Wenger reportedly wants Oba for 13 million according to Sun.

madras

Guest zerocipher

That might be a bit extreme, but I bet there's going to be some fun and games off the pitch next season, esp. with the ANC coming up.

But really how is it extreme?

The 22-year-old said: "They shot indiscriminately and tried to kill all the occupants of the car. They weren't there to rob me, but to finish me off.

"I thought I was going to die. They executed it like professional hired assassins. They didn't say anything to me but just started shooting at the car."

Martins, who hours earlier had been playing for Nigeria, added: "I didn't know their mission but they looked scary and mean.

"My nerves were completely dead when I saw the guns. If you're attacked by armed robbers, they only threaten you and take whatever they want. But these guys were only after my life. How I managed to escape is still shocking and unbelievable. Maybe someone up there loves me more than I could imagine, because only He could explain what happened.

"My mother is scared they could come back again. She almost passed out when she saw the car. She just kept asking who wants me dead.

"I don't feel safe in Lagos any more and don't think I want to return so fast. I was born in Lagos but when I don't feel safe in my home town, then something must be wrong."

2 days later

But, as reported in later editions of yesterday's Chronicle, the English-language website of a Nigerian newspaper has quoted a Lagos police chief who gave a different version of events.

This Day said its reporters had spoken to Lagos State Command Police spokesman Olubode Ojajuni. It is said Mr Ojajuni disputed that Martins was even in the car at the time of the incident.

He is quoted as saying he visited Martin's pal, Remi Onipede, in hospital after Mr Onipede lodged a call with police to say he had been shot in the hand and shoulder. My Ojajunui goes on to say he had been told Martins was not in the car at the time of the gun attack.

Martins' agent Jonathan Barnet said his client was safe in Italy but refused to confirm any details about the incident.

So what are we to believe. Granted its Nigeria, but its still an official statement from the police.

No, I mean he obviously lied and who knows his reasons behind that (trying to get out of future Nigeria matches? Some kind of possible asylum for his family? Who knows?!), but it doesn't necessarily mean that he's a compulsive liar. However, it seems to me that he has not settled in Newcastle, with his trips to Italy and some misbehaviour at the end of last season. I can see some strops on the horizon.

If I was a player I would obviously want to have Wenger as my manager.

I believe as Martins has said, he is happy here, his agent and advisors however will undoubtedly want him to go elsewhere.

Arsene is the biggest pulling factor, of course CL is aswell. Potentially with the takeover and Big Sams arrival players should be excited about the clubs future.

If he wants out and we have to sell him, Martins apparently would prefer a move abroad, IE Juve rather than Arsenal. This would make it alot easier with the £13m

Martins is the sort of player who will never fulfill his potential with us, so I can see why he would want to go.

Plus the added factors of, the extra money, bigger name team, non long ball football, Champions League,  London etc...

new era now mate things are changing forever up her ,have faith .

Martins is the sort of player who will never fulfill his potential with us, so I can see why he would want to go.

Plus the added factors of, the extra money, bigger name team, non long ball football, Champions League,  London etc...

Talk about "living in the PAST". 

An amazing collection of words.

How long will it be before some people realise what this club already was, is now, and is about to be (already happening).

Hopefully, this type of 'Inferiority Complex' thinking will soon disappear. It could take a while for some.

Guest elbee909

If Charlton can hold out for 18-odd million for Bent, and they _NEED_ the money having been relegated, we should be looking for at LEAST the same for Martins.  At least.  As we're not in the same desperate position as Charlton are, are we?  So £20million minimum should be what's talked about as far as I'm concerned.

3 million profit = tidy?  Please... that's bugger all in the new scheme of things.  Arsenal have 16 million from Henry burning a hole in their pockets and if such a "Top 4" club can't dig a bit deeper then they can fuck off.

I wouldn't have thought that Martins was suited to Arsenal, so I'm surprised at all this. Martins is strong and fast, but his touch on the ball is really poor.

The 17 goals statistic is a bit deceptive. 6 of them came in the UEFA cup against mostly weak opposition.

He can be dangerous all right, but I don't think he's going to improve much above the level that he is now.

If Charlton can hold out for 18-odd million for Bent, and they _NEED_ the money having been relegated, we should be looking for at LEAST the same for Martins.  At least.  As we're not in the same desperate position as Charlton are, are we?  So £20million minimum should be what's talked about as far as I'm concerned.

3 million profit = tidy?  Please... that's bugger all in the new scheme of things.  Arsenal have 16 million from Henry burning a hole in their pockets and if such a "Top 4" club can't dig a bit deeper then they can fuck off.

Martins has a £13 million release clause.

If Arsenal bid 13M & activate his buyout clause he will go. He has no ties to Newcastle & the buy out clause is there so he can go if something better comes along. TBH I'd rather Arsenal captured him rather than Owen. The obvious problem is that someone else may come along & take Owen.

New Rule Number One - If buy out clauses are now the norm make sure that we insert a ridiculous figure.

I don't understand why there are comments about what we should do with the money from the sale; the money is or certainly should be irrelevant to us now.

I would love to see Gudjohnson & Baines here; I doubt that Gudjohnson would come & there is a school of though that Sam doesn't see Baines as being big enough. I'd stay away from Anelka - we could never play Viduka & home together as it is potentially the laziest forward line you could imagine.

Thinking about it, it did look from Allardyce's buying of Viduka, and his comments afterwards, that he saw Shola and Viduka competing for one place, and Owen and Martins competing for the other. In that situation, I can well see at least one of Owen and Martins going.

Guest elbee909

Martins has a £13 million release clause.

Fix that then, even if we have to give a sign-on fee to Oba to do it.

Guest Geordiesned

Apologies if this has already been written but The Independent are also reporting this story.

Guest Guinness

Would be gutted to see Oba leave, but unfortunately if Arsenal are interested in him there is nothing we can do :(.

Martins scored 17 goals, 2 of them pens. So effectively he scored 15 goals in 50 odd games, many of those against firemen and policemen in the Waffa. Good haul :thup:

I really like Martins when i watch him play, dont know if im catching his good matches, but i would really be happy with this signing.

I would prefer Benni McCarthy though out of any of the realistic Premier League targets!

One thing that does have to be said though is although Martins and Owen both score goals, they don't really do much else in terms of team build up and linking up. Its good to have a striker who can go 70 minutes without touching the ball, then scoring with his first chance, but would it be good to have potentially two players who you might not even realize are on the pitch for a lot of the game? I rate both of them like. Don't think its good for the team to have them on the pitch at the same time though.

Would be very easy to put together a team with great build up  and linking play but no one to put the ball in the net at the end of it all.

Guest teepee

i think letting him go (if we can avoid it) is extremely stupid. i agree that his first touch and finishing sometimes leaves a bit to be desired, but i reckon he'll improve in his second season after settling in.

his pace is so so important, just look what happened after we got rid of the welsh midget! without martins our only really pacy player is dyer, and i don't think he'll be playing much under sam. zoggy adds a bit as well, but owen isn't really pacy anymore.

please martins - be realistic, nufc are a club on the up, and arse are on the down :) (ok, that might be a bit optimistic...)

Just realised, this is is hughly unlikely to happen, he will be going of to the African Cup of Nations in ?February? that would be him and Adebayor leaving us with just RVP and Bendtner, i think this is definately a non starter now!