Edmilson agrees move to NUFC. Or not? - SSN

magorific

Maybe it was a preliminary talk about coming to Newcastle at the end of the season, when his contract has expired, and presumably he's fit again.

I absolutely cannot believe that in our situation we're trying to sign him up now though. He's a 30 year old who's still recovering from a knee injury. There's no certainty about recovery times, and in any case, he may not come back the same player.

I can't see it being us looking a year ahead, we've got too much to do now to waste time like that, even if it is only a day or two.

If we bring in Beye and Geremi to add to Rozehnal, then Edmilson would surely be our last centre-back signing.

We'd already have four, Taylor-Rozehnal-Beye-Edmilson, for two positions, plus Ramage-Huntington-Edgar. There'd be no justification to sign more.

I hope those who want Edmilson realise that. We're a man down until christmas and if anything goes wrong in his recovery we could find ourselves getting the chequebook out again in January.

If we bring in Beye and Geremi to add to Rozehnal, then Edmilson would surely be our last centre-back signing.

We'd already have four Taylor-Rozehnal-Beye-Edmilson for two positions, plus Ramage, Huntington, Edgar. There'd be no justification to sign more.

I hope the people justifying this player realise that. We're a man down until christmas and if anything goes wrong in his recovery we could find ourselves getting the chequebook out again in January.

I think we could sign another CB. Beye can play RB. Geremi can play either flank. Huntington is likely to be loaned out. Edgar probobly isn't ready yet. Then with Edmilson out until November we'll most likely need another CB.

The thinking is probably along the lines that 30 yrs old isn't really that old for a CB. I didn't particularly rate Speed when he was here, but Sam took him to Bolton in his 30's and for Bolton he was perfect. A box to box, high jumping midfielder at his best when the ball is in the air.

You can only assume that Sam thinks he will be getting a class CB who he is prepared to wait a few months for, in the meantime the likes of Rozenhal, Taylor and Beye could do the job while Edmilson recovers.

As for the 80k, wanting it isn't the same as getting it. I would think the package would have to be right for Newcastle if there is any future in this deal.

Guest exilim

The thinking is probably along the lines that 30 yrs old isn't really that old for a CB. I didn't particularly rate Speed when he was here, but Sam took him to Bolton in his 30's and for Bolton he was perfect. A box to box, high jumping midfielder at his best when the ball is in the air.

You can only assume that Sam thinks he will be getting a class CB who he is prepared to wait a few months for, in the meantime the likes of Rozenhal, Taylor and Beye could do the job while Edmilson recovers.

As for the 80k, wanting it isn't the same as getting it. I would think the package would have to be right for Newcastle if there is any future in this deal.

Exactly what i am thinking too.

If edmilson asks for 80k, i bet gudjohnson will go for 100k.

Guest samtoonarmy

Ive herd that the fee is £700,000 and thats not a bad price for him. However he is out until October with a knee injury.

Beye/Rozenhal/Edmilson  ... hmm... not much proven Premiership quality in there. Plenty of experience, which is what we're begging for, just not in this league. Really would prefer it if we put Edmilson on the back-burner and went for someone Premiership based. Especially if the crock is asking for £80k-a-week, which is a farcical amount.

Not that i'm one to criticise Sam's judgement. :D

Btw guys, were there any successful brazil defenders in Epl for the past few years?

How many Brazilian players have there been at all? Gilberto's alright.

Always makes me laugh this 'well last time we bought a Spanish player for £9.5m look what happened' attitude. Complete nonsense. :lol:

Guest exilim

So gilberto was almost the only brazilian in the past years that has been successful uh. Did juninho actually flopped at Boro? lol

So gilberto was almost the only brazilian in the past years that has been successful uh. Did juninho actually flopped at Boro? lol

I think the question is, how many brazilian defenders have even come to the league? and secondly Edmilson isn't a defender.

I don't understand your point.

As I said before, in my opinion it's a load of rubbish to suggest we shouldn't buy player X because of tenuous links to player Y who flopped. That's separate to this case btw, i'd be concerned due to the injury thing.

Guest exilim

Just couldnt recall any Brazilians who were successful in the league other than Gilberto, are there? (Talking about the past few years)

Last World Cup winning Brazillian defender to come to the premiership from European Cup winning team:

Roque Junior

OMG! Edmilson MUST be rubbish then!

:lol:

I agree. Persuing this matter any further will only waste valuable seconds.

Just couldnt recall any Brazilians who were successful in the league other than Gilberto, are there? (Talking about the past few years)

You mean to say that we're not allowed to count Mirandinha? :(

I think the question is, how many brazilian defenders have even come to the league? and secondly Edmilson isn't a defender.

Edmilson is originally a centre back by trade who has been used regularly in defensive midfield by Barcelona in recent seasons, partly due to the fact Puyol, Marquez and Thuram mean he would never get a game in central defence. He is a defender.

You mean to say that we're not allowed to count Mirandinha? :(

Aye, but you're forgetting that he was up here before football was invented in 1992.