Arsenal AT THE MOMENT?

Arsenal are on the way down and we are on the way up, Owen wont be going there.

Why do people think Owen will just jump ship? Am I the only one who sees Newcastle more attractive than Arsenal AT THE MOMENT?

Champions league football is one good reason............not that i'm sure he'll end up there (or be their main target either)

Henry interview in L'Equipe...

http://lequipe.fr/Football/breves2007/20070623_004734Dev.html

Je dois encore passer la visite médicale lundi. Mais oui, j'ai choisi Barcelone. Je vais y signer pour les quatre prochaines saisons (...) pour le football qu'il pratique, son histoire, son stade. Pour Frank Rijkaard avec lequel j'ai grandi...

(''I must still pass the medical Monday. Yes, I chose Barcelona. I will sign there for the four next seasons (...) for the football they play, its history, its stage. For Frank Rijkaard who I grew up with...'')

Le fait qu'Arsène Wenger ne prolonge pas son contrat...était un autre élément tres important à prendre en considération.

("The fact that Arsène Wenger will not renew his contract...was another element very important to take into account.")

Henry says that last bit as if it were stone cold fact.  Wenger leaving will hurt Arsenal far more than Henry leaving.  And certainly, while the prospect of CL football would appeal to Oba or Owen, the uncertainty of the manager's future will make their potential decision more difficult.

problies brought up elsewhere but i can't be arsed to look through 6 pages to find out:

what just occurred to me is i wonder if wenger believes theo walcott is now ready to make the step up into the henry role in his team?

although different physically the little i've seen suggests similar playing style - quick, graceful, they use the channels well, intelligent in the pass...i'm not sure there's anyone around i've seen who could be as close to henry

wenger has continually sold on his best/older/most influencial players and has ALWAYS had a plan about what he's gonna do next....walcott has become kind of the forgotten man due to his injuries last season but maybe it's time for him to step up?

problies brought up elsewhere but i can't be arsed to look through 6 pages to find out:

what just occurred to me is i wonder if wenger believes theo walcott is now ready to make the step up into the henry role in his team?

although different physically the little i've seen suggests similar playing style - quick, graceful, they use the channels well, intelligent in the pass...i'm not sure there's anyone around i've seen who could be as close to henry

wenger has continually sold on his best/older/most influencial players and has ALWAYS had a plan about what he's gonna do next....walcott has become kind of the forgotten man due to his injuries last season but maybe it's time for him to step up?

I don't think he's ready and neither does Wenger, a couple of more seasons on the wing for Walcott Wenger has stated, then he'll move in the middle.

Is Vela now back from out on loan?

He's already deteriorating fitness-wise and has got two years left in him (as the top class international forward that he currently is). £16m is unturndownable.

Still... they've got some serious work to do now like.

We should be aiming for fourth now.

© O'Nut 2007

If Ashley & Allardyce show some ambition this summer then we should be looking at nicking 4th.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Arsene Wenger will attempt to recruit Carlos Tevez from West Ham or bring back Nicolas Anelka in the wake of striker Thierry Henry's expected departure to from the Emirates Stadium to Barcelona. (Various)

This is getting more column inches than Owen or Martins so it is not cut and dried

Agree. Wenger has more or less said that this is his last season at Arsenal. That's not very encouraging talk for any potential new signing.

This is THE worst day of my 17 years as a Gooner

This hurts more than the champions league final, a hell of a lot more

WHat is happening to the Club, this is all down to the Board showing Dein the boot after his talks with the yanks

we NEED the yanks now, now it is a matter of money for Arsenal FC

I feel physically sick

16 mill can not be true, surely, i want eto'o plus that MINIMUM!

This is THE worst day of my 17 years as a Gooner

This hurts more than the champions league final, a hell of a lot more

WHat is happening to the Club, this is all down to the Board showing Dein the boot after his talks with the yanks

we NEED the yanks now, now it is a matter of money for Arsenal FC

I feel physically sick

16 mill can not be true, surely, i want eto'o plus that MINIMUM!

Probably had a £16M 'buy out' clause.

Very probably.

Agree. Wenger has more or less said that this is his last season at Arsenal. That's not very encouraging talk for any potential new signing.

Wonder if it could have a similar effect as Sir Bobby leaving had for us - knowing the gaffer is not stick around must be terribly destabilising for a club. Any prospective signing would think twice, and a lot of the better players might start thinking about their own futures after the coming season. Very different cases obviously, but similarities exist...

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Arsenal board cut their losses and let Wenger leave for Madrid - obviously not ideal for them, but a possibility?